• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

If there were more divine beasts...

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
The original divine beasts already felt cheap at more than one. They were too similar, with their main mechanics not doing enough to actually make the gameplay stand out. Personally I felt like elephant was the best but it was my first so I can't tell if the novelty (which botw is big on) is responsible for that

I think more is just an opportunity to do better
It made sense to me that they all felt the same (satisfying game design or no) since they all came from the same source and were built to do the same thing so they didn't feel cheap to me. I think if they added four more divide beasts in BotW2, it would feel like Miyamoto making a sequel to OoT and saying, "There were actually four more shadow temples and now you're going to conquer all of them!" I think it would be contrived but at least make some sense if the sheikah developed other big mechanical constructs that were not divine beasts. Does it not seem like the divine beasts had their place and fulfilled their role? Does it feel like there's a hole in the story that can demands more divine beasts?

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
Does it not seem like the divine beasts had their place and fulfilled their role? Does it feel like there's a hole in the story that can demands more divine beasts?
Gameplay comes first
If Nintendo thinks more divine beasts is more fun they'll make more
It isn't about whether or not another divine beast fits in the timeline

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
It's what a good developer does
Can't help but feel like the plot has been completely lost in a contrarian milieu here. To be clear, you're saying that Nintendo should add more divine beasts because that's what you consider good gameplay? I can't help but note once again that this isn't a petition to Nintendo that they add more divine beasts, I posited that the number of divine beasts is adequate from my point of view. I was hoping to hear opinions assenting or dissenting. If your response is that Nintendo is a video developer then I heartily agree! Any thoughts on whether the number of divine beasts should remain or increase?

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
I didn't like the divine beasts. I don't think they did a good job designing them. I think fan feedback has made that apparent to them. My confusion was directed towards you bringing up the story as the main reason for or against more divine beasts

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
Got it. I don't contend that Nintendo focuses on story, they're a toy manufacturer and that's why we love them. I care about the story and think that it would be a reason not to add more divide beasts and I also think that adding more divide beasts would make them all feel cheap because the reason BotW introduced them in universe was that they were necessary to fulfill a very specific purpose. The original question was directed toward fans and their opinions so I was hoping to express my opinion on additional divide beasts and hear other fan's opinions on it. Lol, we all know where Nintendo ranks story in their game development, that's a good call. They know how to make a great game and good money, I don't question their method but I also have opinions on the finer points of Zelda's story.

I had kind of been hoping the ones we’ve had would have played out more like the colossi from SotC. It would have made too much sense what with the climbing mechanics and all, but I guess it was not to be. I like the idea of a moving dungeon, perhaps a bit closer to our standard ones at least in length, but I don’t think I’d want it to be a divine beast.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Like a time looped beast??

Yeah, something like that. Maybe the challenge of the dungeon could be less about unlocking new portions to explore and more about shutting down whatever is causing the destruction piece by piece, eventually culminating in stopping the destruction of the Divine Beast entirely and giving you access to the boss chamber at its core.

Skull_Kid

Bugaboo!
I'm afraid I have to disagree with you there. The Divine Beasts were, yes, not as impressive as some other dungeons (ie Dragon Roost Island, Ancient Cistern), but it's not every day you get to go inside a giant robot creature

Going inside one was cool, going inside two was ok, going inside three was meh, going inside four was boring. So please, no more DBs

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom