• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

If You Could Create Your Own Zelda Game.

M

Major

If you could create your own Zelda title, what would it be like? Difficulty, Atmosphere, Gameplay, Instrument, Character, Villain, Bosses, Dungeon Design, Overworld, Method of Travel, ANYTHING. How would you create your Zelda game, and feel free to elaborate anyway you want. How would you present the story, everything that makes it Zelda? How would YOU make it Zelda? What would drive the experience that culminates into the most consistent franchise in gaming history? Just curious.

MW7

If I had unlimited time and knew how to program a game, I would make a very enhanced remake of the original game. It would be 2d with graphics like ALTTP. It would have virtually no storyline like the first game in the series, and you would go to 10 dungeons collecting pieces of whatever (maybe triforce like the first game) in order to unlock the 11th and final dungeon where Ganon has taken Zelda. It would be very nonlinear, and you could explore most of the overworld from the start. The overworld would be a little more like ALTTP rather than LOZ though so you couldn't go everywhere at the start. The dungeons would take certain concepts from the original game like allowing small keys to be used in different dungeons, but dungeons would be designed more like ALTTP's rather than LOZ. The game would be much more puzzle oriented than the original game, but the overall amount of challenge would be similar. There would definitely be more depth to the NPC's, but sidequests wouldn't be the most important part of this game. With everything else being limited, this game would more than make up for it IMO by having two second quests. Once you beat the first quest, you unlock a harder second quest with completely new dungeons. Once you beat the second quest, you unlock a third quest with extremely high difficulty. So all in all the main drawing point of this game would be 33 unique dungeons of increasing difficulty.

Surprised that I never see this kind of topic. Anyway if I could create a Zelda game.
Title: The Legend of Zelda: Knight Rising
Difficulty: Twilight Princess-level
Atmosphere: The first third (three dungeons) would have a somewhat optimistic tone despite darker undertones about the central villains. The second portion (next three dungeons) would involve a much darker look following certain areas having been destroyed or locked out for some time, but the final 3 dungeons arc would show the world rebuilding itself and coming to a more optimistic feel to it. Basically think Gurren Lagann's first half (Fun, followed by a deconstruction of the conventional tropes they use but a superb reconstruction afterwards)
Character: This Link is much younger than the adult Links shown, roughly 15. His character can be attributed to a kid who dreams of doing something his whole life, but when he gets there he finds it be harder and not as great as one expected but his perseverance allows him to not only make it work the way he wanted, but better. I think of him as what most kids are like when they reach an age and learn that something we want isn't exactly what we hoped for, but by the end we still make it work. To add to the kid growing up, more obvious signs of a romance between him and Zelda.
Villain: While they will be hijacked by Ganon, spoiler, there are three central bad guys. Three former knights of Hyrule who for their own reasons became corrupt and have begun a hostile takeover of the kingdom. One is a nihilist with a complete lack of sanity, whose green/purple color scheme is an homage to the Joker. The other is about as tall as Demise with heavy armor who just wants bloodshed. The last, the leader, is a cold, brooding figure who simply wants revenge on the Royal Family and all knights for a tragedy he blames them for that befell his family. (This is my fulfilling a desire to see an actual evil knight as a major villain and not just a mini-boss)
Bosses: 2 of the 3 can be faced twice, the insane one and the tall one, while the rest follow creatures that are under their control. The beasts all fit the type of fighting style they use. Those under the insane knight, Arlekin (derived from harlequin) are all forest and wind themed. Those under the destructive knight, Tertitan (derived from titan) are water and ice themed. Those under the lead knight, Giloten (derived from Guillotine) are fire and earth themed.
Dungeon Design: All similar to Skyward Sword's dungeon design.
Overworld: Open field
Method of Travel: Besides on foot, you do get a horse.

The premise is that Link, an orphan for over a year in a village far from where he was born, Hyrule castle town, has flashes to meeting Princess Zelda and being an instant friend with her because they don't meet other people their own age. However, the castle is attacked by an army led by 3 former knights who go by "The Phantom Knights". (Yes, I googled that to see if there is something called that. Turns out there's apparently a sports team called that) Link's father dies in battle saving the castle but his mother dies on the way to the village where the orphanage is. The knights were turned to stone but 1 year later, the Phantom Knights have returned to life when the spell wears off and are attempting to kill of any and all descendants of the knights of Hyrule as well as the Royal Family so they can repay the one who helped them in claiming revenge. Link's partner this time is a ghostly knight named Hollo, a friend of his father's, who also serves the role of a mentor.
The theme of the game revolves around the dangers of growing up and how you still go through the hardships, becoming a stronger person in the end. Taking that coming of age feel Zelda is known for and really giving it a go. It is reflected in the characters as well. You are treated as a kid with a cute dream. Then you are treated as a crazy kid in world that is destined for turmoil, but finally you are treated as a hero to the people.
And yes, the Master Sword is here, this takes place 80 years after the events of Twilight Princess.

I actually made up some kind of story when I was younger, it was called The Legend of Zelda: the Three Goddesses (don't ask me why)
I made up different levels, characters, environment, a map etc. (I believe I still have some of the drawings, I've got to look them up)
Main boss was sort of an anti-Zelda, called Helda (yeah very difficult to come up with that name)
Also every level, they are all sort of islands, have their own Great Fairy with clothing and hairstyling representing their island.

If I find the drawings I'll post them :P

Gizmo

Isn't it Captain Keeta?!
I thought quite a lot about something like this during the last years. "My" new Zelda would be named
The Legend of Zelda: Dawn of A New Day

As you probably can imagine it would be a sequel to Zelda: Majora's Mask.

The things I would concentrate on are:
- A at first "bright and friendly" story that turns into a darker one after like 2 to 4 hours of playing
- After that a timesystem of one week would come in (very similar to Majora's Mask)
- Comeback of all more or less significant charakters (like the happy mask salesman, the skull kid, Tatl,
Tael, Navi, the Bombers, the man from curiosity shop, Kafei, Guru-Guru, Deku King + doughter + butler,
Aveil, Darmani + elder goron + baby goron, Mikau, The Indigo-Go's, King Igos du Ikana + servants, Fierce
Deity, Dampe, etc.)
- Comeback of the following races: Hylians, Gorons, Zoras, Dekus, Gerudos, Army of Ikana
- Every single character has an own story to tell, has own problems (that are often not easy to see, so
you need to find out), and doesn't talk very much about Links actual next goal. Also every character
would appear to be "alive" during all 7 days and can be seen in different situations.
- a few (up to 5) "main temples" that all have their very own history and right to exist.
- About 85% of the main story would be played outside of temples.
- the purposes of these temples are not to collect something like holy stones, parts of the triforce etc.
Every temple has it's own goal and needs to be infiltrated by Link because of: Different problems the
concerning races/characters have because of stuff that's connected with "evil things" that are/happen
inside the particular temple. Also because of the final aim, but this is not the essential thing why the
temples need to be done.
- In all places of the world would be quite many areas that only can be reached with the help of items that
can be found later. All these areas will perhaps wait with some rubees for you. More importantly there
also will be things like books that tell fairytales and historical things about the area. Also you maybe can
find old, strange ruins, that probably don't make much sense to you at first but remind you of something.
But this is !NO! standard experience. Every place has it's own especialness.
- Probably there would be masks again that can be obtained as rewards etc. (rubees and heart pieces as
rewards are pretty boring I think)
- Very many side quests of the game would be quite complex and can't be started without thinking. You
often have to think yourself about solutions and backgrounds even though there will be some help. There
sure would be a companoin but she/he doesn't talk much about things like that.

Things I wouldn't concentrate on:
- Number of temples.
- New races and many new characters
- giant landscapes
- stuff to collect (like insects, souls, or the things in Zelda: Skyward Sword)
- more innovative controlling

This sure sounds not good for some of you but I would like to create a Zelda game without the feeling of monotony. Nothing like searching for Shadow Insects, always doing the same things before you can get into each temple, and most importantly: You never know what happens after the next one, since nobody is like "You have to go there, there, and thee and then this happens".

It's very important to me to show a story that is well thought out during every little aspect of the game, even the smallest side quest should end with the feeling that you want to think on. My biggest fiends are monotony, uncharismatic characters, a lame story and pretty sensless/boring stuff you get as the only reward for something.

Of course there would be things like "minigames" to, I did not forget this. But if you want to do the same thing over and over again this only should be a possibility (like minigames) and not a part of the actual story/game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom