• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

If Super Mario 3D World Doesnt Boost Wii Us Sales, is It in Grave Danger?

Salem

SICK
During the time period where the casual audience hadn't yet migrated over to the Android and tablet market. Not to mention everyone and his/her brother had a Wii by the time NSMB Wii came out.
Like I said, it's hard to predict, hell I HOPE this new game to sell well. I want a new multiplayer Mario game to play with others by the time Mario Kart comes out.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
During the time period where the casual audience hadn't yet migrated over to the Android and tablet market. Not to mention everyone and his/her brother had a Wii by the time NSMB Wii came out.
What about Super Mario Galaxy 2? That came out after New Super Mario Bros Wii...

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Take notice that Galaxy 2 isn't a casual-oriented game and therefore isn't going to appeal to the casual market quite as easily.
Oh that I get, I thought you were making the argument that the Galaxy games didn't do as well due to timing.

---

Anyway, I don't think Nintendo is necessarily in "danger" if Super Mario 3D World doesn't do well. This game is pivotal for setting the bar for other games as well as building momentum for the console, but Nintendo have some other big titles on the way as well. So it's important that this game does well but the Wii U isn't in any big danger as it's still early in the console's life cycle.

Salem

SICK
Casual oriented or not is not the point, the point is NSMB outsold Galaxy, a 3D Mario game, what Darkest seemed to suggest that 2D Mario games on console do better than the 3D ones, at least that's what I understood.

I think Super Mario 3D World will sell better than New Super Mario Bros U at least, mostly because it's not a simple rehash of Super Mario 3D Land. Nintendo have done better than before in terms of advertising and they've really shown off the new features of this game. I think the overall sales will be pretty good, however I don't think Nintendo will be in trouble if Super Mario 3D World doesn't manage to drastically boost sales.

Salem

SICK
It IS the point. NSMB Wii sold so well because the casual audience was eating up the Wii and it was a casual-oriented game.
What I understood is that NSMB sold really well because the Wii itself was selling really well regardless of the casual or hardcore audiance, the reason it's sequel didn't sell as well be cause the Wii U didn't sell as well as the Wii yet.

I really think it's the lack of marketing than any other reason.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Take notice that Galaxy 2 isn't a casual-oriented game and therefore isn't going to appeal to the casual market quite as easily.

...What are you talking about? Mario in general is a casual-oriented series. Even so, NSMB is meant to appeal moreso to the hardcore casuals who have been gaming for some time now.

Salem

SICK
...What are you talking about? Mario in general is a casual-oriented series. Even so, NSMB is meant to appeal moreso to the hardcore casuals who have been gaming for some time now.
Is hardcore casuals a new gamer label now? XD

Anyway, casual or not, Mario is one the most popular franchises in gaming, it's gonna sell no matter what.

Mario's definitely become more casual with the Super Guide feature introduced since New Super Mario Bros. Wii, yet without using this assist system, modern Mario games are as challenging as classics including Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario World. The platformer audience has always been there and while New Super Bros. Wii no doubt experienced a sales boost due to the Wii's then large install base, it would have sold well anyhow given the large hardware: software ratios of its 2D predecessors. New Super Mario Bros. U performed well initially, but has since stubmled because there's been little incentive for people to purchase Wii U's.

Super Mario 3D World will therefore be more successful because the Wii U now has a larger install base. It being a 3D Mario isn't a sales drawback either because Super Mario 3D Land has managed to sell 8.6 million units worldwide heretofore, on par with New Super Mario Bros. 2's sales rate.

Snoober

P O K E M O N M A S T E R
One thing I will say is if M3DW fails, then I really don't see how Nintendo can even have a prayer. Smash won't save them. 1 game cannot save a system.

The Jade Fist

Kung Fu Master
I doubt that the WiiU would be in danger because this game didn't sell mostly because of what the Wind Waker HD did for it. In England alone, WiiU sales skyrocketed to over 600%, so the WiiU isn't dependent on SM3DW's sales alone.
600% of nothing is still nothing
Super Mario 3D World will boost the Wii U's sales, it is the new Mario game.

The only thing they need is a good marketing campaign.
They needed to have a good marketing campaign a year ago...

Didn't stop the Gamecube.

Even the game cube sold better. Even the Dreamcast sold better. The Wii U has a year to double its sales before its ahead to out sell the dreamcast. (and thats when the gaming market was significantly smaller)

Sorry for being so pessimistic about it. I don't want to see the console fail, I just highly think it will. There is bad sales and then there are billion dollar losses. Even Panasonic is like we lost a billion dollars this year on plasma TV's lets stop making them.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
The Wii U probably will fail. People keep saying it's too soon, etc...yeah, they said that about the N64, GC, and PS3...all of those consoles were still in last place by the end of the generation. It's not the games. Tbh, I think the Wii U had a better launch than the PS4, but that's just my opinion. Thing is, we know what to expect from Nintendo. There's no anticipation like there is for Sony and MS. I knew and know what games we're going to get from Nintendo before they are announced. I'm sure the next Paper Mario title is in the horizon.

I'll admit, I waited to buy a Wii U because it was too expensive. But the price is lowered and that's that. I'm sure it won't be as bad off at the end as it is now, but I wouldn't expect the Wii U to do well at this rate. Nintendo made a mistake and tried to grab the hardcore audience and, in the process, they neglected their casual and non-gamer audience. Problem is, the hardcore audience doesn't like Nintendo and the non-gamer and casual audience doesn't HAVE to have a system.

I'm not hating on the Wii U or anything...actually, I think it has the potential to be my favorite gaming console of all time! But from a business standpoint, I think Nintendo made a mistake. They should have upgraded the Wii and expanded the motion controls. The hardcore gamers are going to stick to the hardcore gaming companies. Some of the non-gamers and casuals will sit out this gen. The other non-gamers will go for the Xbox One for Kinect (those that aren't turned off by the M-rated games or creeped out by it) The loyal casuals will stick with Nintendo, sure, but they just aren't enough.

Actually, I think Microsoft made the same mistake. They tried to force the Kinect down everyone's throat to grab the casual and non-gamer market, but ended up pissing off the hardcore gamers because of it. The only reason they aren't totally screwed is because Nintendo made the same mistake and left some non-gamers and casuals for Microsoft to grab.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom