• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Hylian Shield to Windwaker Shield

Djinn

and Tonic
The shield in ALTTP looked fundamentally different as well. I'm not too surprised to see different designs on the shields since the art team takes a slightly different direction per game anyway. And at the time WW came out there only time a Hylian shield appeared was OoT. So there was no precedent to keep an iconic design alive for the shield in the game. Just that there be some kind of upgraded shield that has some elaborate symbols on the face.

The bird depiction on the face I think is along the same lines. Just following ALTTP from having some wings included into the general abstract design. Nothing was set in stone. It evolved from random wings in ALTTP, to a bir-like thing in OoT which at the time had no real basis or meaning either to something more mythical looking with wings again. Which from a story point of view is not too out there a concept, people have been painting and adorning shields with depictions of mythical figures, animals, and creatures for centuries. Sometimes for luck or protection, sometimes as a talisman for defense or even as a part of a religion. Regardless of the changes from game to game, the thing on the face always had some kind of wings on it.

From an in game story point of view it could be many different reasons why it is not a loftwing. The people living on the great sea seemed to have totally forgotten all of their history and know nothing of Hyrule or the mythology surrounding it. So knowledge of Hylia and the loftwings was likely also forgotten. That leads it open to having whatever the creator wants when decorating a shield. Current era folklore might take precedence but we know almost nothing of what the Great Sea people believed in or thought about. The design is really hard to tell because it is such an abstract figure, it could be a winged person, a bird, or a dragon. All of which are known to exist in the great sea so it can be hard to see where the inspiration comes from.

I see no evidence to believe there is any connection between loftwing and Rito at all. In fact the only times in the series when we are told that a group evolved into another group, we are given the example of where they came from and it involved the direct intervention of a divine being. The Deku tree with the Koroks and Valoo with the Rito. From there fans have been debating for years and years about how X species from a game might have evolved into Y species from a different game on their own. But even in WW where that happened it was not on their own. A deity did it to help them better survive on the sea, not because of real world natural selection and adaptation.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
The shields aren't really all that much of a big deal since there easily accessible and can be bought from local markets in most games unlike relics such as the Master Sword which is clearly one of a kind. My point with the is that shield designs are subject to change based on the era it exists.

There are some consistancies though, obviously the Triforce is the most lauded symbol in all or Hyrule and then you have the Goddess Crest, which is of a similar status. Though I think we need to establish that the Goddess Crest and the Loftwing aren't synonymous, meaning that they're not related. The Goddess Crest is merely a depiction of Hylia's angelic-like form that we can clearly see from her statue. This also relates to the Wind Waker shield were you can see a figure with wings. Easily you could point out that this looks similar to a Rito, but why would they be a symbol on a Hylian Shield? That makes no sense. So the symbol really is just a different adaption of the Goddess Crest, but a more accurate depiction of Hylia in her original form. The Rito are probably somewhat based off Hylia's appearance if anything and not the other way around.

Kyru

WOAHHHH!
. Easily you could point out that this looks similar to a Rito, but why would they be a symbol on a Hylian Shield? That makes no sense. So the symbol really is just a different adaption of the Goddess Crest, but a more accurate depiction of Hylia in her original form. The Rito are probably somewhat based off Hylia's appearance if anything and not the other way around.

I do like this explanation. It kinda links all the loose ends but why brown then? I just remember thinking "why isn't there the Hylian shield?" over and over again.

I guess we need someone to think up what happened...

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Easy answer = design choice

Hard answer = I don't know.

It's one of those, obviously it was a design choice, but in the realm of the game we need to think further than that. Though I honestly couldn't really answer the question without just completely speculating. Why was the Hylian Shield blue previously? Could have just be redesigned to signify the falling of Hyrule - a breaking of tradition so to say.

TheRockinStallion

If I'm not back in 15 minutes, just wait longer!
Didn't we cover that already? I'M A DUDE!
Well, Granny says that the family shield is SAID to the one the hero of time used. However, it is entirely possible that this is NOT the same shield as it could have easily been made by another since OoT Link disappears and presumably leaves no remains when Zelda sends him back to regain his lost time a.k.a his childhood. So, my guess is that the shield WW Link uses is most likely more or less a tribute to the hero of time's shield and the lore behind it has been slightly distorted over the generations.

Last edited:

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Well, Granny says that the family shield is SAID to the one the hero of time used. However, it is entirely possible that this is NOT the same shield as it could have easily been made by another since OoT Link disappears and presumably leaves no remains when Zelda sends him back to regain his lost time a.k.a his childhood. So, my guess is that the shield WW Link uses is most likely more or less a tribute to the hero of time's shield and the lore behind it has been slightly distorted over the generations.

When did she say that, I never remember her saying the shield was the Hero of Time's.

TheRockinStallion

If I'm not back in 15 minutes, just wait longer!
Didn't we cover that already? I'M A DUDE!
When did she say that, I never remember her saying the shield was the Hero of Time's.
My bad. I'd forgotten that it actually says that in the text box once you get it. Still, it's only SAID to be the hero of time's.
shield_by_therockinstallion-d91aw84.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom