• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Adventure of Link Is Zelda II:the Adventure of Link Really That Bad?

Zelda 2, in my opinion, is not bad at all. It's merely difficult, both in depth and execution. The game is arguably long, and the challenge comes from having to master dodging, shielding, and making jumps at the blink of an eye. And given how well the controls work, that isn't difficult. If you needed those skills and the jumping was like Castlevania's, that would be reason enough to complain, as the stiff jumps walking would be hinderances to the cliffs you must jump, and the shots you must dodge. Also, the RPG elements give the game a sense of strategy, and any strategizing is good for the mind. Calculating how worthy it would be to fight an enemy that gives just enough EXP to level up, despite having low enough HP to have one hit from said enemy kill you makes you really think. That situation is what will happen to you constantly in Zelda 2.
So is it good or bad? It's good, just hard enough for mental stimulation. Also, to those of you who think that we people who like Zelda 2 are masochists that don't care about losing in it, believe it or not, we share your frustration, but we can overcome it, not that we're superior to you.

This question is purely subjective, so understand that there isn't a clear answer; I'm just putting this how I see it.

Halo siera 117

Eh.... senior member?
Bad? How could someone say such a thing? AoL is my second favorite Zelda.

I don't brag too much, but I really didn't find it all that hard except for a few key parts, and even then there were tricks which made them possibly the easiest parts of the game (BTW, I have the motor skills of a thirteen year old, so if I am able to do it, it shouldn't be that hard). For example, I could never pass the path of fire(or something along those lines), in fact I probably used 50 Links trying to pass it using only brute-force, then I decided to try and see if any of my spells could help my pass it, when I discovered the "spell" spell did so much, I immediately killed myself, so I could get another life (or two), and I passed the area on the first try.

I think what makes Aol such a great game for me is the memories. Another little trick I used (courtesy of Mases, from his videos) was using the reflect spell against ThunderBird. That greatly helped me finish the game.

M

matersword

i know that it is hard. the reason i made this thread was because i beat it:)

it is not the worst zelda it is one of the best because it is unique:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I do find it rather hard.
From what i have played of it.

But i have started to play it a lot just recently.
Cannot see myself winning it but ill give it a go.

Definitely the hardest of the zelda games.

By no means is it a bad game. I think it is a wonderful game, although I too have trouble with some parts. It was a change in style for a Zelda game, and, like Majora's Mask, gives insight into what different directions the Zelda series could take.

Would I want another one like it? Sure, more Zelda, more fun.

Epona

Ordon Village
I love Zelda II! Once the sword skills are learned and mastered, it's just so fun to fight enemies. The returning to the beginning every time you die part is really frustrating, but other than that I love the game. I could sit and fight enemies for hours just to earn experience points. Great practice for sword skills too. I love side scrollers anyway so the fact that this Zelda game is side scroller makes it a plus for me.

yeah i tried this game for a little bit and it just doesn't feel like zelda...i think nintendo was just trying a different angle but realized they had struck gold with the original LOZ since the next game (ALttP) went back to the original formula. Who knows, maybe if done with better graphics and a lower difficulty setting this would be a great game...

N

NMG

The combat system as a side-scroller didn't work. All it did was get people mad. Myself I wanted to drop a moon on it! twice!

SuperGanondorf

Ballos's Minion
That depends on what you're comparing it to calling it bad. As a Zelda game, it's not particularly good. As an action-RPG, it's alright, but there are plenty of better choices. As just a game, it's good. The problem here is that this title doesn't really do that much that other titles haven't done at least as well if not better. While the franchise is known for its amazing creativity and being head-and-shoulders above the competition, AoL just doesn't stand out from the competition at all. It's not bad, it's just not particularly good.

Linknerd09

Luigi Fan
well at first when i saw it, i thought it was bad. but when i played it, it was kinda fun. but i got stuck n i kept killing enemies to get more power and hearts. it was a fun game.

M

matersword

isnt it funny that links only line in the entire series is
" I found a mirror under the table"

David

But you called me here...
The combat system as a side-scroller didn't work. All it did was get people mad. Myself I wanted to drop a moon on it! twice!

I thought that the side-scroller combat system was well done. I really love the game. If you're going to say that it didn't work, try saying it as a "it didn't work for me as well as I wanted it to." That would be more acceptable. I also don't think that that was the only reason people got mad. Maybe it was the fact that they kept dying due to the fact that the enemies were hard, that if you fell, you instantly died, and they weren't leveled up enough to have defense against some enemies. Many people love the game and thought that the side-scrolling was a wonderful addition to the series, if only for one game. Also, many people loved the combat system as well. You actually got more powerful after you kill enemies, unlike other Zelda games where you can only get upgrades by getting new swords, items, or tunics. AoL is one of the best Zelda games, in terms of hardness, adventure, and Zelda-ness, in my opinion.

Linknerd09

Luigi Fan
It's not really a bad game, I like playing it. But the 3 lives r pretty annoying. And u have to started at the place where zelda is resting. It's not my fav, but it's pretty good to play.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom