• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Hylian Shield and Red Loftwing

C

chriswilliam92

Some people have connected the bird design on the Hylian Shield with Link's red Loftwing. Do you guys think that this theory is correct? I think it's an interesting observation.

G

Goddess Sword

I think the bird on the Hylian Shield is indeed a representation of the Crimson Loftwing.

The French name for the Hylian Shield is "Bouclier d'Hylia", which means Hylia's Shield. Plus, Hylia's Crest, a.k.a. the Goddess Crest, is the same bird that the one on the shield. Hylia could have made this shield for the Hero, have given it to Lanayru in order for him to give it to Link. Also, I think that she created the Crimson Loftwing to help the Hero in his quest, so it's why it would appear on the shield and on the "statue" at the Temple of Time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ochibi

An enthusiastic nobody.
I think the bird on the Hylian Shield is indeed a representation of the Crimson Loftwing.

The French name for the Hylian Shield is "Bouclier d'Hylia", which means Hylia's Shield. Hylia could have made this shield for the Hero, have given it to Lanayru in order for him to give it to Link. Also, I think that she created the Crimson Loftwing to help the Hero in his quest, so it's why it would appear on the shield and on the crest at the Temple of Time.

Ah, thank you!
I always thought that the Crimson Loftwing adorned the Hylian Sheild after the establishment of the Kingdom-- I was confused when I found that the shield had it already.
This explains so much!

The French name for the Hylian Shield is "Bouclier d'Hylia", which means Hylia's Shield. Plus, Hylia's Crest, a.k.a. the Goddess Crest, is the same bird that the one on the shield. Hylia could have made this shield for the Hero, have given it to Lanayru in order for him to give it to Link. Also, I think that she created the Crimson Loftwing to help the Hero in his quest, so it's why it would appear on the shield and on the "statue" at the Temple of Time.

*applauds* Good eye... I've never thought of this, rather, I thought a bit differently than this... I thought it had to do with the establishment of the kingdom of Hyrule, like Ochi-sama above...

G

Goddess Sword

*applauds* Good eye... I've never thought of this, rather, I thought a bit differently than this... I thought it had to do with the establishment of the kingdom of Hyrule, like Ochi-sama above...

It's how I see it, maybe I'm completely wrong, but the fact that the shield is indestructible hints that it is from divine origin.

There's still one thing that contradicts my theory: Gaepora says that the crimson Loftwings were an extinct species, so maybe the Crimson Loftwing is just a normal crimson Loftwing blessed by Hylia to help to Hero. It's why it would be her crest, engraved on her shield.

Sir Analog

Hope Rides Alone
it isn´t a loftwing, because there were no loftwings in the wartime I guess and the hylian shield is very old
I'm trying to understand what war you're talking about. If you mean the one with Hylia and Demise, then I understand, but there was no indication that the shield was used then. If you're talking about the Hyrule Unification War, then that's decades after Skyward Sword.

It has been confirmed in the Historia that the Royal Crest is the combination of Hylia's symbol and the Loftbird, and since it is this symbol that is used on the Hylian Shield, we have the origin for the symbol on the shield, too!

(This might be odd since this symbol was featured on the Hylian Shield in SS long before the Hylian Kingdom was established.)

EDIT: Here is the actual translation:

Crest of the Royal Family

Because Goddess Hylia’s crest was in the shape of a bird, and people once rode giant birds in Skyloft, the Royal Family’s crest is a combination of the Triforce and a bird.

Translated by ShiKage, FamiliarStranger, and SnowBrigadier, posted on glitterberri.com

/Blue Window

Last edited:

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Before release, I thought for sure this would be the case. But, now, I'm sure it isn't. The Hylian Shield was given to Link by the Thunder Dragon, which means he'd had it long before Link was born. It's not highly logical to say it's from Link's Loftwing since this is the case.

Never mind. I didn't see Blue Window's post before I said the above.

P

piraka12

the bird sign is the sign of the hylia and the academy and you ad the try force and t\you got the crest and because it is the sign of the knight academy it has to be loftwing

Wow I never noticed that. What else would it be though? I was hoping for a story behind the shield in SS rather than just a reward for defeating bosses. Oh well.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
I thought the red bird on the emblem was a Loft Wing but what confused me was how the same bird symbol appeared at the Temple of Time when Loft Wings hadn't been to the Surface, but Goddess Sword's theory makes a lot of sense to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom