• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Hylian Shield to Windwaker Shield

Kyru

WOAHHHH!
So I was thinking of how I was pretty upset with the Windwaker for not having a Hylian shield in the game (this is a whole different story though...)

Anyways, so here is what I think could have possibly happened.
So if you look at the Hylian shield then there appears to be a depiction of a loftwing on the front of it. However, with the Windwaker's shield there seems to be a depiction of a Rito on the front of it.
Interesting huh? Well I was thinking that overtime the use of loftwings was unnecessary because well Skyloft had reunited with the land below (Hyrule). So over time the loftwings began to adapt and over time they eventually became the Rito that we see in Windwaker. Now I don't really have any backing in why the loftwings would need to adapt for any reason however the shields changing as so kinda sparked the idea.

Let me know what you guys think. Now if you can find anything to contradict any of this please do let me know however let's not get crazy with it calling me an idiot. I am perfectly capable of doing so myself if necessary.

Kyru

WOAHHHH!
Now I know these probably aren't 100% accurate but it gives reference to what I was speaking about for you to look at yourself.

tumblr_n8qgc7iNvV1r2dr4uo5_1280.jpg

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Unfortunately it's confirmed that the Rito have evolved from River Zora, That bird seems more like a seagull but who knows ^^. Also as we can see that Link had a new Shield on his journey to Termina and it seems to have a winged skull on it. I wonder what that is representive off. All the shields bar the two earliest ones seems to have some representation of an animal/bird on them. So clearly Birds have a huge impact on the Hylian lore.

Kyru

WOAHHHH!
Why then the birds? There is got to be some reason because it really frustrates me that they do not have the Hylian shield in WW or that timeline as a matter of fact. WE NEED ANSWERS!

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Why then the birds? There is got to be some reason because it really frustrates me that they do not have the Hylian shield in WW or that timeline as a matter of fact. WE NEED ANSWERS!

I think up to OOT the Birds are indeed the Skylofts but after than point the timeline becomes really fractured, down the defeat path we can see that the shields take on religious effects, likely due to the people of Hyrule turning their backs on the goddess' for failing to protect them, we see in the child line that the bird motif still exists but is changing slowly and the in the adult timeline Hyrule itself has passed into legend and the new inhabitants of the realm no longer look to the formerly sacred birds and instead take inspiration from the sea, The only shields that can contradict that are the ST and ALBW shields

VitaTempusN92

Hero of Time! The True Zelda Genius!
@Kyru : You said that the bird the WW Shield is a Rito. But, since when did the Rito have horns? Just saying.

@Shironagi :

Unfortunately it's confirmed that the Rito have evolved from River Zora, That bird seems more like a seagull but who knows ^^. Also as we can see that Link had a new Shield on his journey to Termina and it seems to have a winged skull on it. I wonder what that is representive off. All the shields bar the two earliest ones seems to have some representation of an animal/bird on them. So clearly Birds have a huge impact on the Hylian lore.

River Zora!? Don't you mean the Zora's from OoT? I can't imagine that the Rito evolved from the River Zora. The Rito evolving from the OoT Zora makes more sense, especially since WW comes after OoT.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
@Kyru : You said that the bird the WW Shield is a Rito. But, since when did the Rito have horns? Just saying.

@Shironagi :

River Zora!? Don't you mean the Zora's from OoT? I can't imagine that the Rito evolved from the River Zora. The Rito evolving from the OoT Zora makes more sense, especially since WW comes after OoT.

Yea the Rito do evolve from the Zora from Zora's Domain in OOT. They live in a river hence they are River Zora, also i classify them as such to distinguish in the later games between the Ocean and River types.

Kyru

WOAHHHH!
You said that the bird the WW Shield is a Rito. But, since when did the Rito have horns? Just saying.

Why is it that the bird does have horns? Why can't it be a fancy hat or feathers outta place?? I'm just saying there is a very strong resemblance of the Rito in the image on the shield.

VitaTempusN92

Yea the Rito do evolve from the Zora from Zora's Domain in OOT. They live in a river hence they are River Zora, also i classify them as such to distinguish in the later games between the Ocean and River types.

OoA disagrees. It's confirmed that this is a River Zora:

latest

And OoT's Zoras look nothing like that! This a normal Zora from OoT and MM:

200px-Zoraoot.png

There is a BIG difference between the two.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
OoA disagrees. It's confirmed that this is a River Zora:

latest

And OoT's Zoras look nothing like that! This a normal Zora from OoT and MM:

200px-Zoraoot.png

There is a BIG difference between the two.

I feel i should point out at 2 things.

1) This isn't keeping on topic about the shields

2) Correct me if i am Wrong but isn't the OOX games on the defeated timelines and happened AFTER ALTTP where we saw Hostile zoralike creatures (zolas i think they are called) So obviously they have changed since OOT. Also the Zoras live in a fresh water environment that is the source for Hyrules river which has connections to Lake Hylia and Gerudo Valley. So yea i'd imagine that they are river zora seeing as they LIVE IN A FREAKING RIVER. Good Job trying to compare a later version of the same species to an earlier one. Ever hear of evolution?

VitaTempusN92

I feel i should point out at 2 things.

1) This isn't keeping on topic about the shields

2) Correct me if i am Wrong but isn't the OOX games on the defeated timelines and happened AFTER ALTTP where we saw Hostile zoralike creatures (zolas i think they are called) So obviously they have changed since OOT. Also the Zoras live in a fresh water environment that is the source for Hyrules river which has connections to Lake Hylia and Gerudo Valley. So yea i'd imagine that they are river zora seeing as they LIVE IN A FREAKING RIVER. Good Job trying to compare a later version of the same species to an earlier one. Ever hear of evolution?

1) Yes, I know the Zola thing. But it's unfortunately, confirmed that Zolas are called River Zoras as they are called in OoX, and just Zoras in ALttP and ALBW. Personally, I think that the Zola name for hostile Zoras makes more sense come to think of it, since they are TWO COMPLETELY DIFFERENT species! But unfortunately they are just a DIFFERENT breed of Zora.

2) Yes, I know that OoT's Zoras happen to live near a river. Again, you're going by the logic that this:

latest

Evolved into this:

latest

Yes, that really makes a whole lot of sense. My point was that, like I said, River Zoras (Zolas) and OoT/MM/OoX's normal Zoras are TWO COMPLETELY DIFFERENT breeds/species that so happen to be related. And that it's confirmed that the Rito Tribe evolved from the normal civil Zora.

Plus, I forgot to mention that the normal civil Zoras from OoT moved from OoT's Hyrule to Labrynna because of the Zolas that they're descendants in OoX happen to call River Zoras at that time. So OoT's Zoras were technically River Zoras but in the downfall timeline, not anymore as in that timeline they are what became the Ocean Zora.

If that's what you actually meant, then why didn't just be more specific? Since we all know that the whole Zora evolution and different breeds/species thing is confusing to a lot of people.

Anyways, as for back on topic, I can't really think of much to say to be this thread back on topic. :(

So someone else is going to have help out here.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
1) Yes, I know the Zola thing. But it's unfortunately, confirmed that Zolas are called River Zoras as they are called in OoX, and just Zoras in ALttP and ALBW. Personally, I think that the Zola name for hostile Zoras makes more sense come to think of it, since they are TWO COMPLETELY DIFFERENT species! But unfortunately they are just a DIFFERENT breed of Zora.

2) Yes, I know that OoT's Zoras happen to live near a river. Again, you're going by the logic that this:

latest

Evolved into this:

latest

Yes, that really makes a whole lot of sense. My point was that, like I said, River Zoras (Zolas) and OoT/MM/OoX's normal Zoras are TWO COMPLETELY DIFFERENT breeds/species that so happen to be related. And that it's confirmed that the Rito Tribe evolved from the normal civil Zora.

Plus, I forgot to mention that the normal civil Zoras from OoT moved from OoT's Hyrule to Labrynna because of the Zolas that they're descendants in OoX happen to call River Zoras at that time. So OoT's Zoras were technically River Zoras but in the downfall timeline, not anymore as in that timeline they are what became the Ocean Zora.

If that's what you actually meant, then why didn't just be more specific? Since we all know that the whole Zora evolution and different breeds/species thing is confusing to a lot of people.

Anyways, as for back on topic, I can't really think of much to say to be this thread back on topic. :(

So someone else is going to have help out here.

Yea i can understand where your coming from i didn't really elaborate well i just assumed people knew to what i was referring. But yea back onto topic.

Anyone else think the make of the shield indicates the danger in Hyrule? We see the Hylian Shield in OOT in a shop yet it can also be found in a grave which kinda makes me think that the Metal shield only came about due to the Civil War, where as in WW we make do with a Wooden shield for much of the game, the danger of the Great Sea doesn't seem to be as deadly as in OOT's Time. Then again maybe people preferred a lightweight shield due to falling overboard then the shield wouldn't drag them to the depths.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
1) Yes, I know the Zola thing. But it's unfortunately, confirmed that Zolas are called River Zoras as they are called in OoX, and just Zoras in ALttP and ALBW.

Ritos were only on the Hero is Successful split off Ocarina of Time. Just thought I should point that out. How a Zora or a Zora-like creature looks in games on the Hero fails branch is irrelevant.

Last edited:

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
All that this debate boils down to is Shiro said they evolved from river zora but he had it backwards. Not a big deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom