• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Having a Big Bad Ensemble Instead of Just One Big Bad

Some people say that the Zelda series could use a change or two to the formula. While I'm happy with how things are now, I wouldn't mind some change myself. One idea that has spun around in my head is a Big Bad Ensemble, in other words: having two or more villains who are not working together most of the time, making them rivals or just acquaintances or something like that.

Let's say that Nintendo does decide to go this route and have a game that has at least two dueling enemies, both wanting to take over Hyrule but for different reasons and using different methods. Would this be an excellent idea (The option of defeating one villain at a time) or a bad idea (Getting confusing)?

I'd love to see two seperate villains who both not only oppose Link, but also oppose each other. We've had the whole "Villain who you see most of the game turns out to be a servant to the main villain" twice now, in both Skyward Sword (though Ghirahim speaks quite often of a "demon king", hinting that he's only seeking to revive his master) and, more notably, in Twilight Princess.

Having two real villains at the same time would be very cool to see. I'm not sure which villains, or what the story would be like, but I'll leave that one up to Nintendo and go wait for this to happen.

While the idea of ensemble works in some instances, I feel that it would not work well in the LoZ universe. My main point of reasoning behind this is that most villains in Zelda are ego-maniacal and wouldn't put up with competition. They would view the other villain as an enemy just the same as Link. Most villains are in Zelda are out for complete conquest/power or complete destruction and I doubt they could co-exist and share their rewards with another being.I think the closest we will get to this is FSA where we see both Vaati and Ganon. While the idea of a multi-main villain seems exciting I personally cannot see it working well for Zelda.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
The idea works in all fronts except for the idea of taking on one boss at a time. That's essentially repeating what we've already done thus far; Zant then Ganondorf, Ghirahim then Demise. What if we took on two bosses at the same time? Despite their differences and mutual hatred for each other, two SMART villains would pair up and take on the phantom green menace, Link, THEN proceed to finish each other off.

It depends on how the fights would play out in the end. It's a tad anti-climactic if both villains are of equal power in the end. I like to have a Big Bad that completely dominates over all other villains, but the ensemble thing could work if done well.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
It could only work with more playful villains such as Ghirahim and one other new villain who are similar in power. Ganondorf would not put up with competition he'd obliterate it and is far to much of an egotist to allow a rival. That would be the same with other Demon King/Ganon style villains. Whilst it could work, Nintendo would have to be careful not to have them as comic relief villains, there would have to be a serious plot line or else risk having a game not to be taken seriously.

Myriadviper42

Fulcrum Agent
An Organization XIII style group? I'd be all for it. Of course, in every group, there has to be someone who doesn't go along with it,like, say Marluxia. And it would be fun to see a lot of backstabbing and generally more human/oid bosses.

I think an interesting way to do it would be to have a character who fills the role of a guide or mentor (similar to Sheik in OoT) who points you in a certain direction and helps you along. In the end however it turns out this person has an ulterior motive and is only using you as a pawn to further their own goals and take down the other 'big bad' to get them out of the way for their own nefarious schemes.

Link could find himself trapped between a struggle between two great evils, an old and ancient war that he unwittingly becomes a part of. I think it could be a great plot turn in a Zelda series. You think you are doing all these great deeds only to find out you are perpetuating the problem. Would be an awesome 'mind=blown' moment for the series.

Last edited:

The Jade Fist

Kung Fu Master
While the idea of ensemble works in some instances, I feel that it would not work well in the LoZ universe. My main point of reasoning behind this is that most villains in Zelda are ego-maniacal and wouldn't put up with competition. They would view the other villain as an enemy just the same as Link. Most villains are in Zelda are out for complete conquest/power or complete destruction and I doubt they could co-exist and share their rewards with another being.I think the closest we will get to this is FSA where we see both Vaati and Ganon. While the idea of a multi-main villain seems exciting I personally cannot see it working well for Zelda.
A story i'm writing kinda follows the 2 villans set up. And they do not co-exsist well. Now how this would translate into a game is another thing, i see no reason you can't have 2 enemies that are fighting each other as well, as long as Link's goals are clear, the defense of his home for instance.

Another set up could also be a duo or a couple that are trying to take over everything and dont' really hate each other. Twinrova for instance, the 2 witches. On a second play thru in the oracle games infact they were the main enemies.

Either co-operative with each other or as rivals there is no reason it can't work. Not every villain has to be super class A dbag egotistical destroy/conquer the world villain. They could be an equally valid threats as class B dbags.

The idea works in all fronts except for the idea of taking on one boss at a time. That's essentially repeating what we've already done thus far; Zant then Ganondorf, Ghirahim then Demise. What if we took on two bosses at the same time? Despite their differences and mutual hatred for each other, two SMART villains would pair up and take on the phantom green menace, Link, THEN proceed to finish each other off.

Why not a 3 way show down where you have 2 Bosses trying to fight each other and Link at the same time, it'd be interesting, as long as they coudlnt' be exploited to ignore Link too much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom