• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Legend of Korra Book 4: Balance

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
Yessss, another good episode! The Beifong family is my favorite, and I love all of them! Also some people have made a note the one of the upcoming episodes, titled "Kuvira's Gambit", may result in the sacrifice of someone. I'm not sure if it will be a literal sacrifice, but I do believe Bataar Jr. will be involved. I can see him switching sides after he tried to stop the weapon from firing. Oh well, who knows? I'm so excited for the next episode!!

#NAILEDIT

Man, **** Kuvira. I knew that she wouldn't listen to Batar Jr., and that she was nowhere near as committed as he to their relationship, but that is one cold stab in the back.

Anyhow, that giant mech is pretty cool. It definitely caught me off guard.

While this episode didn't have some amazing moment like Korra meeting with Zaheer or Su Beifong fighting Kuvira from the last two episodes, respectively, it did do a few things well. Prince Wu's speech was really fitting to his character - he really is becoming a man of the people; in contrast to his predecessors, he understands the plight of normal citizens, and it really shows. On another note, it was great see Zhu Li standing up to Varrick as an equal. I hope Varick sees the errors in his ways by show's end. Also, this episode had some pretty funny highlights, namely seeing Tenzin in the airbender jumpsuit and Korra sneaking in that fart joke.

Can't wait for next week!

Fig

The Altruist
Not going to post my thoughts on last week's episode since pretty much I agree with everyone about what happened during Kuvira's Gambit. That said, I will be giving off my thoughts on tonight's series finale that will be online at nick.com at 9 PM PST. For those that might need a time converter, here you go. Do note, you can change the time zone by click under "USA" on the left side of the time converter.
tumblr_ngr9yaSWbv1r2bm13o1_1280.png

Last edited:
Oh man, I can't wait for the series finale. I know it'll be solid, but I'm unsure how it'll top book 3's fantastic ending. I wonder if Korra will sacrifice herself (probably not since it's a Nick show) or somehow accept that the world doesn't need an Avatar anymore. I personally want to see her regain her connection with the past Avatars although I'm not sure how it can be done.

Do you guys have any predictions or expectations?

Pen

The game is on!
Oh man, I can't wait for the series finale. I know it'll be solid, but I'm unsure how it'll top book 3's fantastic ending. I wonder if Korra will sacrifice herself (probably not since it's a Nick show) or somehow accept that the world doesn't need an Avatar anymore. I personally want to see her regain her connection with the past Avatars although I'm not sure how it can be done.

Do you guys have any predictions or expectations?

Isn't Rava able to heal from anything (given enough time)? Because of that I think it should be possible for Korra to regain her connection with the past Avatars. Speaking of sacrifices by the way, there was Yue's (spelling might be a bit off) sacrifice at the end of Book 1 of The Last Airbender, so I wouldn't put the possibility of someone sacrificing oneself completely past the creators (although I still doubt it'll end with Korra dying).

Fig

The Altruist
And that's a wrap to The Legend of Korra. To think just two years ago, Korra was hyped across the globe being the continuation of Avatar now has come to a close. Everything about this series finale was done perfectly. The intense action, the charming romance, the unexpected losses, everything about this two-part episode was just perfect. I can now understand why some of the staff members think that this finale was much better than the Avatar's and I will agree with them on that statement. It was a perfect way to end the series and while I wish there was more, only time can truly tell. Even if there is no more Avatar for the rest of our lives, I'm perfectly happy with how it ended with Korra. Now onto the review of the two episodes.

To kick the finale off, the finale really played around with my emotions throughout the entire two-part ending. We left out with Kuvira firing an attack at Korra and co. and they planned to use the humming birds as their only way to stop Kuvira. What really surprised me was Hiroshi Sato's return to help take down Kuvira. I thought it was heart-warming to see Asami forgive her father in the end. And that's another thing I want to make a point on, Hiroshi Sato's death. I wasn't expecting this and I personally felt the impact of his death as Asami just forgave her father and had to witness his death with her own eyes. I won't lie, but I did felt tears dripping down my face as I simply couldn't handle what just happened. That said, I was also couldn't stop smiling when I realized that the romance between Varrick and Zhu Li. I couldn't help but feel giddy for the two. As for Prince Wu, I had no doubt that he was going to have an incredible amount of character development. He has matured into the person I knew he was going to be. I called it when I said he would be great at the end of the season.

First of all, Korra is not an anime nor that it was in the first place. Animation is only considered anime if it's from Japanese origins. Korra is in fact inspired by anime but it is however not anime. It's similar to how Darksiders takes a large amount of inspiration from the Legend of Zelda series, but it isn't a Zelda game. And about Prince/King Wu, he was created for a reason. Everything is going to have their annoyances, but it's not like the creators purposely made an annoying character just for laughs and then the fandom gets riled up about it. To be honest, I was annoyed at Varrick when I first saw him back in Book 2. Now look at Varrick, practically everyone in the fandom loves Varrick and yet people automatically assume Prince Wu is a wasteful character despite both starting out as annoying characters. If anything, Prince Wu is obviously going to go through a lot of character development simply because he was introduced later on in Book 4.

As always the animation and fighting scenes were impeccable. I really enjoyed viewing each frame throughout the finale. I was at the edge of my seat nearly all 44 minutes of the finale and my emotions were being conflicted from happiness, stress, sadness, anger, and relief. I can honestly say that the way Korra ended was the best way it could have done and I am happy to have been a part of it.

Last edited:

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I'm honestly blown away. I always wondered if they could top Book 3's finale, and they did. They TOTALLY DID. Wow. W. O. W. This was seriously amazing. I really loved the music; as usual, the music for the final battles was the best in the season. Animation was amazing. Everything was amazing. Holy cow. I loved the expressions on Kuvira's face. You could pinpoint the exact moments she lost her composure and realized she's in serious danger. The characters' emotions were portrayed so darn well, both on their faces and in their voices. And a new spirit portal? Gosh damn. I never saw that coming. Like, seriously. Wow. They really portrayed just how dangerous that spirit weapon was so well.

Seeing Prince Wu's character development was amazing. I am so happy he turned out to be a great leader. And I was honestly scared Mako would die. Thank god he didn't. I'm kinda shocked Hiroshi died, but then, most of the Red Lotus died, too, but still. On-screen deaths are so rare for this series. Asami's pained expression stabbed my heart. Just like everything else, especially during the ending celebration. VARRICK AND ZHU LI ARE CANON HELL YEAH. I squealed during that scene. And the dialogue between Korra and Tenzin was so bittersweet. And the ending with Korra and Asami made me squeal.

To be honest, I want more. A lot more. But that's only natural. I'm so satisfied with how it ended, but I'm also really sad, too. Even as I'm writing this, my heart is aching and I feel so conflicted. I can't tell if I want to cheer or cry. Maybe both. I will always love this series, and it will always hold a very special place in my heart. Thank you for everything, Legend of Korra. And thank you to the wonderful people who made the series possible. I will always cherish the amazing times I had watching this amazing story unfold.

Last edited:
"Zhu Li, will you do the thing with me for the rest of our lives together?" That line hooked me onto the conclusion to The Legend of Korra and the emotions never let go.

I remember when the show first aired people were worried if it could match Avatar: The Last Airbender. As a kid who loved the original series, this one touched my heart as a young adult.

The finale really tied together the theme of open mindness and trying to understand where others are coming from even if their methods seem cruel and unusual. Korra's flashback at the Red Lotus hideout set her on this path, and her realization of her similarities with Kuvira cemented it.

One of my biggest gripes with Korra early on is that some characters didn't receive proper development. Lin Beifong was absent or making foolish decisions for the Chief of Police in Book 2; Mako was demoted to a boring bodyguard for the majority of book 4; Asami was relegated to a tiny role for the second half of the show. The last two episodes changed everything. It was so good to see Team Avatar, the Beifong's, the Airbender, and the non-bending geniuses duking it out against Kuvira together. Mako lightning bending the spirit vine reactor and Bolin lava bending the giant techs feet especially stood out.

Prince Wu, excuse me, King Wu, rose to the occasion and realized that perhaps his enemies weren't wrong in their goals, only in execution. For a character I had written off halfway through, his scenes in the last three episodes meant a lot to me. A natural leader is someone who stands up for all his people and doesn't let fame, riches, and glory get to his head. Wu is a true "man of the people".

The finale was also one of contrasts - murder vs. mercy and true love vs. false promises. I couldn't help but shed a tear when Hiroshi Sato sacrificed himself to infiltrate the giant mech. He truly redeemed himself. Asami also realized the value of forgiveness and just when a glimpse of reunion of the Sato family presented itself, it was torn apart. Yet despite her heinous deeds, Korra spared Kuvira and found another way to end it. I couldn't help but see the parallels to Aang's refusal to kill Ozai.

Although we only saw him briefly, I was glad to see Bataar Jr. finally realize the error of his ways. I didn't like him at first, but he grew on me after he wanted the cannon test called off upon seeing Opal in danger. The emotion in his tone of voice really struck a chord with me. It was brilliant seeing that juxtaposed to Varrick and Zhu Li's marriage at the end - two people with a passion for science accepting each other's imperfections and embracing their similarities.

Oh, and while we're touching on love it looks like the directors are officially Korrasami shippers.

Despite my ringing praises, I have a minor complaints about the ending. I understand the balloon idea was just a distraction, yet it seemed so out of place, almost juvenile, when the fate of Republic City was at stake. Also, we never got to hear more from Bolin and Opal at the party. I felt an update about their relationship could have been slipped in.

It's hard to move on from the Avatar world. It was a major part of my childhood and young adulthood. The very best shows are those whose characters and lessons you carry with you in your heart, and I know Korra and friends have forever earned a spot in mine.

Sheik

:the:
that ending was so ****ing korrasami like wow

It was a good finale overall. I'll post my thoughts on the series as a whole once I collect my thoughts.

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
WORDS CANNOT DESCRIBE THE AMOUNT OF PAIN I FEEL RIGHT NOW, BECAUSE THIS IS IT -- THIS IS THE END. WE'RE MORE THAN LIKELY NOT GOING TO BE GETTING ANOTHER AVATAR SERIES FOR EITHER A VERY LONG TIME, OR NOT AT ALL. THIS FINALE WAS SUPERB, AND EXCEEDED MY EXPECTATIONS COMPLETELY, AND HAD THE BEST ENDING ANYONE COULD HAVE POSSIBLY IMAGINED

AND YES IM KEEPING MY CAPS LOCK ON BECAUSE IM TOO DAMN EXCITED

I'M SO HAPPY ABOUT THE ENDING, AND HOW KORRA DIDN'T END UP WITH MAKO, RATHER SHE WENT TO THE SPIRIT WORLD WITH ASAMI. YES I SHIP KORRASAMI, BUT EVEN IF THEY WENT TOGETHER AS FRIENDS IT WAS A LOGICAL ENDING (SEEING HOW ASAMI WAS THE ONLY PERSON KORRA WROTE TO, AND THE ONLY PERSON SHE COULD REALLY CONFIDE IN)

ALSO LOVED THAT BOLIN WENT BACK TO SAVE HIS BROTHER. FABULOUS BENDING BROTHERS FOR LIFE!

KUVIRA WAS PHENOMENAL IN THIS EPISODE, AND BIG KUDOS TO ZELDA WILLIAMS FOR BEING AN EXCEPTIONAL VA

THE CREATION OF THE NEW SPIRIT PORTAL WAS SOMETHING I NEVER THOUGHT OF, AND JUST SEEING THE ANIMATION AND THE OVERALL CREATION OF IT TOOK MY BREATH AWAY

KUVIRA AND KORRA TALKING ABOUT HOW SIMILAR THEY ARE, AND JUST SEEING HOW MUCH KORRA HAS GROWN MADE ME GET A MAJOR CASE OF THE FEELS

WHEN HIROSHI EJECTED ASAMI OUT OF THAT HUMMINGBIRD SUIT I NEARLY PAUSED THE VIDEO TO BREAK OUT INTO TEARS, BUT MY MOM WALKED IN SO I HAD TO TURN MY TESTOSTERONE LEVEL TO OVER 9000 SO SHE WOULDN'T SUSPECT ANYTHING OR INTERROGATE ME

GLAD TO SEE PRINCE WU DEVELOP, HE WAS ACTUALLY USEFUL AND YAAAASS GAGA FOR THE BADGER MOLES!!
I HAVEN'T CRIED YET BUT I PROBABLY WILL SOON SO YEA

ALSO LOOK AT HOW FABULOUS KUVIRA IS

tumblr_ngtgwamnzH1rnumxdo2_500.gif

After rewatching the ending, I realized Kuvira's line, "You don't understand me at all" was the same response Korra gave Zaheer when he offered to help her. That was brilliant.

I also have to touch on the Spirit World briefly. For someone who had no spiritual connection at the start of the show, Korra became arguably the most spiritually charged Avatar ever. Instead of "using spirits in a human war", she used the knowledge she'd gained to end a human war in the Spirit World.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom