• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

If Super Mario 3D World Doesnt Boost Wii Us Sales, is It in Grave Danger?

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Given the current situation with the Wii U, I find that unlikely this time. The Wii U is still in it's early stages which means Nintendo still has plenty of time to turn the tides. People kept saying the same things when the Wii reached it's 1st Anniversary, look where it is now.

Honestly, it doesn't matter. You basically implied that the Wii U will win this generation, and I highly doubt that's correct.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
So this just in, 3D World's debut in Japan had it shift 107k copies. Which is a respectable number, of course, but it also makes 3D World the lowest ever debut of any 3D Mario game.

Are you kidding me. This is the same crock that WiiUDaily was sputtering over the place. Like I said over there, keep in mind the subject you are talking about. This is Japan we're talking about, not NA or any other country. Japan is not big on console gaming (unless it's JRPG). Mario and Zelda's console iterations are not big over in Japan - people know of them, but sales really come from USA and UK. Need proof? Check this out kiddos: Japan's week one sales for the following Super Mario titles~

Super Mario 3D Land - 344,698
Super Mario Galaxy 2 - 337,569
Super Mario Sunshine - 280,610
Super Mario Galaxy - 256,341
Super Mario 64 - 162,113
Super Mario 64 DS - 120,062
Super Mario 3D World - 106,967

These numbers aren't at all bad. "Worst debut ever" is just a subtle way for people to say bad about the Wii U. However, the Wii U is rising. Don't doubt the big N.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Ventus said:
Are you kidding me. This is the same crock that WiiUDaily was sputtering over the place.

... how is something 'crock' when it's a fact? Just because it's not what you want to hear doesn't make it not true or, as you put it, 'crock'. It's just a bit of random trivia to accompany the stats I posted (which you then posted too...).

JuicieJ said:
Honestly, it doesn't matter. You basically implied that the Wii U will win this generation, and I highly doubt that's correct.

I thought even the diehard Nintendo fans had given up on that one. :P I'm still optimistic the Wii U will be saved, so to speak, and see some respectable sales with the slew of games coming out soon, but that's really the extent of it.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
... how is something 'crock' when it's a fact? Just because it's not what you want to hear doesn't make it not true or, as you put it, 'crock'. It's just a bit of random trivia to accompany the stats I posted (which you then posted too...).

Trust me, Ventus is one of the LAST people that will "not want to hear" bad news about the Wii U. He's been very vocal about his grievances with the thing... which I'm surprised you've missed.

He's absolutely correct in his assessment. The statistics aren't showing worldwide sales, just a slice of the world in order to make the situation seem as bleak as possible. It's propaganda.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Might wanna rethink that statement.

[video=youtube;xuCXDQktu_Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuCXDQktu_Y[/video]

I missed this...

I have to disagree with it heavily. Nintendo relies on Mario and Pokemon. But even Pokemon is doing half as well compared to when it started. Zelda, Donkey Kong, and Smash Brothers are OK but not the huge franchises. On average, your typical CoD title sells 2x your typical Zelda title (this is going by their sales on the Xbox and 360 alone). Donkey Kong (less worth than Zelda) has been slowly falling into obscurity and only now showing signs of potential recovery, not to mention you could argue he's bundled with Mario, so he'd go too. And while Smash Bros. has been steadily climbing, it's far too infrequent to rely on and it sounds like Sakurai isn't planning on adding more more characters or content....so if Smash Brothers U. has the physics everyone wants, there won't be much reason to get the next title.

Metroid is insignificant with its best seller gaining less than 3m sales. Star Fox and F-Zero are dead. Pikmin is in worse shape than Metroid. Sonic's dying and most of the success from that game lately has been with his crossovers with Mario. Kirby's top five are all from the old days (Technically not Super Star Ultra, but it's a remake from the old days), and only one of them breaks the 3m mark.

It's amazing, from a business standpoint, how small Nintendo's other franchises are in general. When compared to Mario, they're practically dwarfed by comparison. And after seeing this giant fail to save the Wii U, I don't see how these midgets, insects and corpses are going to make an impact.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
It's amazing, from a business standpoint, how small Nintendo's other franchises are in general. When compared to Mario, they're practically dwarfed by comparison. And after seeing this giant fail to save the Wii U, I don't see how these midgets, insects and corpses are going to make an impact.

:facepalm:

Mario alone isn't going to reel in sales for a console that has barely any marketing. There are still people that think the Wii U is just the GamePad and that it's an extension to the Wii, especially when two consoles have launched alongside of it. It's going to take a steady stream of games and a HUGE overhaul of the damn thing's marketing campaign to turn it around -- which WILL happen. There's a good 9-10 years left in this console generation.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao

JJ's reply pretty much said what I wanted to say. When you put word strings like "worst ever" next to anything, it is practically all propaganda at that point. Whether it is YOUR propaganda or someone else's is irrelevant. My point is that the Wii U isn't doing as poorly as the messages in your posts want folks to believe, and I recommend rewording your information in such a way that does not transmit these negative vibes.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Advertising hmmm...well that really brings up the question...just how many people are stupid enough to think the Wii U is an expansion? If it's insignificant, will it really boost sales? If it's significant, will the advertising be enough to save it from its rep?

Salem

SICK
Advertising hmmm...well that really brings up the question...just how many people are stupid enough to think the Wii U is an expansion? If it's insignificant, will it really boost sales? If it's significant, will the advertising be enough to save it from its rep?
You'd be surprised....

Last edited:

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
He's absolutely correct in his assessment. The statistics aren't showing worldwide sales, just a slice of the world in order to make the situation seem as bleak as possible. It's propaganda.

... what? Can no one read?

The only issue here is everyone focusing on that single line, continually quoting it and only discussing it, and taking it completely out of context, there's no 'propaganda', what a dumb thing to think. 3D World selling that number in Japan is a fact. It being the lowest debut of a Mario game in Japan is a fact. Posting these facts, just because they're bad, doesn't mean your trying to be as negative as possible and posting 'propaganda', I'm just posting news. Nowhere did I say "this proves 3D World is selling badly", "this proves the Wii U is dead", in fact I defended the statistics with mostly the same arguments everyone else used themselves whilst they seemingly ignored it as they just focused on out-of-context quotes and unexplained statistics.

Didn't realise I'd get so much stick for simply posting some news. Thanks.

(not checking thread again)

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
... what? Can no one read?

The only issue here is everyone focusing on that single line, continually quoting it and only discussing it, and taking it completely out of context, there's no 'propaganda', what a dumb thing to think. 3D World selling that number in Japan is a fact. It being the lowest debut of a Mario game in Japan is a fact. Posting these facts, just because they're bad, doesn't mean your trying to be as negative as possible and posting 'propaganda', I'm just posting news. Nowhere did I say "this proves 3D World is selling badly", "this proves the Wii U is dead", in fact I defended the statistics with mostly the same arguments everyone else used themselves whilst they seemingly ignored it as they just focused on out-of-context quotes and unexplained statistics.

Didn't realise I'd get so much stick for simply posting some news. Thanks.

(not checking thread again)
I think everyone is just discussing the context of the data itself. Raw statistics are not as accurate as it suggests - they're just numbers with no real clarification. I'm not doubting it's legitimacy; however, it's just that we have to analyse said data and that's what most have been doing here.

The data, that you posted, was quite ambiguous and it sends out the wrong message. Essentially, it implies that Super Mario 3D World is the worst 3D Mario game to be released over the last three generations and it's generally a negative thing altogether.

I think everyone is replying because they simply see through the data and see that it's not really a good sample for what the game is. I don't think truly anyone is giving you stick we're just discussing as per forum's sake.

Last edited:

Clank

Hmm
If people actually bought a console based on how powerful it is, then Nintendo would have already lost the WIi generation(and probably the handheld market), I guess my point is nobody buys a Wii U(or Wii) for what features it has or how powerful it is, they but it because they want to play Nintendo games(or a few select other games that aren't released on other platforms).

So yeah, Nintendo isn't going anywhere.

I have to disagree with it heavily. Nintendo relies on Mario and Pokemon. But even Pokemon is doing half as well compared to when it started. Zelda, Donkey Kong, and Smash Brothers are OK but not the huge franchises. On average, your typical CoD title sells 2x your typical Zelda title (this is going by their sales on the Xbox and 360 alone). Donkey Kong (less worth than Zelda) has been slowly falling into obscurity and only now showing signs of potential recovery, not to mention you could argue he's bundled with Mario, so he'd go too. And while Smash Bros. has been steadily climbing, it's far too infrequent to rely on and it sounds like Sakurai isn't planning on adding more more characters or content....so if Smash Brothers U. has the physics everyone wants, there won't be much reason to get the next title.

Speaking of Pokemon, is it just me, or is it the only Nintendo franchise to still do better in sales compared to Nintendo's other franchises?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom