• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Is the hype dead?

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I feel like the hype for Zelda Wii U is dead. I mean back when we got that game awards video back in early December I was sort of hyped up for it - now I just don't even really care about it anymore. The game may as well have never exhisted because it isn't something I ponder on much anymore.

Do you all also feel like the hype has died off?

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
The hype overall has very much died off due to the news of lack of information. However, I almost guarantee you, that when we get some more information again, the hype will come back at full force. The problem is that many in several communities have already discussed everything that can be discussed. If we get a trailer, or screenshot, or a (substantial) interview people will be back speculating away. EAD3 has much to show us, and in that prospect, getting new information will be extremely exciting.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Yeah it is dead. It is hard to be excited for something which is almost certainly out of date now. The game could be completely different to what we have been shown, which was never much to begin with.

Azure Sage

Join your hands...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Since this thread is asking almost exactly the same thing as another recent thread I'll just post my reply from that one in here.

I agree that it halts hype. Zelda U's delay halted mine, but I think it's more the lack of information and how little Nintendo is actually talking about the new game that's really doing that for me, not so much the delay itself. Of course I don't want Nintendo to reveal everything about the new game, but I'd appreciate being thrown a bone every once in a while. But we hardly have anything to go on, and that's killing the hype more than the delay is, in my opinion.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Nintendo completely killed the hype by showing off a trailer and actual demo gameplay, then proceeding to delay the release and say "nah we're not showing it at E3".

Literally makes no sense and only further proves Nintendo's out of touch mindset. I mean, I get the delay, that's fine and many companies often do the same; however not showing it at the biggest time of the year? Ridiculous. How can you show a game, at an earlier stage, last E3 then completely skip the next one? Fans don't care about perfection, we want information or some sign of advancement in the development process. They've either done **** all since that trailer, or the trailer was made to make the game look further along than it actually was.

Part of me hopes that comment was a throw off, or even a mistake, and they do show it at E3, but nevertheless the statement was stupid and killed the hype. I mean only Nintendo could kill hype for the first HD installment of their most beloved and highly rated franchise among their most patient fanbase.

Yeah it is dead. It is hard to be excited for something which is almost certainly out of date now. The game could be completely different to what we have been shown, which was never much to begin with.
I'm wondering, along that vein, how much do you think the final version will differ from what they've shown? I would think on the one hand that after what happened to Wind Waker they would shy away from drastically altering the aesthetic after it has been met with a vastly positive reaction, because turning away from the infamous Space World demo for the cartoony look of that game actually did substantial harm to the game's sales figures. You would think that they would not be eager to repeat that decision. On the other hand, Nintendo seems to have let the loopy show a little bit lately, making a lot of what people might call… "questionable"… decisions. The intentional Amiibo shortages, that fiasco with the Smash Bros adapters, even things like the flat out refusal to recognize same-sex relationships in Tomodachi Life… they all seem to paint a picture of a company that flat out doesn't care how their customers feel towards them.

The other thought that worries me is is their branding of "the ultimate Zelda experience". I mean, that's a lot to live up to. But we all know words are just words. And if they'd just called the game that and left it alone, that would be one thing. But they called it that while adding what could be a year, possibly a year and a half to the development period. That is a lot of time to let people wonder, a lot of opportunities for fans to develop their own idea of what that means… and the longer they let that go on, the more likely it seems they will be to let people down. Even if it is one of the greatest games they ever made, will that even matter? Will so many people have been expecting so much more, or something so different, that one of the greatest games just ends up being 'Kinda Meh" by comparison?

D

Deleted member 81859

I'm wondering, along that vein, how much do you think the final version will differ from what they've shown? I would think on the one hand that after what happened to Wind Waker they would shy away from drastically altering the aesthetic after it has been met with a vastly positive reaction, because turning away from the infamous Space World demo for the cartoony look of that game actually did substantial harm to the game's sales figures. You would think that they would not be eager to repeat that decision. On the other hand, Nintendo seems to have let the loopy show a little bit lately, making a lot of what people might call… "questionable"… decisions. The intentional Amiibo shortages, that fiasco with the Smash Bros adapters, even things like the flat out refusal to recognize same-sex relationships in Tomodachi Life… they all seem to paint a picture of a company that flat out doesn't care how their customers feel towards them.

The other thought that worries me is is their branding of "the ultimate Zelda experience". I mean, that's a lot to live up to. But we all know words are just words. And if they'd just called the game that and left it alone, that would be one thing. But they called it that while adding what could be a year, possibly a year and a half to the development period. That is a lot of time to let people wonder, a lot of opportunities for fans to develop their own idea of what that means… and the longer they let that go on, the more likely it seems they will be to let people down. Even if it is one of the greatest games they ever made, will that even matter? Will so many people have been expecting so much more, or something so different, that one of the greatest games just ends up being 'Kinda Meh" by comparison?
I feel like we should just start thinking of them as two separate games. What we were first shown no longer exists. They are pursuing new ideas entirely.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~

Thing is I dont know and I dont dare to take a guess by how much the new product will differ. It wouldn't surprise me if they changed the art style. Maybe turn everything into yarn or something stupid that Aounuma thinks is a good idea.

They are taking so long with Zelda U that undoubtedly the original idea for the game has changed beyond recognition and that is not necessarily a good thing. Majoras Mask took a year to make and it was really good. SS on the other hand took 5 years and was good but it was just plain good rather than very good. Not worth waiting 5 years for I think.

Zelda U will be another 5 year game and its going to have to be more than just another open world fantasy game if it is to impress. Calling it the 'ultimate Zelda experience' was a stupid move. What does that mean? Well it means expectations will be set too high for a start. WW divided the fanbase back in 02. Now one third wants the series more in that direction the other third wants it more like TP and OOT and the final third just got sick of Zelda and messing them around and went and became a pure Microsoft or Sony gamer. The series can't please both remaining sides because that means concessions and there will always be something for one side to complain about.

Maybe turn everything into yarn or something stupid that Aounuma thinks is a good idea.
I really really wish I could justifiably call you silly for saying something like that.

Also it's worth pointing out that literally half of SS's Dev time was getting the damn wii motion+ to work. The good thing is that there's no feature like that in Zelda U (that I can tell), because it's pretty evident that Skyward Sword was build around that one function. Here, their guiding star seems to be exploration, and that is a good bearing to follow. It's the sole thing that gives me some measure of faith. If Aounuma had said something like "we've come up with a brand new vision for what Zelda can be," or "We have created a new feature that we think will make Zelda better," I'd be deeply worried. I'd be wondering what sort of cockamamie Amiibo-based ****-scam they were cooking up.

And finally, I'd like to go on record as saying I really, really hope they don't change the art style.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
. If Aounuma had said something like "we've come up with a brand new vision for what Zelda can be," or "We have created a new feature that we think will make Zelda better," I'd be deeply worried. I'd be wondering what sort of cockamamie Amiibo-based ****-scam they were cooking up.

Dont put it past them, they probably are cooking up an amiibo scam as well to go with this game.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
They've either done **** all since that trailer, or the trailer was made to make the game look further along than it actually was.

I have wondered if maybe this is the case.

Actually I think the fact we are reduced to debating whether or not the hype is dead proves it most certainly is dead. Within a month we'll have touched on just about every topic possible. This section of the forum will surely go inactive.

A Link In Time

To Overcome Harder Challenges
ZD Legend
I think some people in this thread are overreacting. Yes, Nintendo announced Zelda Wii U too early and failed to provide follow up trailers to keep the initial excitement going, but what really matters is the hype just before release. There was no major news about Splatoon until a few weeks before release, and it's been selling amazingly well in Japan and North America since release.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
The original hype is definitely dead, but if you're taking that to mean that people no longer care about the game, that simply isn't the case. The game may have fallen out of our immediate radar, but as soon as information starts leaking in again, the hype will be back to full-blast. That's a guarantee.

It seems that Nintendo has handled Zelda U poorly, but we really don't know anything about the game, why it was delayed, when it will be shown again, and what exactly they delayed it for. We really may never actually know why the game was truly delayed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom