• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Hunger and Thirst Meters

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Ohhhhhhhhh, no, my friend. That's not nearly enough. We still need MORE RPG mechanics (ESPECIALLY A SKILL TREE) and REFINEMENTS to the RPG mechanics introduced in Skyward Sword. Zelda ain't nowhere near done with this category.

A skill tree could possibly work for Zelda. But the series doesn't need to be loaded down with meters like hunger, thirst, when he needs a rest, or when he needs to brush his teeth even. The only gauge I want measuring Link's bodily processes in the Stamina Meter. That fit Skyward Sword just fine, although it shouldn't be included in every game hereafter. And also, no the RPG mechanics. Zelda isn't a Role-Playing Game, and I don't want it to become one.

Dark Cloud for the PS2 instantly comes to mind when I thought of this. From the top of my head I don't remember a hunger gauge but there definitely was a Thirst gauge. from what I remember of the mechanic, It didn't really bother me too much since you could go on for quite a bit before you get thirsty and there were some places where you could stock up with water, but I think if you didn't quench your thirst, you dehydrated and was sent back to the very beginning again. this can get pretty annoying if you traversed quite far in the cave, despite that all that is expected of you is to explore the cave with little to no task.

When It comes to Zelda, I don't think it will make it a challenge, I think it would make it an nuisance. Some places like a Water Temple would pretty much make thirst redundant, and it would be very annoying if you are near the end of a Temple and you collapse due to De-hydration or hunger. Plus you are wasting bottles on something insufficient that could be used for something better like fairies, Potions etc. Actually thinking about it Potions are pretty much the drinks of the Zelda universe except they don't curse the player with reality.

Overall I disagree with the idea of a Hunger and thirst Gauge. it doesn't bring a challenge, it brings an unnecessary nuisance. All it does is make the game more realistic which is kind of a problem because Games generally aren't supposed to be realistic.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
*Having not read responses*

That could be interesting if you had a hunting and gathering option - special wildlife that could be shot with a bow or dispatched with a sword that became food. How it could go could depend upon the seriousnessness of the game: a Twilight Princess "grit" style game would have you hunting squirrels, rabbits and deer - type creatures. A Toon Link adventure might have you setting your sword to walking sandwich-monsters.

I'm not sure I'd like it at all, though as metered, a necessity. It's already kind of annoying to have to spend all my rupees on potions sometimes when I'm trying to earn enough for a special item. Food would be over the top. From what I did skim of this thread, people already talked of the Skyward Sword stamina meter. Personally, I found it kind of annoying. It was great in-concept because my very favorite game outside of the Zelda series has something similar as a vital part of the gameplay - and it works exceptionally well in that game, but its implementation in Skyward made Link rather... *weak.* It ran out too soon and a lot of the areas where he had to use climbing or running stamina felt like they were made with contrived difficulty.

I do like the idea of food being more important in the series. The foods we've seen - milk, pumpkin soup and the like are really cute additions to the games, but I think what I'd like to see is something like an option for Link to order a meal at an inn, different foods with different prices - a cheap sandwich gives him a three heart refill, a fish n ' chips platter gives him a five heart, etc. All the way to a steak dinner or something that gives an all heart fill - but it's something for him to do at an inn, like the healing properties of beds in Skyloft in Skyward Sword. I'd like to see food as an option, but not a metered "you will have issues out in the field" thing. Technically, if that were the case, he should be having issues holding his bow and sword after getting standard injuries.

The water thing - I can see that as a very specific sidequest run or a "get to the temple" quest. Link is given water and told that the game's desert-temple is some miles ahead. Once he steps into the desert, he has a "water meter" to gauge how much he is drinking as he wanders across the burning desert. If he runs out, he starts losing a bit of life (kind of like the Temple of the Ocean King in Phantom Hourglass when the Hourglass is empty). He gets to the temple and is safe and hitting a switch at the temple entrace releases oasis floodgates so the dry rivers he wandered past are filled, meaning "there is water there" and he doesn't have to do the water-gauge trek again. You know, a one-time thing.

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
No.... next thing we'll have is the "poop" meter, it would be so awkward having to "go" in the middle of an epic boss fight...
No way...too awkward. Not even the grittiest m rated games do that. I'm reminded of a comic I saw one time that I probably couldnt find if I tried. The artist was playing TP and had to go to the bathroom as soon as she got into the boss room, so she made a comic about what if that was real life. Link was all: "I can't go while you're watching me" to Diababa :lol:

Anyway, I like the idea how it was outlined in the op, but I would add other effects. Like maybe everything heals health and/or magic, meat makes your attacks stronger for a little bit, etc. Hunting sounds awesome. Why not gathering too? You could get food in the wild, or from farmers' fields. Maybe the farmers act like shopkeepers, they each have different prices for their crops, and you can steal from them at your own risk. Like the shopkeeper in LA that kills you for shoplifting, or Trill in TP who calls you a thief and attacks you.

Edit- Oh those are some interesting points Shadsie. I like the desert water idea...but sandwich monsters? Wtf lol.

Last edited:

Draymorath

Destroyer of Destruction
Eh, it sounds like a real hassle. I wouldn't want to have to worry about something like this all the time. It would kinda get in the way of exploration and dungeon-play. If there's something I've learned from playing Sims for the DS, it's that too many meters too worry about makes a game very un-enjoyable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom