• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Is It Okay to Have Less Friends?

Memory

Forgotten Life
Violet, a friend of mine, told me that if I don't have any friends people will think I'm forever-alone. I thought of adding Violet's friends but It'll be awkward. I want some advice(or something like that) from some users though..

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Champion
Administrator
It is ok to have less friends but making friends is great. People here are very welcoming, if you see someone around that you think seems cool then send them a Visitor Message just say something like "Hi, How are you". When you reach 100 posts you will be able to see the ShoutBox, it's a place where people from the forum can chat, it's a great place to make friends :) If you have any more questions feel free to send me a message, I'm happy to help.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
It's about TRUE friends and NOT about the AMOUNT. If someone tells you that you have less friends on any site or social network they mean you are "less popular". This is what annoys me madly. So let's say you have like 1000 friends on facebook....so what next? Do you know them all in person? Are they all one by one your closest friends? Of course not! The whole society is fixed on the popularity thing and that's everything but fine. What counts are your true friends. The ones you can count on when you really need them. And trust me...out of 1000 friends there might be only 2 or 3 or maybe 5 who REALLY care about you when it comes to it. So yes it's definitely okay to have less friends.

I completely agree with Vanessa.

There are people who will try to add as many Internet "friends" as possible in order to appear popular. But how many are their true friends? A true friend is someone you can discuss your secrets and problems with without worry that they'll stab you in the back or leak the information to someone else.

The most important thing to remember when making friends is to be yourself! Don't change your appearance or disposition to fit into a clique. There is always someone out there who appreciates you for who you are. That's a genuine friend.

During this holiday season, it's also important to remember a different type of friend: family. You're born among your family and spend more time with kin than anyone else. It's in the warmth of a gathering that you realize how much these people mean to you.

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
Indeed. This is a quality over quantity situation. That's not to say that having a lot of people in your life is strictly bad -it's not.

Sad story time.

My dad died February of my senior year of high school. While I still miss him dearly every day, even nearly 13 years on, it was an eye opening experience into finding out who were my friends and who were my "friends." People who showed up at the house to check in, or offered to help with the funeral in some way, or took me to movies the week after to keep me afloat - those are the people I still keep in contact with. Everyone else? Disappeared from my life like leaves in the autumn.

Life is too crazy to make it alone. You need a small group of people in your life that you can trust completely and absolutely to help you through.

theoathtoorder

“Zinga-dingding!”
Close friends and family are extremely important. Lots of friends and acquaintances are not. If you have one or two people you can confide in and trust, that is more than a lot of people in this world. I never understood when I was on Facebook why certain people would add me as a "friend", when they didn't give me the time of day in high school. They seem to want to portray themselves as popular. I say, who cares if you're happy :)

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
All you really need is one friend. Just one friend can make the difference. You can have as many friends as you want; just make sure one of them is a true friend. As long as you have people that will be with you when you need them to and always support you, then that's all you need. You could have ten of those friends, or you could have one of them. The amount doesn't matter. It really is all about the quality of those friendships, just like the others said.

Of course it's okay! Having a high number of friends means nothing. I myself only have three friends on the forums at the moment, but that doesn't bother me because they are all awesome people. All you have to do is be yourself and wait. And if you see people on the forums that you'd like to strike up a friendship with, all you have to do is talk to them a bit. All of the people here are very friendly, so you shouldn't have any problems.

Lord Carlisle

He Who Shall Not be Named
I'm a very shy person. I sometimes get uncomfortable when put into certain social situations. I think I have ausburgers(or assburgers, however you spell that) syndrome.

I have a couple friends, but only one I'd trust with my life. Heck, I can't even stand the guy I sit with at lunch sometimes! He buys into all that popularity and social hierarchy crap. I'd have left the table, but... I've got nowhere to go.

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
Let me apply the famous phrase a lot of us use.

Quality over Quantity.

This is more true than you make think it is, and it definitely applies to your situation. You truly only need one friend; one friend that will pick you up when you're down, will lend you a shoulder to cry on, and will open their arms to embrace you. Would you rather have that one, true and kind friend, or would you rather have 1000 "friends" who don't even know you exist. If you fell, or if you cried, they wouldn't even bother to help you up. To be brutally honest, they'd most likely kick you when you're already down. So is it okay to have less friends? Yes. Is it okay to have lots of friends? Yes. Just be sure you know who's truly your friend, and not just an "acquaintance". ;)

P.S. I would love to be your friend! Feel free to talk to me whenever you please! ^^

Memory

Forgotten Life
It is ok to have less friends but making friends is great. People here are very welcoming, if you see someone around that you think seems cool then send them a Visitor Message just say something like "Hi, How are you". When you reach 100 posts you will be able to see the ShoutBox, it's a place where people from the forum can chat, it's a great place to make friends :) If you have any more questions feel free to send me a message, I'm happy to help.

I think I sent you a friend request a few days ago, did you get em'?

ThePurpleKnight

ThePurpleKnightmare
It's not about how many, it's about who they are, if they're me, then you're doing pretty good, if they arn't than you probably need more.

Memory

Forgotten Life
All you really need is one friend. Just one friend can make the difference. You can have as many friends as you want; just make sure one of them is a true friend. As long as you have people that will be with you when you need them to and always support you, then that's all you need. You could have ten of those friends, or you could have one of them. The amount doesn't matter. It really is all about the quality of those friendships, just like the others said.

Thanks, Azure. It really made me feel better, hah. Do you mind if I add you?

Let me apply the famous phrase a lot of us use.

This is more true than you make think it is, and it definitely applies to your situation. You truly only need one friend; one friend that will pick you up when you're down, will lend you a shoulder to cry on, and will open their arms to embrace you. Would you rather have that one, true and kind friend, or would you rather have 1000 "friends" who don't even know you exist. If you fell, or if you cried, they wouldn't even bother to help you up. To be brutally honest, they'd most likely kick you when you're already down. So is it okay to have less friends? Yes. Is it okay to have lots of friends? Yes. Just be sure you know who's truly your friend, and not just an "acquaintance". ;)

P.S. I would love to be your friend! Feel free to talk to me whenever you please! ^^

You're nice, I can see that :) I'll add you if I get used to the forums. That'll make me feel less awkward. :)

Last edited:

Lord Vain

Dawn of a New Day
I myself only really have one good friend whom lives in the City over, we hang out any chance we get still and have been friends since 7th Grade, he's a good guy. Looking at the facts you may find yourself bored more often if you only have a few friends, but hey, some are better than none. Yes, even just a single friend can make all the difference, you're never alone so long as there's at least one person there...and that's a truth.

Hachi

Happy Valentines Day!
In life? I don't see the problem with having less friends, but I'm a total introvert.

The forums friending function? Haha, I would not take it too seriously at all. =P Most of the friend requests I receive are literally the first time I have ever seen said user on the forums. Once you get past the newbie stages it doesn't mean too much after that.

I mostly see it as a nice way of introducing yourself to other people on the forums. =D I very often check out the profiles of people who send me those friend requests, so it's a good way to get yourself out there to meet people. You can also get Skype, because a lot of ZDers chat on there. Most of my ZD friends I converse with through Skype.

Just remember that friendships are made by interacting with people, not by accepting a request! :yes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom