• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Hylian Shield and Red Loftwing

I dont remember the dragon saying that he got it from a hero, it could have been from a knight that fought in the great war, which is possible that hylia sent the knights up to Skyloft. Again the red bird still could represent a crimson loftwing. because the knights could have had the loftwings during the war pre-skyloft.

You definitely have something going on in here, if the hero before Link defeated Demise with that shield, it would make sense that t was given to the dragon for the next hero, although this kind of conflicts with my theory of Link being the original hero, it would also make the name have sense,Hylian shield
Well it is also possible it was a knight that fought in the great war before Hylia sent them up to Skyloft. Which mean that the nights still rode on Loftwings. Due to the red bird on the shield.

Last edited:
It makes sense that the bird design on the Hylian Shield IS the Crimson Loftwing Link had.
It's a representation of the hero who wore it, a.k.a Skyward Sword Link.
But how could SS Link receive a shield that was made for him before he even defeated Demise. Because if you get the Hylian shield before you beat Demise and the shield was indeed worn my the hero (SS Link) then Link wouldn't have to go back in time to fight Demise. So it was probably worn by a great night and the symbol of the red loftwing was chosen because they are rare.

Even if there are no specific evidence to connect the Crimson Loftwing with the Hyrule shield it can be positive that the creators did it as a "nod of the hat" to it. And there are actually many ways that they could, in fact, be really connected. I do believe that the dragon said that it is a Legendary Shield, and in the very beginning of the game there are times where it is said that the Crimson Loftwings are much rarer than they use to be. Perhaps it was the "original" loftwing, or the chosen color of the bird for heroes of legend.

Whatever the actual answer is, I believe they are connected.

I thought about this about a while back, it is something that would be surprising if there wasn't a contention... ... But I thought that it was confirmed already?

Smoore

The Rational Theist
Doesn't the red Loftwing symbolize a special connection to Hylia? Perhaps the red bird on the shield refers to her, not to Link's bird.

The same bird symbol is located through out the surface in Skyward Sword. The symbol is on the Forest Temple and in other places so there had to be Loftwings during the time of Hylia. We don't know when the red loftwings became extremely rare species or if the red loftwings were considered sacred. All we do know is that Link's loftwing is extremely rare and was thought to be an extinct type of loftwing. The thunder dragon does call it the Hylian shield. Of course which would have to mean Hylia's shield and when you acquire the shield in the game it states that the shield is imbued with Heroic power. So I think that Hylia did create this shield and entrusted it to the Thunder Dragon to pass down to Link. And the shield shows things that resemble the Hero. So Red Loftwings have to have some kind of connection to Hylia and her power.

The Hyrulian

Hero Of Time
I think it had a very close connection to the shield, because really, the Hylian Shield is exclusive to Link in the Zelda series, am I right? And Link is the only one who has a rare crimson Loftwing, and the shield is used mainly by him, so it's looking like it was a subtle link the developers at Nintendo have made, for only the more observant people to notice.

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
Okay so take a step out of Zelda chronology for a second and remember that in real-time chronology, that bird symbol was used in releases earlier than that, for example Ocarina of Time. You can see a bird on top of the bridge/gate leading up to Hyrule Castle for example. I think that this was probably put into the design before Skyward Sword was even conceieved. So the Loftwing was probably crimson to give the symbol some meaning later on.
Stepping back into Zelda chronology, I think that the red bird was a symbol of Hylia, who created Skyloft and the Loftwings. I think it was probably a coincidence the crimson loftwing ended up being Link's because the loftwings aren't that important in the grand scheme of the game. I do think it was just a stylistic choice to get us talking. Interesting either way though, nice thread :)

*edit* I should probably explain that when I said about Ocarina of Time, the Hylian shield is in common production because you can just buy it in the shop, so I don't think it was divine unless the later Hylian shields were just copies of the original, BUT, in OoT there is that weird creature that eats Hylian Shields...

Last edited:

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I think it is most likely that the red bird is indeed a crimson loftwing since that is the bird of the goddesses chosen hero.

felipe970421

Mardek Innanu El-Enkidu
Hylian shield: Shield of Hylia

The chosen hero of the godess used the "Shield of the goddess Hylia", which would never break

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom