• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

It's not really Ganondorf

The Dashing Darknut

DD, the dashing one
That sounds like the opposite of any sort of compelling character. Evil because evil has never made for an interesting villain.
5496-BAF7-890-A-4654-8596-B3-FB775605-F8.webp

Find out about this guy and then we’ll talk

That sounds like the opposite of any sort of compelling character. Evil because evil has never made for an interesting villain. If he isn't going to develop at all then what's the point of keeping him around?

Where's the point of him suddenly turning good just for the sake of changing something? It is actually the very contrast from good writing of an antagonist, it is very bad writing. Just like you can't make Joker good, there are clearly levels to Ganondorf's nature as well. Sure, you can flesh his character out much more by giving him more motives, thoughts, screentime and so on. But turning a total 180° on his villainous side is nothing interesting. It seems like huge fanfiction tbh.

As for the "Evil because evil isn't interesting" is a statement which takes out the complete context of Ganondorf's entire characteristic. The eternal circle of hatred and evil incarnation, the latest version being Calamity Ganon, a hateful force of nature, works so well because Ganondorf is the perfect representation of the source of evil. Making him good destroys this very important portrayal of the biggest and most important antagonist of the Zelda series. Heck, his malice KILLED almost everyone Link and Zelda dearly loved! Think about this one...

Pokémaniac13

Triforce Champion
Where's the point of him suddenly turning good just for the sake of changing something? It is actually the very contrast from good writing of an antagonist, it is very bad writing. Just like you can't make Joker good, there are clearly levels to Ganondorf's nature as well. Sure, you can flesh his character out much more by giving him more motives, thoughts, screentime and so on. But turning a total 180° on his villainous side is nothing interesting. It seems like huge fanfiction tbh.
Except it isn’t the same. Personally, the better argument against Ganondorf being evil is:
After all he went through for change, he wouldn’t stop. How could he? It is his life’s work. But at the same time, I don’t really see Ganondorf as a villain in the first place.

Except it isn’t the same. Personally, the better argument against Ganondorf being evil is:
After all he went through for change, he wouldn’t stop. How could he? It is his life’s work. But at the same time, I don’t really see Ganondorf as a villain in the first place.

I fail to realise how it isn't the same, though.
When did Ganondorf go for a change? Even in WW, he was still a malicious antagonist but with some motive this time. I don't say that it is bad in general to give him better characteristics but is has to be done well and not a sudden 180° change of villain to good.

Bold part: Why? Ganon/Ganondorf is factually the biggest and most important antagonist of the Zelda series, appeared as the main boss ever since Zelda 1...

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
When did Ganondorf go for a change? Even in WW, he was still a malicious antagonist but with some motive this time. I don't say that it is bad in general to give him better characteristics but is has to be done well and not a sudden 180° change of villain to good.

Bold part: Why? Ganon/Ganondorf is factually the biggest and most important antagonist of the Zelda series, appeared as the main boss ever since Zelda 1...
no one was asking for him to suddenly go from evil to good like a light switch, it was the idea of ganondorf not being evil anymore that seemed to bother you so much

Pokémaniac13

Triforce Champion

The monologue at the end of Wind Waker described how he wanted his people to live in a better environment. How would you feel if you lived in Gerudo desert? He just wanted those around him to be happy. But thanks to Demise’s curse, it become somewhat of a revolt. Revolts are frowned upon. Ganondorf gets labeled as evil, but really, I think, Denise was using Ganondorf as a vessel to get to the Triforce of Power. Then, he becomes strong enough to change Ganondorf’s physical appearanc, and Ganon is born.

Bold part: Enough said.

The monologue at the end of Wind Waker described how he wanted his people to live in a better environment. How would you feel if you lived in Gerudo desert? He just wanted those around him to be happy.

He also said he "coveted that wind." He's clearly envious of Hyrule and wants to rule it.

Last edited:

The Dashing Darknut

DD, the dashing one
The monologue at the end of Wind Waker described how he wanted his people to live in a better environment. How would you feel if you lived in Gerudo desert? He just wanted those around him to be happy. But thanks to Demise’s curse, it become somewhat of a revolt. Revolts are frowned upon. Ganondorf gets labeled as evil, but really, I think, Denise was using Ganondorf as a vessel to get to the Triforce of Power. Then, he becomes strong enough to change Ganondorf’s physical appearanc, and Ganon is born.

Bold part: Enough said.
He still would’ve taken over Hyrule even if his people didn’t suffer, it just gave him more hatred. I don’t see why he wouldn’t

Pokémaniac13

Triforce Champion
He still would’ve taken over Hyrule even if his people didn’t suffer, it just gave him more hatred. I don’t see why he wouldn’t
So you think taking over Hyrule is A GOOD IDEA, huh? By any chance would you be the BotW 2 villain, because we have all been DYING to meet you and your friends, and it sounds like you enjoy tyranny and the like.

End joke.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom