• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Is Skyward Sword a Good Game or a Bad Game?

Is Skyward Sword a Good Game or a Bad Game

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• It is not the best but neither the worst game in the series

• Total voters
T

TheKeaton

Question. Were you playing SS on an HD or SDTV? Because HDTV's roughen SS's edges up like it's nobody's business.

Yeah, I did play it on HDTV. I guess that would explain the rough edges.

Ninten*

BLOOOOOOOO
Well I'd have to agree that although the graphics on SS were good, there are Wii games with better graphics. Resident Evil 4 had better graphics. If only the game looked like that. There should've also been some secret techniques and everything. Out of all the Zelda games that I have ever played, Twilight Princess was better than Skyward Sword. Nintendo should've looked at that for an example.

Ups: Overall it is a good game, music (at times)
Downs: Fi, the harp, music (at times), forgettable characters, and the lack of an overworld.

I'm not that far, but so far I love the game. I just wish it was more organized like on the map put a list of your 'activities' cause I keep forgetting, haha

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Skyward Sword is an absolutely amazing game! It is rank 6 on my Favorite Zeldas list!

I think Skyward Sword is an amazing game! I love the story, dungeons, graphics, and music. It is my favorite Zelda game.

EternalNocturne

Fluffy hair!
The poll confuses me. It asks if SS is a good game or a bad game, and the answers are "yes" and "no," along with an option that's unrelated to the other answers. Saying that SS is a good game doesn't mean that it's the best of the series, and vice versa. I thought SS was a good game, but I also agree that it is neither the best or the worst of the series. What am I supposed to vote for? o_O

I'm not gonna type up an essay about why SS is great, so I'll just leave it at this: I loved it.

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
Skyward Sword is a fine game. Incorporating puzzle solving into a good amount of the game, stimulating the mind and such. The game also contains a nice amount of action, keeping the boring factor down for those who dislike the puzzle solving elements. Its presentation is beautiful, with a wonderfully designed world and rupee music. The story is very is nicely cinematic, albeit a bit childish for people who prefer more mature situations. The characters were full of life, with both loveable and hateable (not a word) characteristics and nice development is easily noticeable in a good amount of characters. The difficulty of the game was at a nice level. I didn't breeze through everything, yet at the same time I was never stuck for too long.

Its not the best game ever, but SS is still in a sense a good game.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Skyward Sword is a fine game. Incorporating puzzle solving into a good amount of the game, stimulating the mind and such. The game also contains a nice amount of action, keeping the boring factor down for those who dislike the puzzle solving elements. Its presentation is beautiful, with a wonderfully designed world and rupee music. The story is very is nicely cinematic, albeit a bit childish for people who prefer more mature situations. The characters were full of life, with both loveable and hateable (not a word) characteristics and nice development is easily noticeable in a good amount of characters. The difficulty of the game was at a nice level. I didn't breeze through everything, yet at the same time I was never stuck for too long.

Its not the best game ever, but SS is still in a sense a good game.

"In a sense"? The way you described it makes it sound much better than good "in a sense". Jussayin.

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
"In a sense"? The way you described it makes it sound much better than good "in a sense". Jussayin.

You caught me. Its a good game. I just twitch whenever I'm forced to say good things about SS because I Personally didn't like it. I also don't think it was a good Zelda game so my fingers typed out that "in a sense" as a show of my disapproval. (My fingers shall be punished!) But it is a good game.

zellinkda

one of many
Well, this is hard for me to say. it's a good game because it's charming and fun, and casual gamers can get into zelda because it's not too difficult. it's a bad game IMO because I didn't get a zelda ish feel that I get when I play most zelda games. That missed me in the beginning. eventually, the game did get a bit more zelda ish to me, but most zelda games I like all the way through. this one is an alright game.

Skunk

Floof
I liked Skyward Sword as an entry to the series. Was it bad, no. Was it the best in the series? Well that depends on what you think. Personally I thought it was decent.

In my opinion, Skyward sword was the worst 3D Legend of Zelda Game in the franchise. It's high points were some of the highest in the series, but those high points were few and far between.

One of the main problems I had with the game was how "idiot-proof" it felt. Nearly everything, no matter how obvious, was explained in detail, and explained multiple times. The text dragged on forever and caused common things like purchasing a set of potions to become horrible tedious. Fi was by far the worst companion in the series. I never found Navi to be that annoying, her tips were fairly concise. My experience with Fi, however, was akin to that of having someone who has previously played the game sitting next to you constantly telling you what you should be doing. Fi was especially disappointing when compared to the superb companion that was Midna in Twilight Princess.

Another problem I had with the game was the seeming lack of an overall atmosphere and it's inability to create any emotional response on my part. In previous Legend of Zelda games, specifically Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess, I was genuinely concerned about the characters and the world. I remember the feeling of dread as I waited for Kafei as the third day drew to a close, I remember feeling driven to rescue Ilia and the children of Ordon Village, and I remember the shock I felt when characters such as Mikau died, or when, after finally finding her, learned that Ilia had amnesia. These games created a very dark and mysterious atmosphere that drew me into their worlds. In comparison, I felt very detached from the world of Skyward Sword. At first, I was concerned when Zelda disappeared, but all the other characters took the situation so lightheartedly that my care about rescuing Zelda disappeared. Each of the game's locations seemed to have it's own side story or gimmick (Lost Kikwi's in Faron, buried treasure in Eldin, Timeshift stones and opening the mining facility in Lanayru), that at many occasions, I forgot exactly what my motive was. That is not to say, that all of Skyward sword's presentation was poor. The story segments taking place within the Sealed Grounds and Sealed Temple, as well as those at the end of each dungeon were some of the best in the series, however, these were also some of the only instances in which the main plot (rescuing Zelda and defeating Demise) were ever really brought up at all, causing the rest of the game to seem separated from the main story. However, I will admit that I had to play through Skyward sword again in hero mode to confirm my feelings for it as the ending of the game left me with a good taste in my mouth.

The game play is also worth noting, Skyward sword is praised for it's use of motion controls, as well as the inclusion of upgradable gear, and shield durability. These features are indeed worth of praise, but they also feel rather shallow. Upgrades were few and were also fairly cheap, by the time I had received the first portion of the Song of the Hero, I already had every possible upgrade, and over forty of most treasures. This, combined with those annoying messages you get every time you pick up a new treasure in each game play session made the system feel like a bit of a burden more so than a useful no feature. As for motion controls, I found them fine for piloting my Loftwing, or using my weapons and items, however, these were not the extent of their uses. The use of motion controls for swimming felt gimmicky and hard to control (and just made the already awful Tadtone collecting all the worse). The inclusion of things such as the tightrope walks simply added to my views on the feature as an unnecessary gimmick. I was also not that much a fan of the combat. At first, the system of swinging your sword in the direction that the enemy is not blocking was very fun, though sometimes annoying due to attacks being blocked if the sword was swung at the slightest angle. This feature of either swinging vertically of horizontally at an enemies opening, however, was basically all there was to combat for the entirety of the game, Bokoblins were the primary enemy for the entire game, and the only change ever made to their combat patterns was the change from swords to electric rods in the Lanayru province, which proved to be more frustrating than anything. In my opinion, the combat in Twilight princess was superior to that of Skyward Sword, even though Skyward sword allows you to swing your sword in many directions, Twilight princess allowed you to learn new moves such as the Helm Splitter, Back Slice, and Mortal Draw, which not only added more variety to combat, but also made it look very exciting.

My final gripe about Skyward Sword is it's overworld. The world of Skyward Sword felt more akin to a Super Mario Brothers Game than to a Legend of Zelda one. This was not due to the greater depth added to the areas, which I found to be a very interesting idea, but rather to the Linearity of the world. Skyward Sword managed to almost completely remove one of the aspects that define the Zelda series: Exploration. Every time I saw a wall that could be bombed in the world of Skyward Sword, I always got excited thinking of what may lie on the other side, as Twilight princess often featured Expansive caves or difficult puzzles on the other end of bombable walls. Skyward sword, on the other hand, would give you nothing more than a small rupee as a reward for your curiosity. To me, this was one of the game greatest failures, after completing the game, there is nothing left to do. I still play Twilight princess to this day because I find adventuring in Hyrule field and finding hidden caves, poes, or golden bugs to be a fun experience, but by the end of Skyward Sword, I had nothing left to find or do. Dowsing made finding secrets far too easy, and overall the game provided little to no post-game value.

Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed Skyward Sword, It is just that I found it to be one of the worst games in the Legend of Zelda series, and did not find it to be the masterpiece that its predecessors were.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom