• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Has Link ever talked in a game? Would you want him to?

*M i d n a*

Æsir Scribe
I have played at least five Zelda-related games, (WW, SS, OoT, PotH, HW), and currently playing through Minish Cap and Twilight Princess. I was just wondering if Link has ever spoken in other games, (full phrases, not just some word) I don't remember if he does in the ones I played. For the most part, he's a silent warrior and just shouts and screams when fighting. And the other question, I believe the gaming industry to be quite advanced by now, so I don't get why LoZ creators don't make Link talk, just like other major characters do so in scenes. I was watching the new game intro the other day and he still seems to be a mute when Zelda is doing all the talking and asking him questions, which made me shake my head in disapproval. I guess the LoZ creators decided to just roll on with having Link as it has always been, the classic silent type. Would you prefer if Link talked in the new games or do you stick to classic Link?

If a similar thread with asked questions has been posted, just close this thread.

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
I take it you don't count the CDI games? XD

But seriously though, why does he need to talk? Why can't he stay silent? It's not like it's an automatic improvement just because a character talks. Having higher resolution, more polygons, better sound quality, higher FPS etc. are all technological improvements that should be getting better with time. Adding dialogue/voice acting, using a certain artstyle or choosing between chiptune, MIDI or orchestrated music are all choices that depends on the game. Neither one is better than any of the others in any way (that'd be subjective of course), they're all just artistic choices.

So why is there such a demand from certain people that Link should talk? I think it's great that we can have different types of games with different types of characters. There are so many other great games out there where the main character talks, so why can't we have one where they don't?

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
both SS and LBW have him doing hand gestures while explaining to characters what's going on, so while we're not getting dialogue boxes, he most definitely can talk, plus SS had those dialogue choices

I don't really lean one way or the other about him talking or not, I guess it'd be nice if he did but I wouldn't complain or anything if he continues to be silent

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
He has never talked to anything meaningful extent outside of one or two lines in Zelda 2 and the "come on" call-out in Wind Waker. My issue isn't the dialogue, but that him being silent somehow makes him a better "player avatar". It doesn't improve my immersion of Link just stands there drooling on his own shoulder.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
He's never really spoken beyond the basic vocalizations like've already been mentioned, and the implied dialogue in games like SS.

That said, I'm not opposed or in favor of him speaking or staying quiet, per se. There's ways to give characterization to even silent protagonists, but Nintendo refuses to do even that for the most part. I certainly wouldn't mind them taking a crack at voicing him fully for the first time.

*M i d n a*

Æsir Scribe
Oh yeah, I had surely forgotten that he calls out "Come on!" in WW. Still, in a future game I wouldn't mind and it would be nice to have a full voice-over Link, but perhaps some players would find that odd or at least have a hard time adjusting from going to classic Link to full voice over Link.

I’m fine with the dialogue choice’s we’re given in the more recent games. If he talked as much as any other character, well…I’d rather they just commit to making a fully realized character named something else, then.

KTep

Picori_Kev1n
Link actually talks. Most Zelda games have a talk button

By pressing A or R (In Minish Cap), he speaks to anyone even though he doesn’t have a dialogue

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Link actually talks. Most Zelda games have a talk button

By pressing A or R (In Minish Cap), he speaks to anyone even though he doesn’t have a dialogue
I think the conceit of the thread is about whether or not people would like Link to have visible lines of dialogue, not just if he can press a button to engage in conversation.

Last edited:

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
O like them mute cuz i like to imagine a voice for them....like ss link is very perky and funish then st link is a child...

I think without link talking, it adds more of an element to the game. If Link could talk, the Zelda series would not be what it is now.

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
I don't have a problem with Link staying silent since in most games he doesn't have to, his speech is implied. When Darunia says "Was there something you wanted to ask me about? What? You want the Spiritual Stone of Fire, too?" you dont exactly need a text box to know what Link was saying. It saves time and keeps thing from getting redundant. The only time I do want him to talk though is in games like BotW and TotK where we have full cutscenes. Them explaining it away in Zelda's diary it doesn't stop the conversations with him in cutscenes from being clunky and awkward. If his silence is actively detracting from the game, make him talk. Don't stand by some forced tradition.

If Link ever were to speak it'd be funny to see the reactions of fan artists/writers who have him doing sign language lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom