• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

If Super Mario 3D World Doesnt Boost Wii Us Sales, is It in Grave Danger?

Snoober

P O K E M O N M A S T E R
The Wii U probably will fail.
Yeah man... if that happens... I'm seriously gonna cry. Nintendo has been a part of my life for a long time. Watching them sink is hurting pretty bad, even if it is mainly their own fault they're in this situation to begin with man

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Yeah man... if that happens... I'm seriously gonna cry. Nintendo has been a part of my life for a long time. Watching them sink is hurting pretty bad, even if it is mainly their own fault they're in this situation to begin with man

Oh the Wii U will probably fail, yes, but I don't think Nintendo is doomed. In fact, when it comes to gaming, not only do I think Nintendo is currently in the best standing, but it may be the only company to survive for the ninth generation. I sounds like Sony's given up on Gen 9 and are preparing for the Age of Cellphone and, if anything, I think MS would embrace this. But Nintendo's always had their own weird way of doing things and I'd be shocked if they didn't at least attempt a Gen 9 console.

Oh the Wii U will probably fail, yes, but I don't think Nintendo is doomed. In fact, when it comes to gaming, not only do I think Nintendo is currently in the best standing, but it may be the only company to survive for the ninth generation. I sounds like Sony's given up on Gen 9 and are preparing for the Age of Cellphone and, if anything, I think MS would embrace this. But Nintendo's always had their own weird way of doing things and I'd be shocked if they didn't at least attempt a Gen 9 console.

Do you think that Sony and Microsoft would really abandon the console market completely? Yes, the age of the smart-phone/tablet is upon us, and both companies are already making strides to prepare for the end of days when it comes to those devices dethroning the personal computer, but I don't think that next gen will be the time that the Xbox and Playstation brands bite the dust for home consoles. Already you can see that pre-orders for both of them were quite satisfactory, and I don't think any short-term losses would be damning enough to lead to the outright cancellation of future products. Casual phone gaming is on the rise for sure, but consoles are still alive and well for the time being. Both companies also have enormous assets in other places, so it would be tough to justify just quitting unless the Xbone and PS4 just downright fail enormously.

Nintendo doesn't have those other assets, but it does have a few aces in the hole that'll stop the WiiU from completely failing, and will most certainly stop them from ever fading into obscurity.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
The Wii U probably will fail. People keep saying it's too soon, etc...yeah, they said that about the N64, GC, and PS3...all of those consoles were still in last place by the end of the generation.

1) The PS3 outsold the 360.

2) The N64 and GameCube both turned Nintendo a profit, objectively making them a commercial success. The same will happen with the Wii U.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
1) The PS3 outsold the 360.

2) The N64 and GameCube both turned Nintendo a profit, objectively making them a commercial success. The same will happen with the Wii U.

1) Last I checked, PS3 had sold 79m units, while The 360 sold 81m. Not a significant difference, but the PS3 didn't outsell the 360.

2) I never said it wouldn't make them a profit.

@Ver-go-a-go-go

From what I've heard, it sounds like Sony's ready to retire (at consoles) at the end of this gen. But I could be wrong.

Salem

SICK
1) Last I checked, PS3 had sold 79m units, while The 360 sold 81m. Not a significant difference, but the PS3 didn't outsell the 360.
Actually, last time I checked, they were equal in sales. Both sold above 80 million, but I didn't find a figure for the exact number.

From what I've heard, it sounds like Sony's ready to retire (at consoles) at the end of this gen. But I could be wrong.
Are you talking about how they'll make the PS4 stream to every device possible?

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
So this just in, 3D World's debut in Japan had it shift 107k copies. Which is a respectable number, of course, but it also makes 3D World the lowest ever debut of any 3D Mario game.

Aquamarine said:
3D Mario Week One Sales:

1) Super Mario Galaxy 2 - 337,569 (1,032,853 total)
2) Super Mario 3D Land - 344,698 (1,861,023 total)
3) Super Mario Sunshine - 280,610 (789,989 total)
4) Super Mario Galaxy - 256,341 (1,025,664 total)
5) Super Mario 64* - 162,113 (1,639,914 total)
6) Super Mario 64 DS* - 120,062 (1,231,535 total)
7) Super Mario 3D World - 106,967

Which isn't the best start. Wii U sales went up because of it's launch, but haven't really rocketed either. More statistics:

CaptainSmoker said:
GCN before Sunshine: 8.242
GCN Sunshine Launch: 31.750

Wii before Galaxy: 34.766
Wii Galaxy Launch: 40.836

Wii before Galaxy 2: 17.870
Wii Galaxy 2 Launch: 21.304

Wii U before 3D World: 14.006
Wii U 3D World Launch: 20.177

via NeoGAF

Now these look bad and some people have been going back to the whole "doomed" talk, but the Wii U install base is pretty small right now and these sales pretty much reflect that, there's time for it to grow just like both Mario 64 games did. But it's not really made as big a splash as people thought/hoped it would. I guess we'll see if stuff changes in time, but it hasn't yet.

Obligatory chalkboard update:

nljIHxM.png

The small increase in Wii U sales with recent software releases, especially Super Mario 3D Land, isn't surprising. If I weren't a faithful Nintendo fan, I probably wouldn't have bought the console yet either and the games released this year don't justify a purchase. The system still appeals to a very niche audience. Most of Nintendo's first party efforts have been Mario games and casual minigame and fitness collections.

I know a lot of people are saying that Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros. 4 won't make a big difference, but those are social experiences that are meant to be played with others, locally or online. Solid franchise establishment and reliability as well as good word of mouth should move more Wii U units down the line. If the console is in this same situation late next year, then it can be written off.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I don't see how it is. I really hate games that feel more of the same as its predecessor. This is the same complaint I had with games like Pokemon Black & White 2 & the NSMB series, for example. To me, this is a very bad thing.

SMG2 was in a better position than most other Mario games though. It was the direct sequel to a still fresh, very highly-rated game on an already successful, booming console. So that's why it sold well. Many Mario games never had those going for them, and 3D World definitely doesn't have those things going for it.

It's the same reason why Final Fantasy 8 sold faster than FF7; FF7 may be the better game to many people, but FF8 rode off it's predecessor's success and so sold a lot faster, with a bigger install base to sell to.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom