• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Hunger and Thirst Meters

Well, hey... look at the bright side, at least this idea will finally get those reality-obsessed fans to shut the heck up about why Link is never seen eating or drinking in-game...

Well, hey... look at the bright side, at least this idea will finally get those reality-obsessed fans to shut the heck up about why Link is never seen eating or drinking in-game...

Yeah, but hopefully they don't take HatredHazard's comment and give Link a Bowel Meter, too. I'm all for a little more gritty reality in my Zelda, but I'm not taking Link behind the tree.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
It may be better if this is all relegated to a sub-game, like the one I mentioned in the "Teleportation - Yay or Nay?" thread. Something where you're not allowed to teleport and you must keep up with increasingly difficult odds, which could include growing hunger and thirst. This would be a tactical mode placed outside the main game, so casual players wouldn't find themselves burdened with giving Link food and water.
This I can handle. Having a kind of repeatable minigame for rewards that involves hunger, thirst, stealth, and combat (think like an extremely advanced Silent Realm) would be perfect, but of course the majority of fans would gripe if this were somehow part of main-game. I don't know what to call it, but I'd hate for this to be in a "spinoff" (jeez I hate spinoff...such a silly term). It's a great idea but it'd kill too many fans' supposed perception of what is Zelda and what is not.

:brow:

Yeah, but hopefully they don't take HatredHazard's comment and give Link a Bowel Meter, too. I'm all for a little more gritty reality in my Zelda, but I'm not taking Link behind the tree.
Well...they gave Link a toilet/stump to sit on in Skyward Sword, so why not go the extra mile? :brow:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Because humor =/= good game mechanic.

Correction: humor =/= good game mechanic automatically. They could theoretically make humor out of hunger, bowels and thirst, and still make it a functioning game mechanic. :)

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
No thank you. I would rather have Zelda be free of the restrictions that realism would place on the series, by forcing us to eat of drink to replenish Link's health. Zelda has done an outstanding job without realism; no need to add on anything that threatens to extirpate the roots of the franchise formula. Besides, Skyward Sword already introduced a lot of RPG elements, such as item upgrades and a stamina meter. I think that's enough.

A Link In Time

To Overcome Harder Challenges
ZD Legend
The stamina and shield meters already introduced a degree of realism to the franchise but there is a fine line between reality and the virtual world. For example, in Far Cry 2 weapons jammed which while modeling real life guns detracted from the overall experience by surprising even the most skilled players at the most inopportune moments. Additionally, fans may not welcome such a drastic change to the formula so far in the franchise's lifespan.

I would love to see a fantasy-adventure game that incorporated these features, with the hero adventuring across a massive open world and being forced to hunt and/or carry supplies. I'm just not sure Zelda is the right franchise for it. On the one hand, I can just see Link, alone in the wilds of Hyrule, taking down a deer with a bow shot and making camp for the night. On the other hand, I can't see Nintendo going in for the graphic nature of such acts, or being willing to show their hero as killing anything other than decidedly evil beings.

The solution might lie in the fact that, as a series, Zelda is rife with opportunities for spinoff games, which Nintendo has largely not explored. Incorporating these elements into a more challenging, morally greyer spinoff without the LoZ name (perhaps even making Link--gasp--truly the title character) would be a very exciting prospect.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Besides, Skyward Sword already introduced a lot of RPG elements, such as item upgrades and a stamina meter. I think that's enough.

Ohhhhhhhhh, no, my friend. That's not nearly enough. We still need MORE RPG mechanics (ESPECIALLY A SKILL TREE) and REFINEMENTS to the RPG mechanics introduced in Skyward Sword. Zelda ain't nowhere near done with this category.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Ohhhhhhhhh, no, my friend. That's not nearly enough. We still need MORE RPG mechanics (ESPECIALLY A SKILL TREE) and REFINEMENTS to the RPG mechanics introduced in Skyward Sword. Zelda ain't nowhere near done with this category.

...Ummmm...why? Zelda isn't an RPG to begin with. Maybe Paper Mario, but not Zelda.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I like the concept of this idea...

If you haven't played Fallout New Vegas, there is a great but really tough Hunger and thirst system called hardcore mode! It's an optional feature and the game actually recommend not to use it haha! However a game like Fallout is suited to this idea as its all about survival...I just never get the feeling in a Zelda game that it's about survival, so generally I would say no to this idea but if a timed down version was put in I would definitely like to see it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom