• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Is Ganondorf Superior in Combat to Link?

Djinn

and Tonic
Clearly Link is no slouch in swordfighting as he is the one meant to win over Ganondorf each time they meet in game. He is the Legendary Hero whenever he appears. But Ganondorf has shown to be very capable with a sword himself a few times in the past. So much that Link may sometimes require help when fighting him. Or an extra edge in his favor through a special magical weapon or item. As far as swordsmanship goes, this does make me wonder who is the greater fighter. Who is the physically superior combatant with swords and skill alone when there is no intervention by the gods in the form of a Triforce piece or mythical destiny.

When there are no Triforces involved, who really is the superior fighter?

In my opinion I would place Ganondorf as the superior combatant, while Link is much better at using various tricks and items to his advantage. Ganndorf rarely has any more than a sword or spear any time he goes into combat. Link is often known to use bow, hookshot, mirrorshield, magical sword, and any other number of items to his advantage. As well as various healing potions and bottled fairies. However as shown near the beginning of Ocarina of Time, Ganondorf has an understanding of magic on his side. He seems to be fully capable of firing blasts at his enemies, throwing them back. In most games Link is still a novice in the ways of the sword. Usually having learned how to use one very early in the game or on a lesson by lesson basis through the game. The rest comes to him through experience. Ganondorf probably had superior training over a longer period of time as the Gerudo have a specific training ground behind their fortress. And as a gossip stone said the Gerudo prize superior skill in archery and riding, their king would certainly be no exception.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
So, you're saying that Link is a cheater.:P
Just kidding.

I'd have to agree with you on this. After all, Ganondorf must be quite skilled if he can manage to take over the world. Because he usually does have control of Hyrule at some point. In OoT, he was the Evil King for seven years. And in TP, he'd taken over Hyrule Castle.

Hero of…. #s, I guess
I would have to say no. I think Link is a better fighter than Ganondorf. First of all, Link is able to beat him back enough to drop the flames without the Master Sword against Beast Ganon in OoT, no Light Arrows, no Master Sword, just the Biggoron Sword or Megaton Hammer, against Beast Ganon who has two swords. Then, in Twilight Princess, a one on one fight occurs, sword to sword, and Link is victorious again. Link is superior in fighting skill to Ganondorf, clearly.

Djinn

and Tonic

Well to an extent, he is. Link normally has a wide collection of items and devices that exploit the weaknesses of many large boss monsters.

Nobody seriously takes a boomerang into combat and expects to use it as a weapon. But it does make a very handy distraction or stuns the enemies into confusion just long enough for a swing of the sword. Ganondorf is also the ultimate cheater by way of owning the ultimate expression of power in the universe. By nature he will be more powerful than those he goes against, just by owning the triforce of power. So I would say both characters are known to use things that can guarantee themselves a victory.

But that was not really the point behind the thread, I was mainly concerned with who might be the superior fighter when it just comes down to sword vs sword.

Hero_in_Green

Hero of Time
I think of it this way...Ganondorf/Ganon is already a superior being in the beginning of each game he is. He BELIEVES that no hero can best him so he feels no need to improve his skills. I understand that he is very, very powerful in combat and dark magic. However, Link always rises to meet the challenge as he becomes more powerful as the game progresses, although he in now way matches Ganondorf. You are totally right that Link has aids to help him such as the Light arrows or the Silver arrows that can ultimately cripple Ganon. However, without Link's clear instinct and concentration a lesser combatant would be no match for Ganondorf even if he/she had the necessary equipment to do so. I'm on the fence on this one really...Ganondorf may be stronger physically and forcefully, but Link is stronger mentally and often pursues any challenge. So they kind of level out on each other with no clear victor (although we always know Link wins :P).

Think of it on "The Deadliest Warrior" kind of testing. Input all the traits of Ganondorf and Link and run them through hundreds of proxy battles. I think it would be almost evened out with either Ganondorf/Link having a slightly higher win percentage over the other. Both have weaknesses that can be exploited. Link for one can be naive and sometimes clueless in times of danger but his courage (not the triforce part, his actual courage) pulls him through and causes him to think clearly. Ganondorf can often be blinded by his power to think clearly thus letting his defenses down, but when he does hit his target he causes major damage. So it boils down to that. Personally I favor Link because he's our hero, but at the same time Ganondorf is FAR from being weak.

I hope this helps :P:)

DLC

Soul Drummer.
No, you do have a definite point, however, in TP in the final battle, he bests him at swordsmanship. unless you used the fishing rod. ( CHEATING!) ( even though i used it once) :p

zeldahuman

Graphic Designer
I have to say Ganon/Ganondorf is the superior of the two. he's a male Gerudo, and need i mind you that a Gerudo male is only born once every hundred years, which means he's always been destined for greatness. Link may have the Blade of Evil's Bane as well as countless items and accessories and aids, but none of that compares to Ganon's power and brute force. i mean, he took over the world twice, has captured Zelda countless times, and has thousands upon thousands of minions that serve at his feet. They both have advantages to help aid them, but if the games were set up fairly, It would be extremely hard to match up to Ganon.

What i'm trying to say is, both Link and Ganon have advantages and disadvantages, but when it comes down to it, Ganon overcomes Link wisdom and courage. and that's why he's the superior of the two.

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
From what I can see, Ganondorf is clearly superior in terms of brute strength, and likely hand to hand combat as Link cannot fight without a weapon (save for maybe in TP with the wrestling thing but if you were to put Link in a wrestling match against Ganondorf...well...just look at the muscles on Ganondorf...). Ganondorf is obviously more comfortable with weapon-less combat than Link is though, as he has powerful magic blasts and isn't above giving out a heavy punch or kick when it suits him. He has physical strength going for him.

However, having said that, I think Link is the superior in terms of battle strategy. The very fact that Link is usually a novice at the beginning of the game, yet is able to master any weapon he obtains as well as learn advanced fighting techniques such as WW's parry or the TP Hidden Skills proves that Link has a natural talent for the art of fighting. Ganondorf typically fights with brute power or offensive magic, but Link knows how to move around the field, using his weapons to their highest potential, and really knows how to out-maneuver his opponents. Again, just look at his agility, his flips, his parry or back slice. The most Ganondorf ever does is jump out of the way and charge. Link has strength in his agility.

In terms of sword skill, I think it's a slightly tougher call. Ganondorf is obviously highly skilled with the sword, and he has likely undergone training with such weaponry due to his status as King of his people. As for Link, we don't know how much of Link's skill is due to his own ability to learn as opposed to bestowed by the Triforce/fate/whatever higher power wills him to win. Now, given that in several games Link does not hold the Triforce yet is still highly skilled with the sword, it is clear he does have a very high natural ability with swordsmanship. However, you cannot compare his natural skill in those games to Ganondorf's skills because in all the games Link fights Ganondorf sword-to-sword, he has the Triforce (I think, correct me if I'm wrong on that). I think, if it came down to direct swordplay with no other factors, Ganondorf would probably be the superior if only because his training is likely more complete than Link's.

i will have to disagree and say link is superior due to his agility something that ganon would overlook since his tactics is using his power. I ask how can ganon hit link if link keeps moving around and waits to tire ganon due to again his way of fighting. Remember power doesn't always beat speed and vice verse. It all depends now on who has the better technique and stamina in sword fight.

Cuju

私はカウントダウンを実行します。
If Link had no Master Sword, I think that he would have little chance against Ganondorf in a fight. In Oot artwork, he looks completely riped! Link is brave and all, but he would get destroyed. When Link has his Master Sword, he can easily win, because Ganon is heavy (300 pounds) and is likely slow, so Link would have the advantage by dashing around... If Hyrule was the ghetto, and Link and Ganon got into a street fight, Link would loose badly...

EDIT: I'm just kidding when I'm talking about the ghetto. You shouldn't joke about stuff like that...

Ganondorf might have years and years of training behind him as a Gerudo, but as we see many times Link is able to master his skills in a FAR shorter period of time. Link is better, he is a faster learner, he is able to us the environment around him to his advantage.He has a lot of items but in warfare all is fair and he uses them wisely. No one is forcing Ganon to not take some items with him. Besides, in OoT Link can beat him with an empty bottle :P

Din Akera

Sniper
When there are no Triforces involved, who really is the superior fighter?

I find this concept and question very interesting, but in your descriptions you seem to have left this part out. I would agree whole-heartedly that Ganondorf is a stronger fighter in brute strength but I believe that is largely due to the triforce of Power. Now I have not played all the games with Ganondorf in them, so can anyone tell me any other times other than TP where you actually go hand to hand with Ganondorf in swordplay? I realize there is many other battle tactics that occurred with Ganondorf, mainly dead man's volley. But I think to truly decide this we need to look at cases in which the sword was used by both.

My second point on this is that in TP when hand to hand swordplay did occur Ganondorf had the triforce of Power. I don't think we can really say for sure what enhancements the triforce of power gives him, especially when you focus in on something as small as sword skill. Just from looking at him I would agree that he has more strength than our friendly hero in green, but I don't know how much the triforce adds to that. Does it increase his strength, speed, stamina? All those minute things would be involved in superiority of sword skill.

Well to an extent, he is. Link normally has a wide collection of items and devices that exploit the weaknesses of many large boss monsters.

I disagree with Djinn on this. I wouldn't call his cheep or cheating at all. This is using all of your assets to advance and complete your mission. Maybe a sword isn't always the best tactic. SOme enemies you have to fight long range simply due to their set up. I'd really like to see you fight King Dodongo or Barrinade with only your sword. :P This is Link being smart and in a way proving that brute strength isn't always the vest way to go. Half of battle is knowing what to use in any given situation. Or should I say one third, lol, wisdom.

From what I can see, Ganondorf is clearly superior in terms of brute strength, and likely hand to hand combat as Link cannot fight without a weapon.
However, having said that, I think Link is the superior in terms of battle strategy.
In terms of sword skill, I think it's a slightly tougher call. Ganondorf is obviously highly skilled with the sword, and he has likely undergone training with such weaponry due to his status as King of his people. As for Link, we don't know how much of Link's skill is due to his own ability to learn as opposed to bestowed by the Triforce/fate/whatever higher power wills him to win.

I recognize and agree with all of this. However, I would still say that we do not truly know. We have not seen this battle with no triforce and only swordplay. But ultimately I agree with JJ. Link wins every time doesn't he?

Of course not. If this were so, he would beat Link. Now, yes, Ganondorf is very skilled in hand-to-hand combat, but Link is better.

Rytex

Resident Netizen
I do believe Link is the more superior combatant in most forms of him. In Wind Waker, it was obvious he couldn't win without Tetra's help with the Light Arrows, since, even with the Master Sword at full power, he couldn't do damage. He also got backhanded across the Forsaken Fortress by Ganondorf when he tried to slash Ganondorf using, practically, a normal sword.

Fierce

Deity Link
Is Link superior? Yes, in every way shape and form.

Ganondorf has the Triforce of power, which grants immortality and his monstrous form, the pig-beast of pure malice: Ganon. He cowardly uses an army of boss monsters and hordes upon hordes of minions to sit back and do his bidding. Does this make him strong? No, it doesn't and I think this is what the Triforce of courage is all about... along with the very essence of Link's strength. Power does not equate to superior combative prowess, and as such that is why Ganon fails each battle.

Twilight Princess and Wind Waker both feature one on one fights with Ganondorf. Skillwise, Link outmatches him everytime. It is only due to Ganon's dark magic that Link must counter with the light arrows. Otherwise, Ganon would be immortal... so if anyone is cheating it is indeed Ganondorf.

Also, note the age difference between the two... Ganondorf is a full grown man and a king of his people, while Link is but a simple boy/young adult. In many of the games subsequent, Ganondorf is centuries older. In spite of all this, Link still triumphs and foils Ganon's evil schemes time and time again.

And no we can't accredit it all to the Master Sword either. A sword is only as powerful as the warrior that grips its hilt after all...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom