• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Legend of Korra Book 4: Balance

Mask-Salesman

And now.. That imp has it
Excellent finale guys. Man, I feel so empty now that I know it's over. It's really over... Gawd, I reaaaaaaally need more Avatar episodes. With Korra or maybe even the new Earthbender Avatar as a new series, though I think it will never happen. Loved every bit of the finale. The fights were awesome, the dialogues, the music, the ending. All that is left now is the emptyness of finishing such a great series :P

Sydney

The Good Samaritan

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
NO GUYS KORRASAMI IS ACTUALLY CANON

http://michaeldantedimartino.tumblr...korrasami-confirmed-now-that-korra-and-asamis

bryankonietzko.tumblr.com/post/105916338157/korrasami-is-canon-you-can-celebrate-it-embrace

It's real, it's canon. For those who thought it was all platonic, this is where you're wrong. See your mistake, take off your damn hetero lens and just look. Marvel this pairing, look how well it was developed!!

Beautifully typed posts by Bryke, each brought tears to my eyes. :)

I posted this in Snow Queen's blog and thought about posting it in here too, but you beat me to it. xD

YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW HAPPY THIS MAKES ME SERIOUSLY GOD BLESS THOSE GUYS Representation is ridiculously important and god bless Mike and Bryke for doing this.

Garo

Boy Wonder
I speculated back at the end of season three that season four's big thematic thrust would be Korra's coming to grips with the fact that maybe the world doesn't need the Avatar anymore, and that the series would end with the ultimate conclusion of the Avatar Cycle itself.

Instead, the show took that concept and trampled it, delivering a season that shows not why the Avatar isn't necessary anymore, but why the Avatar is more necessary than ever. Because the Avatar is, at its core, a bridge. A person who can move between the spirit world and the human world, who can treat with both sides, who can understand and empathize with both. But it is also a bridge between humans. A person who knows both suffering and strength, power and weakness, and a person who has moved between those things many times. A person who knows these things and what it is like to have and have lost, and a person who can use that knowledge to help others. It is so immensely fitting that, though it certainly required a show of strength to shock Kuvira into listening, the final showdown was not a long, drawn out fight sequence that ends with some draconian punishment placed on the Great Uniter, but rather a simple conversation on the fields of the spirit world, where the Avatar laid out in front of the militant dictator just how similar they were, just how much she could understand the struggles of another.

The fact that compassion won the day rather than a raw show of strength is so beyond my wildest expectations for what this show would do. New villains for a new age require new methods for a new age. The obvious good vs. evil narrative of the original show was gone in this new paradigm, where morally grey was the trend of the day (except for Unalaq, but let's forget season 2 entirely, shall we?), and Korra's entire arc being about learning to empathize rather than demonize? Learning to treat rather than to beat? Oh my god, it's perfect. I love it. I love it. I love it.

Blown away, Bryke. You really did it. A fitting send off to seven wonderful seasons.

I eagerly await whatever world you dream up next.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Once again, the Avatar series has delivered a sensational adventure in total. Nearly every single aspect of the series was altogether flawless, from the anti-bender propaganda of Amon to Unalaq's craving for dark power through spiritual unity. Where The Last Airbender sought to build the world, The Legend of Korra spent an adequate amount of time expanding on it, especially with the added touch of a 1940's civilization mixed in with the prior oriental influences.

Regarding the last two books, which I marathoned for a few days, they brought about a deeper, more satisfying development than the first two arguably did. Korra primarily was pushed to her limits countless times, and struggled with feelings of inadequacy ever since the ties with her past lineage were severed in Spirits. Tenzin, Bolin, Mako, and Asami all stuck by her side through thick and thin, and received strenuous hardships that impacted their behavior and made them seem all the more likable and mature. Their teamwork and camaraderie is what really pushed me to keep watching while they faced devastating foes such as Zaheer and Kuvira, both of whom tested Team Avatar's very ideals and ideologies, even to the point of disillusionment.

All of the side characters left a memorable mark as well, with the exception of two. The first is Prince Wu (early on in the show) who 1. even for a young adult could not get a grasp on doing some of the most basic human functions without Mako attending him everywhere; and 2. kept making incessant, eye-roll inducing attempts at "comedy" that served as nothing more than boring filler. When he developed, though, it was well-done. The second is Bolin's grandma, easily the most obnoxious and useless character in the show. In Book 3, whenever her house was burning down and she refused to leave because "it was her home", she was endangering the lives her entire family over mere possessions. Every other scene that included her only reinforced how irritating her character was.

A number of plot points were touched on but neglected by the end of Book 4. For starters, when Korra was in the Spirit World before the final battle, Rava suddenly appeared and greeted her, but afterwards she's never heard from again. Seeing as Rava had "always been with/inside of" Korra, why wasn't this used as an advantage to restore all of the past Avatars? I'm also curious as to what happened between Opal and Bolin, because last everyone had heard they were not on speaking terms. The former especially should have been elaborated; it seemed that they wanted to bring Rava back to assist in the last showdown, but dropped it last second.

Overall, the conclusion tied together in a pretty solid manner, and despite some loose ends and annoyances the whole series was spectacular. My one and only complaint is that Toph never had a chance to face off against Kuvira; even in her elder years, the matriarch of metalbending would have dismantled the Great Uniter and could do some serious damage to the giant mech suit (from within).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom