• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Introducing the Legend

Hypothetically, you have a friend who doesn't know anything about Zelda but wants to start their journey as a new fan of the series...

What are the first three things you tell them about the series?
And why?

Which three games do you make them play first?
And why?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Twilight Princess - those are the first three things I tell them, because they're the pinnacle of the series imo.

Same games I recommend they play first.

Big Octo

=^)
The first three things I would tell them? I would say it is a series of quality, the gameplay is fun, and it's even fun to think about it. I'm sure this will at least get the person to try the game. Call them buzzwords, but there's truth to them, and they will work.

As for games, I'd tell them to play Ocarina of Time, A Link to the Past, and The Wind Waker. Although Ocarina of time may not be my favorite game, I still think it's the definitive Zelda experience, and the correct choice for a first 3D game. A Link to the Past is a great 2D game, and I think it will do well to bring someone into the 2D side of the series. Finally, I will recommend that they play The Wind Waker so they can not judge purely by the art design and instead play it for what it is. Also, it's my favorite game, and I'd like to share my experience with them.

willsfairysword

links assistant in combat
If none of my friends knew what zelda was I would tell them: MM is depressing, links wearing a tunic not a skirt and that IT EEFING AWESOME.
The first games I'd make them play:MM, TWW and SS :D .

r2d93

Hero of the Stars
I've been in this situation before actually. I would tell them that the Zelda series has challenging puzzles, intense combat and epic storytelling. Because those are some of the best qualities in Zelda games.

The 3 games I'd have them play would be Ocarina of Time first because it's not too difficult, it's possibly the most iconic Zelda title, and it's a well balanced game

2nd would be A Link to the Past because IMO it's one of the best most fundamentally sound Zelda titles to date, and it's a classic. Plus they'd need a good first 2D Zelda experience

3rd the Wind Waker cuz it's my favorite and it's a good way to demonstrate the series' diversity in style

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
Good thread idea.

3 things I tell them:
- The hero is named Link, Zelda is (most of the time) the princess. Because many people tend to mix that up at first...I'm guilty of it too...
- It's an ideal game for people who like medieval fantasies, if they like Lord of the Rings and stuff like that, they'll love Zelda.
- Each Zelda game has its own quirks, which include time travel, shapeshifting, sailing, flying...so they should try as many of them as they can, it's not a series that's just the same thing over and over again.

What I tell them to start with:
- Skyward Sword first. It's the beginning of the timeline, and therefore a good place to start. I would warn them about the tearjerker plot twist around mid to late game.
- Ocarina of Time second, so they can see how the kingdom of Hyrule that was started at the end of SS is coming along. I would tell them that this was the first 3d installment, Nintendo doesn't always make their Zelda games in chronological order. And I would warn them about redeads.
- Twilight Princess third. I would tell them that this is only one possible sequel to OoT, they should check out WW after they're done with TP to see a different sequel. I would tell them not to feel bad if they don't get the branching timeline, it's confusing even to me.

1. They will never regret picking one up
2. The gameplay is great and the world is a joy to explore (not the mention THAT MUSIC)
3. It plays on classic tales of heroes, evils, kingdoms, and magic and spins it all together an epic legend.

I'd probably recommend the 3D titles first to get them started, and they can expand to the classics later. I'm going to name four instead of three: Ocarina of Time, The Wind Waker (my first), Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword

Salem

SICK
Probably the latest ones, cause they're the easiest to find, I'll probably introduce them instead to OoT and alttp if they have a Wii.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
its an overrated piece of shi-nah i'm just kidding
for games i would recommend past,wind waker,& twilight princess

past b/c its the prime zelda game,wind waker & twilight princess b/c they're pretty good examples to show how the game of zelda works;ocarina is pretty dated & majoras mask is a little too complex for newbies [whoever made the idea of saving then forcing you to quit which would otherwise erase your progress should get punched in the face]

First three things I'd tell them:

1. It's a fantasy series.
2. It's puzzle-solving and exploration based.
3. The old ones are better in my opinion.

First three games I'd have them play:

1. A Link to the Past, so they can experience the quintessential Zelda formula.
2. Ocarina of Time, so they can experience that formula in 3D-space, and because it features the most iconic Hyrule.
3. Majora's Mask, because it's different, because I think it's the best 3D Zelda, and just because it's my favorite.

W

Wolf Link

1. Zelda is an action/adventure (I think) series that's set in a medieval/fantasy world

2. The main character's name is Link, not Zelda! I thought Link's name was Zelda at first.

3. Don't be discouraged if you get stuck. Try everything, even if it seems tedious and frustrating. Only look at walkthroughs as a last resort. It's a lot more rewarding to find out something yourself.

I'd have them play A Link to the Past first. I think it would be kind of hard to go back and play the 2d Zelda's after you play the 3d ones. A Link to the Past really represents what Zelda is, and is truly a classic. Second, I'd have them play Majora's Mask, to demonstrate diversity in the Zelda series. Majora's Mask takes place in another world, is probably the darkest Zelda game, and is focused much more on side quests and characters. Finally, I'd have them play Twilight Princess. Twilight Princess is essentially a modern Ocarina of Time, and they'll be able to see Hyrule in 3d.

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
The first 3 things I would tell them:

1: The games are action-adventure games that take many cues from many different eras and styles, most prominently medieval.
2: The series is known for its high quality in story-telling, gameplay, music, etc.
3: The guy is called Link, not Zelda, get it right! Link's the hero in green, Zelda's the princess.

The 3 games I would recommend to them are:
1: Ocarina of Time. This is the definitive Zelda experience. Pretty much the entire series is based around this one game, and it's the one they would be most likely to be at least vaguely familiar with. If they like this game, chances are they'll like the others too.
2: Skyward Sword. This is the most recent Zelda game and in my eyes the most refined. There's a good chance they'll like the control scheme of the game, and it'll give them a chance to dust off that Wii and use it finally. It also has one of the best stories I've ever witnessed in games, and I really want to share that with them.
3: A Link to the Past.This is the definitive 2D experience. This will also show them that the series isn't just 3D console games but that they branch out into several different systems and styles. Also it's just a heck of a lot of fun.

...I'll have to put off MM until later; much as I love it, it's definitely the weirdest and one of the hardest Zelda games, and it might deter them if introduced too early.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom