• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How The Series Adapted With The DS

Some other drastic changes I would like to point out after putting more time into the game would be the lack of bottles. 4 Chu Jellies, or 4 Potions, or even 4 fairies were always good to keep on hand in TP. (I mention TP because it's the most recent Zelda game I've played before I picked up PH)

I also do not know if I really like the Bow adaptation. The Bow tends to be my favorite weapon ever. After putting some time into the Shooting Range, I decided I didn't really like it too much in PH. But maybe that's just because I suck. I managed to beat the High Score, but 2k for the Heart Container? It's just going to lead to more frustration.

I completed that game with no shield, no game overs in two days, counting school and sleep, so yeah, Nintendo needs more of a challenge. And Tetra may have been in it, but neither Zelda nor the Triforce were mentioned, except in the introduction and on the red door in the Temple of the Ocean King. It was a good game and all, but I feel it was missing a major thing that needs to be in every zelda game, Zelda herself...

I completed that game with no shield, no game overs in two days, counting school and sleep, so yeah, Nintendo needs more of a challenge. And Tetra may have been in it, but neither Zelda nor the Triforce were mentioned, except in the introduction and on the red door in the Temple of the Ocean King. It was a good game and all, but I feel it was missing a major thing that needs to be in every zelda game, Zelda herself...
Zelda was mentioned. Maybe you have forgotten, but Tetra is Zelda in the WW and PH games. In the beginning of the game her pirate crew refer to her as Zelda and she becomes angry and tells them that Tetra is just fine...

As for the Triforce, it's also in the Temple of the Ocean King. I can't recall exactly which floor, but at one point, you have to put the triangle gems into it. PH was a sequel. Everything was basically discovered in WW and therefore is no longer a mystery. Such as the Triforce and Zelda.

On another note, I would like to mention something else. As far as I can see (I'm currently on the Ghost Ship after the Temple of Courage), there is no way to heal Link other than potions, which have to be bought, or finding hearts after slaying enemies or breaking pots and rocks. This makes me really miss bottles!

Last edited:

Link Master

The Hero's Master
I really think this game was really good for all the things you actually have to go rubbing, blowing, maps, pressing the spirit thing onto the map see there were a lot. I liked the idea of having Tetra kidnapped not Tetra as Zelda. I also liked the final boss for those of you who have not finished I will not say.

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
Well honestly it was one of my least favorite Zeldas ever although because the gameplay was so perfected I have played through it several times. It could've been better and honestly I hope ST is better in terms of length and story but that's getting off topic. All in all the gameplay for the DS was absolutely perfect. I love it and there is nothing I would change about it........although then again I would change the sailing to what it was in WW but that's just me.

N

Notorious NATE

Phantom Hourglass is my favorite LoZ title I have played (I own TP, MC and ALttP). I really liked the graphics, the storyline, and just the overall game play. It really kept me interested and that's what I look for when purchasing a video game.

Like others however, I eventually became tired of the continuous dungeon in which you need to get to a certain point in a certain amount of time. There is no creativity in that whatsoever.

But I loved the bosses. I liked the dragons and that one lizard in which you needed to put a Bombchu in it's mouth. I thought that was cool. Props to the designers who thought of that.

I would give it a solid 9/10. It was a very, very enjoyable game.

DCMN

Hero of Internet
I thought the controls were perfect, probably the best adaption of a series to DS ever. The story was interesting, not quite an epic, and maybe the real villian was introduced too late, but it wasn't terrible. The music's OK, but some tracks are repeated to death, and the Temple of the Ocean King would of been OK if done in one whole go at once. Linebeck and Cielia were great companions and the AI wer cool too. Overal, its a great game, people say its a bad Zelda, but I still love it to bits.

Anubis

The most inactive active
I loved how Nintendo had used all of the DS features into the game. You would think that moving around with a stylus would be hard but you get used to it.

I agree that PH is too short. The dungeons were way easy and short. I have finished the first 3 dungeons between 5-15 minutes!
5-15 minutes?! I dont believe you.. I mean you have to use the boat and talk with everyone and ****! (Atleast what I remember..) Still you must have used some glitches to do that, eh? Please tell me! :P

As a Windwaker fan I was very disappointed in Phantom Hourglass.
Sure it took advantage of the DS's features, but a lot of the game's puzzles felt the same to me. A lot of the games dungeons had the same gimmick(you wrote down notes on the map using the stylus, and you later used those notes to solve a puzzle later on in the dungeon). After the second dungeon, you pretty much knew what to expect from the rest of the dungeons.
It felt more like a DS game that just happened to have Zelda characters in it then a real Zelda game.

I haven't played it, but I do have the ds and plan on buying this game eventually. From what i heard, its more for the new generation, not for the old diehards, but is overall a good game, but way too short.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom