• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Is the Happy Mask Salesman in MM the Same...

one as in OoT?
I always pretty much assumed he was, when hearing how he traveled around looking for masks, I thought it was safe to assume he was the one from OoT and kept travelling and ended up in Termina.

And I guess he wouldn't recognize Link, because as MM follows the time line in which all that Link does is go to Zelda and tell em' to lock up Ganondorf, I guess he never gets to do the mask side quests and so the Happy Mask Salesman never meets him... though Link would have to know him. But he's a quiet fella c:

Anyway, do you think it's the same guy?
Or he happens to be a resident of Termina looking for masks only in Termina, as we see how he gets his mask stolen outside Clocktown.

What also made me wonder that is that he said he followed Link from pretty much the start of the game, right? So did he fall through the hole Link fell through? Or did he just see what Skull Kid did to Link a bit closer to where the Clock Town undergound place is and follow him from there on?

That's a very interesting point, something that I think makes the Happy Mask Salesman a VERY deep character. Personally, I believe he is the same character we see in OoT running the mask shop in Hyrule Town Market. I think this mysterious man already knew about the two parallel worlds of Termina and Hyrule and can somehow travel freely between the two; therefor I believe it's uncertain whether he is actually Hyrulian or Terminian. He could have came from either worlds, but my point is he somehow found the link between the two and is the only one that knows about them until Link and Skull Kid come along. I'm led to believe he originated in Termina, which is where he acquired his interests in masks that caused him to find the parallel world to begin with, but this is also uncertain and slightly irrelevant. Either way, this is really one creepy and mysterious guy.

PureLocke

A Hero of Time
Actually the Skull Kid is from Termina, the legend of the Giants details how he gets kicked out of Termina and into Hyrule, where he then gets taught Saria's song and is sold the Skull Mask by Link. The HMS says that he owns the Happy Mask Shop and since there isn't one in Termina he is presumably referring to the Hyrulian one. Also the scene where his mask is stolen is in the woods(assumed to be the Lost Woods) that Link is traveling through before he pops down the rabbit hole to Termina proper.

Before I used to think that everyone was the same, but now I think the only one who is the same as in Hyrule is the mask salesman, because he says he runs a shop, and in OoT he says he likes to collect rare masks like the ones from Termina, where masks seem to be very important

It is the same guy. He talks about owning the mask shop, which the only other mask shop in existance during this time that we know of is in Hyrule. He also says that he had been following you since you were in the Lost Woods so, he pretty much confirms right out that he's the same guy from Hyrule.

He also says that he had been following you since you were in the Lost Woods so, he pretty much confirms right out that he's the same guy from Hyrule.

lol he also confirms he is a stalker xD

TheGreen

is climbin' in yo windows
-searching through ZD's resources...-
Ok. Here's points of interest in the first conversation between Link and the Happy Mask salesman in MM.
I own the Happy Mask Shop.
I travel far and wide in search of masks...
Clearly he owns/owned Castle Town's Happy mask shop. There is no debating that he's Hylian.

No don't think me rude, but I have been following you...
This further proves that he's followed Link from Hyrule into Termina.

All I ask is that you also get back the precious mask that that the Imp stole from me.
What? Is it not a simple task?
Why, to someone like you, it should by no means be a difficult task.
IT'S LIKE HE KNOWS THAT LINK SAVED HYRULE!

To confirm this further he says,
But yes... You'll be fine.
I can see you are young and have tremendous courage.

bds1110

Imp
Well, if you pay attention to the theory that Termina and Hyrule are two different dimensions, I would say no. But, if you notice, at the end of MM he just fades away, perhaps back to Hyrule? He may have the power to skip between dimensions is what I think.

EDIT: But, TheGreen, now that I have read wht you said, that is most likely probable. But I still wonder why he just faded out like that... maybe he really did walk for a long way in the opposite direction but the wanted to make him fade because it would be too long to watch...

bds1110

Imp
Heh, heh. Now you're making me think of a surprise in OoT 3DS..
Wouldn't it be funny if every once in a while your could turn around and see him have this surprised look on his face and then run away? That would be HILARIOUS..

Result of reading through this board: the Happy Mask Salesman is a stalker. o:

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
Clearly he owns/owned Castle Town's Happy mask shop. There is no debating that he's Hylian.
Yes there is. There is no evidence tying him to Hyrule. The fact that he owns a shop there doesn't prove anything. I think there's more evidence tying him to Termina, though not necessarily being Terminian...

Yes there is. There is no evidence tying him to Hyrule. The fact that he owns a shop there doesn't prove anything. I think there's more evidence tying him to Termina, though not necessarily being Terminian...

That's true, in fact I think he's a moon person, because of the fascination for masks and the physical look

Well, if you pay attention to the theory that Termina and Hyrule are two different dimensions, I would say no. But, if you notice, at the end of MM he just fades away, perhaps back to Hyrule? He may have the power to skip between dimensions is what I think.

That wouldn't necessarily matter. You are acting like since they are different "dimensions" that being can't travel between them, and we know that isn't true. Regardless of if Termina is another world or dimension or whatever you want to consider it (I personally consider it an altered, parallel existance from that of Hyrule, which it is pretty much), there is still a way to and from Termina and Hyrule, as Link makes the trip.

The fact that he is a "travelling" mask salesman and that his only shop is in Hyrule actually says a lot. For him to own a shop in Hyrule and no where else would mean that his home is probably in Hyrule. And if he is a "travelling" mask salesman and Hyrule wasn't his home, then he wouldn't have a shop there to begin with.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
That's true, in fact I think he's a moon person, because of the fascination for masks and the physical look
Oh! I thought I was the only person to think that!

Don't travelling salesmen generally (well, maybe more like half the time) sell things away from home? Do the Gorons in WW live on their rafts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom