• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Legend of Korra Book 4: Balance

Stitch

AKA Patrick
ZD Champion
Omg, the inspiration that episode took from Empire Strikes Back was awesome. The scene where Korra fought that vision/spirit of herself was like that scene where Luke fights the vision of Darth Vader. Toph is basically Yoda, omg.

Mask-Salesman

And now.. That imp has it
Omg, the inspiration that episode took from Empire Strikes Back was awesome. The scene where Korra fought that vision/spirit of herself was like that scene where Luke fights the vision of Darth Vader. Toph is basically Yoda, omg.

Very interesting observation indeed, it is kinda like that scene! Loved the new episode, but I still think this season needs to speed up. I really hope it won't be an entire season about Korra finding herself.

TheRizardon

poog tnalp yknuhc
Today's episode was lacking something for me. I felt that it needed more Korra and Toph, Airbenders, and less Mako and the brat king that no one likes.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
THAT EPISODE OH MY GOSH TOPH TOOOOOOOOOOOPH SHE'S SO GREAT I LOVE HER SHE'S PERFECT

All in all, the episode was great. I could feel the sense of foreboding about Kuvira the whole time leading up to her usurping leadership of the Earth Kingdom. And Prince Wu finally starting to realize he's not the perfect king he thought he was? Nice. I hope he turns it around and does something good. Also, Bolin clearly had some hesitation about sticking with Kuvira, which I like. I hope he makes the right choice and sticks with his friends. Also, that spirit vine thing Varrick's messing with? Wonder what that's all about... I'm excited to see where this goes.

And let's not forget this beautiful piece of animation:

tumblr_ndl3mvaJwi1tda6puo2_500.gif

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
TOPH CALLING KORRA BLIND WAS PERFECT

Kuvira gets what she wants. That is all.

But seriously, Kuvira's warning to Su hits the heart.

If you watch the trailer closely, Su's in one Kuvira's robots -- which is what I think Varrick's building -- so Zaofu obviously falls into Kuvira's hands.

I liked this episode a lot, but I'm not sure why Wu is getting so much screentime unless he's somehow important.

Mask-Salesman

I liked this episode a lot, but I'm not sure why Wu is getting so much screentime unless he's somehow important.

Me neither, I really don't get this character. Is it a rule for anime creators to come up with a character that everybody thinks is annoying? Come on, I really hope this winey, ignorant character gets a lot of screentime. This might be the last season in the Avatar storyline EVER and I really, really don't want the screentime wasted on some stupid character that's been around for only one season. I mean come on! The episodes only last 20 minutes! Use the time that is given to the makers better!!!!

Stitch

AKA Patrick
ZD Champion
Am I the only one who kind of likes Wu? He is annoying, yet in all the right ways. He's incredibly different than Kuvira and it really helps show the split between Bolin's and Mako's paths. I especially love how Toph is Yoda to Korra's Luke and the overall inspiration this is taking from Star Wars (Kuvira's "Empire"). I'm loving Book 4 so far.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Me neither, I really don't get this character. Is it a rule for anime creators to come up with a character that everybody thinks is annoying? Come on, I really hope this winey, ignorant character gets a lot of screentime. This might be the last season in the Avatar storyline EVER and I really, really don't want the screentime wasted on some stupid character that's been around for only one season. I mean come on! The episodes only last 20 minutes! Use the time that is given to the makers better!!!!

Um, Korra isn't anime. Also, I have a feeling that Wu is gonna go through a lot of character development and come out of it as a better person and do something great. He's probably not around for a single reason, he's probably gonna be really important. That's what I think, anyway.

Damn, I wasn't sure if I'd like old Toph at first, but this episode proved me completely wrong. Her lines are especially well thought out. "You're blind compared to me" was my favorite. I can't wait to see Korra continue improving under her tutelage.

I've gotta agree with everyone else about Wu starting to look like he has the potential to be a well developed character as the book progresses. I felt sorry for the poor guy when he realized he was so spoiled upon realizing that no one had criticized him personally before.

Here's hoping for an even better episode next week. Magic weed plant time ^_^

Fig

The Altruist

First of all, Korra is not an anime nor that it was in the first place. Animation is only considered anime if it's from Japanese origins. Korra is in fact inspired by anime but it is however not anime. It's similar to how Darksiders takes a large amount of inspiration from the Legend of Zelda series, but it isn't a Zelda game. And about Prince/King Wu, he was created for a reason. Everything is going to have their annoyances, but it's not like the creators purposely made an annoying character just for laughs and then the fandom gets riled up about it. To be honest, I was annoyed at Varrick when I first saw him back in Book 2. Now look at Varrick, practically everyone in the fandom loves Varrick and yet people automatically assume Prince Wu is a wasteful character despite both starting out as annoying characters. If anything, Prince Wu is obviously going to go through a lot of character development simply because he was introduced later on in the Book 4.

Characters that tend to be disliked by the community early on of a season, comic book, introduction of a video game and what you tend to be characters that latch on to the community yet characters that also appear as annoying and were introduced say during the middle or near the end of the season will usually not be focused as much and could potentially even achieve death before the season is over (i.e. The Earth Queen in Book 3). All I'm saying is while Prince Wu is not having the best start, he will have an impact by end of the last season of Korra.

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
First of all, Korra is not an anime nor that it was in the first place. Animation is only considered anime if it's from Japanese origins. Korra is in fact inspired by anime but it is however not anime. It's similar to how Darksiders takes a large amount of inspiration from the Legend of Zelda series, but it isn't a Zelda game. And about Prince/King Wu, he was created for a reason. Everything is going to have their annoyances, but it's not like the creators purposely made an annoying character just for laughs and then the fandom gets riled up about it. To be honest, I was annoyed at Varrick when I first saw him back in Book 2. Now look at Varrick, practically everyone in the fandom loves Varrick and yet people automatically assume Prince Wu is a wasteful character despite both starting out as annoying characters. If anything, Prince Wu is obviously going to go through a lot of character development simply because he was introduced later on in the Book 4.

Characters that tend to be disliked by the community early on of a season, comic book, introduction of a video game and what you tend to be characters that latch on to the community yet characters that also appear as annoying and were introduced say during the middle or near the end of the season will usually not be focused as much and could potentially even achieve death before the season is over (i.e. The Earth Queen in Book 3). All I'm saying is while Prince Wu is not having the best start, he will have an impact by end of the last season of Korra.

The difference between Varrick and Wu is the fact that Varrick was introduced in Book 2, and Wu in Book 4. This is the last Book for LoK, and potentially the last Book of the Avatar series as a whole. So far 2 out of the 3 aired episodes have devoted a decent amount of time to Wu and his antics, and anyone who's a fan of the series knows we don't have the largest episode slots in the world. I think his ultimate purpose is to set up a foil for Kuvira (unless that's Korra's job, but I'm not quite sure yet), and that he'll eventually develop and mature into a fit ruler for the Earth Kingdom (we saw some of this into today's episode).

We've got to wait and see where this goes.

Fig

The Altruist
The difference between Varrick and Wu is the fact that Varrick was introduced in Book 2, and Wu in Book 4. This is the last Book for LoK, and potentially the last Book of the Avatar series as a whole. So far 2 out of the 3 aired episodes have devoted a decent amount of time to Wu and his antics, and anyone who's a fan of the series knows we don't have the largest episode slots in the world. I think his ultimate purpose is to set up a foil for Kuvira (unless that's Korra's job, but I'm not quite sure yet), and that he'll eventually develop and mature into a fit ruler for the Earth Kingdom (we saw some of this into today's episode).

We've got to wait and see where this goes.

You are correct that this is probably the last Book in the Avatar series (though judging by how the creators have been talking about Book 4 for Korra, I'm very certain this will be the last season of the entire franchise), however there is still is a reason why Wu was even developed. I'm very certain the creators know about how the fans reacted when Book 4 was announced and I'm very certain that they don't want to disappoint fans. This is why Book 3 exploded with praise throughout the fandom since practically everyone thought Book 2 was a joke and thus the creators had to push themselves harder in order for Book 3 to payoff at the end to which it did. Again I'm very certain Prince Wu will have an impact in this season as he was revealed quite early in the season. I get it, fans don't want to be disappointed for the last season of Korra but the season just began and I think it's only fair to start criticizing by the 6th or 7th episode. And considering that for a character like Wu to realize just how unfit he is to rule the Earth Kingdom/Empire, that's a huge step of character development for someone with a personality like Wu so again, I'm very certain he will make an impact throughout the season.

Mask-Salesman

Yeah guys, I know it's not anime, just a figure op speach for me. I hate saying cartoon, it's downgrading. I'm not that much of an anime fan myself, so forgive me my ignorance.

OT: I'm still not getting that ''wow'' factor from this season. Maybe last season set the stakes to high, but I'm just not feeling it. Why did the entire third episode revolve so much about that extremely annoying and childish king and Mako? Why not more about Su Lin and Kuvira? Why almost no screen time for Tenzin and his siblings? Why no screen time at all for Kai in the Earth Kingdom?

I also really hope that next episode Korra will finally get on her feet. I like that she was finally shown to be vulnerable at the beginning of the season, which makes her human. But it really shouldn't last an entire season. Next episode she needs to regain her strength and start doing her Avatar duties again. I personally think fighting the Earth Empire might even be a greater challenge than Aang fighting the Fire Nation. What do you guys think?

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
OT: I'm still not getting that ''wow'' factor from this season. Maybe last season set the stakes to high, but I'm just not feeling it. Why did the entire third episode revolve so much about that extremely annoying and childish king and Mako? Why not more about Su Lin and Kuvira? Why almost no screen time for Tenzin and his siblings? Why no screen time at all for Kai in the Earth Kingdom?

I also really hope that next episode Korra will finally get on her feet. I like that she was finally shown to be vulnerable at the beginning of the season, which makes her human. But it really shouldn't last an entire season. Next episode she needs to regain her strength and start doing her Avatar duties again. I personally think fighting the Earth Empire might even be a greater challenge than Aang fighting the Fire Nation. What do you guys think?

Well, as a bunch of us said earlier, the reason Wu is getting so much screen time is probably because he's gonna be really important. He's clearly going through character development. I mean, think about it, would you really want him to just be there solely to have Kuvira usurp him? That would make him such a wasted character.

There's no way Korra will get through this in the next episode. No. Way. You've seen how she is. This trauma isn't something she can just shake off. Getting through this in just one more episode would be ridiculously rushed and be poor story writing, especially considering how much they've built this up. I doubt it will be the whole season, but I imagine it'd be the greater part of it.

What I think will happen is that the others will be unable to defeat Kuvira on their own. And once Korra is better, she joins the fight and helps them defeat her. They only win with her help, so Korra finally regains her confidence and realizes the world really does still need her.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
THE NEW EPISOOOOOOODE. MEELOOOOOOOOOOOO. AIRBENDER SIBLINGSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

Toph was amazing as usual. I loved the banter between the airbender kids. The only thing I didn't like is that Korra seems to be all better already. I sincerely hope she's not out of the woods yet, because that's too fast. It's too soon for all the build up they've had. I want her to keep struggling with her demons while she's doing her avatar thing, especially that spirit Korra. We never really found out what that was, anyway. It seemed to be just in her mind, but that spirit could see it, so there's probably more to it than that. At least, I hope so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom