• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

It's Official, Skyward Sword Now a Post-E3 Title

I'm pretty sure Aonuma said something to the effect of "if we had used the Twilight Princess style, this game would be in your hands now" back at E3.

Dang, I really thought I would have it around May. Now I'm thinking August-December. And why would they need t localize OoT 3D? It's already been localized... 12 years ago. Has anyone forgotten that? So if OoT 3D is released after 3D. SS will have to be after June.

I'm pretty sure Aonuma said something to the effect of "if we had used the Twilight Princess style, this game would be in your hands now" back at E3.

Yes he did say that, but I don't consider that proof. It didn't mean they were using the TP style,
it just meant they could've used it and have the game done by now and they chose not to.
That's how I see it.

I'm also pretty sure he said they were using the TP style, but then someone presented the new art direction to Miyamoto and he said it should be implemented immediately.

Stallord

Twilit Fossil
I'm going to go against all the optimism and say SS will probably be released around the last four months of 2011. We can all hope, but we should also be reasonable and think of Nintendo's standpoint.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
Well, it looks like Gamestop's change wasn't unfounded.

As long as they don't make us wait until 2012... I guess that's fine. At least that means I have time to save up money for the game.

I'm always amazed at how far back they can push a release date. What exactly are they DOING to these games that takes so long, beta testing?

I don't really mind.. I was a little disappointed at first, but at least it will be well worth the wait, and we have a general idea of the release date! :)

DuckNoises

Gone (Wind) Fishin'
Djinn said:
This does not sound surprising at all to me. There have already been a few hints that SS would be a late 2011 release over the last few weeks. Between the announcement in December and the Gamestop speculation. It is very common for a developer to wait until E3 so that they can have an even greater emphasis and show off to the competition.
This is a pretty strong point; Nintendo's already going to be raking in profits from the 3DS in Spring, so I can see this being for a pure marketing strategy only. I'm almost certain that the game is actually completed (especially given Nintendo's track record with completing games on schedule, if not before schedule), and that they're delaying it for market purposes.

I'm kind of glad they're postponing it, because it's original release date would have had me playing that when I should be focusing on IB exams. :P

Hopefully Nintendo won't pull a Lucasarts and keep us in the dark about everything. I think we should know why, if they they say the game is in the final stages of development I highly doubt it would release much past E3 let alone the holidays which are ten months from now. I bet the real reason is that they don't want to go against any major releases, so because of this, I think they will release it in mid Q3.

I'm also pretty sure he said they were using the TP style, but then someone presented the new art direction to Miyamoto and he said it should be implemented immediately.

I thought they said they hadn't decided on a certain style, but it doesn't matter :P

Beeker

Wild Card
I think Yonatesf was right, they hadn't decided on a art style at some point(maybe a year ago?:/), but if they kept the art style as the realistic TP one, then the game would have been completed no and we'd have it.

I guess it's understandable now, if they want to release OoT first to help boost the 3DS and get it going. If what Iwata say is true that the game is in its final stages of development, we should get it in Q3. Unless they delay the game for the holidays for sales.

I'm always amazed at how far back they can push a release date. What exactly are they DOING to these games that takes so long, beta testing?

Probably. I imagine it's rough to do a Motion Plus game that's controlled in third-person. You have to make sure the movements are TRULY accurate (in first-person this is easier), while at the same time optimize control so that you don't run into too many weird glitches (like Link's sword being held awkwardly when you're just running around and not swinging it).

Also @ art style; they had to have been working with SOME kind of graphics when they were developing SS's controls. It's likely that before they came up with SS's style they were using TP renders.

Probably. I imagine it's rough to do a Motion Plus game that's controlled in third-person. You have to make sure the movements are TRULY accurate (in first-person this is easier), while at the same time optimize control so that you don't run into too many weird glitches (like Link's sword being held awkwardly when you're just running around and not swinging it).

Also @ art style; they had to have been working with SOME kind of graphics when they were developing SS's controls. It's likely that before they came up with SS's style they were using TP renders.

True, they can't afford this game's controls to be under expectations, this game is supposed to prove that motion-controls are better, or at least as good as, button controls.
They can't take risks, it has to be perfect. Also, I'd rather have a game with perfect controls, than one with glitchy fail-controls :P

@ artsyle
You're right they probably used TP models in early development, but I think just as placeholders. That's also the reason Link's SS model is exactly the same as TP's model,
(except for the lack of details and different shading) I'm guessing the final model will look more like the artwork.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom