• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

If You Could Visit Mars Or The Moon, Would You Do So?

This thread may seem strange but the Technology sub forum is comatose and an out of the ordinary discussion may breathe some much needed life into this section.

One of the biggest human fascinations has been what lies beyond the Earth. From inception, people pondered what was beyond, if there even was a behind. Advances in technology allowed astronomy to flourish as new discoveries were made. Not only did Earth have a smaller and mass in the form of the moon orbiting around it but other planets existed too, some gaseous. The complexity of stars was noted as well as accompanying phenomena including supernovas.

In the twentieth century, man left the Earth’s atmosphere for the first time. In the words of Neil Armstrong, the first to set foot on the porous surface of the moon, it was, “"That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind."

Since then, new possibilities and realms of exploration have opened in the cosmos. Mars is a pivotal point in this development. The notion of potential life on the planet has spurred exploration missions and talks of colonization.

Enter this wacky thread. While NASA and similar governmentally sponsored agencies have pioneered space technology thus far, many people that the private sector will be the first to commercialize and publicize the “final frontier.”

If presented the opportunity to travel to Mars or the moon would you do so given that the voyage is free of charge? I have my own view on the scenario which I’ll refrain from posting for now. Knock yourself out. Are you the adventurous type who would dare the journey or is life on Earth sufficient?

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
Yes. No hesitation. Since I've had a concept of the universe, I've wanted to be out there.

Claire

The Geekette
I'd quickly sign up to visit either, or if I was lucky, both. Now, I think I'd make a terrible choice to send into space. Ignoring that, I would do it in a heart beat. The idea of being able to venture out into the Universe and more clearly comprehend our origins is absolutely fantastic. We're part of this Universe and to me it only makes sense to fully experience it as much as humanly possible.. at least, for now. I can only hope that we continue our endeavors in space-related programs. As a science student, there is also a part of me who would want to take advantage of the opportunity to understand the planetary systems first hand.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Wouldn't mind it myself, but it depends. If it's anything like flying coach then no.

Not Take Mirror

Sage of Ice
I'd jump at the possibility but at the same time I'd also be wary. After awhile the novelty would wear off and I would want to go back home to earth. So my biggest question before venturing out would be, how long would I be gone for?

Zorth

#Scoundrel
Most definitely, my ultimate dream is to venture out into space as either an astronaut or some star fleet officer! :love:

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
Yes, yes, yes. I'd immediately jump at the very first opportunity to do so and never look back. It's been my dream ever since I was a wee little tyke. We as the human race need to be doing everything possible to expand into the final frontier, starting with Mars and the Moon, and in fact I find efforts by others to curb our space programs very detrimental to the advancement of our species. It's the final frontier, people! Once space travel is commercially available, the possibilities are literally endless!

Even if the trip was one-way and I'd never get to go back to Earth, I'd still go. I'd be one of the first people to colonize another planet, that sounds way more awesome than anything else I could do on this Earth.

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
I love science. i particularly love space. Beings my intended major is Astrophysics, draw your own conclusions.

I actually really want to live on the moon. Imagine seeing THAT (V) when you wake up!

54427main_MM_image_feature_102_jw4.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom