• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Happy Meal Cost 28 Rupees?

Recently, game informer did a video game currency conversion. They took an item you could buy in a video game and compared it to real life, did the math and got a currency conversion ration. For instance, In donkey kong country returns, A banana juice costs 20 banana coins. In real life, a Jamba juice banana berry smoothie with an energy booster cost $3.85. They did the math and found that one dollar is equal to $5.19 banana coins. This means you would need 40 banana coins if you wanted to see a movie.

They also did a rupee conversion, In Zelda Ocarina of time, a bottle of lon lon milk costs ten rupees, In real life a standard bottle of cows milk costs about $1.12. This means $1 is equal to 8.93
rupees and it would cost 28 rupees to buy a happy meal.

Using this formula I found that:
a good game would cost 446.60 rupees
a car would cost 178,600 rupees
an ipod shuffle would cost 446.50 rupees
a nintendo DS lite would cost 1250.20 rupees
a gumball would cost 2.23 rupees

Post your own conversions in the comments

Clash

Super Melee Brawler
I think the conversion would be different depending on what you compare... I mean, a metal shield costs 80 rupees, for Nayru's sake! Obviously it's worth more than a DS Lite!

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Actually, metal shields do cost quite a bit in real life. I don't know the exact figures, but a Master Sword + Hylian Shield replica at a mall I went to recently cost about $50. Granted that ingame, the MS has no price, I would assume the price in real life constitutes only the shield. $50/80 is something like .625, one USD is about 62.5 percent of a rupee in that case.

ZeldaOcarina

Princess of Hyrule
Well, a bottle of milk is easier to compare than a metal shield in general. Depending on the type of metal and such. Also, once you decide to compare the in-game Hylian shield to a cosplay Hylian shield... well, like I said, milk is a much easier comparison.

And, personally, I wouldn't mind if this were true, at least if rupees were as widely available as they are in the game. If, of course, we didn't have wallet limits as in the game.
As for my conversions:

A Nintendo 3DS: 1,518 rupees. We would need to win the OOT Bombchu game about 76 times to afford one (winning a purple rupee, which is worth fifty rupees, subtracting the cost of the game at 30 rupees, means twenty rupee profit; divide the cost of the 3DS by that, and you get about 76 wins).
Skyward Sword Gold edition: 625 rupees. You would need to collect 13 poes in OOT to afford this. Worth it? (I think so! :))
A Wii to play it on: 1,205 rupees. That's a lot of chests to open.
A TV for the Wii to connect to: 3,304 rupees. (I used a the first TV that come up on Walmart.com search for TVs. It's forty inches, so not too bad.)

Overall... us poor Zelda fans. Who knows how hard it would be to find a wallet that could carry that much! D:

blubb

Ash Gala Wonderful!
While I really like the idea of calculating some sort of "exchange rates" between real life and video game currencies, I also think that this here is a bit flawed. For example if you take milk, then you'll get a very high exchange rate (more rupees per dollar/euro...) If we take that exchange rate of 8.93 rupees/$ then other things in the Zelda series would be really cheap. For example 50 rupees for 10 bombs (this is just an estimate, I'm too lazy to look it up). This would equal 56 ct. for a bomb, nowhere in the real world could you buy a bomb for such a low price (I'm not talking of nuclear bombs but of those which can blow up some rocks, so maybe 1kg of TNT?). I don't know the exact price for bombs in RL so I'm not calculating anything here.
A counter-example would be the bait from the original LoZ. The bait there costs 100 rupees, which merely consists of a single bone with some meat on it, maybe worth 50ct. This would give us an exchange rate of 200 rupees/$, making the bombs from above even cheaper (2.5ct for a bomb!)
Or a candle for 60 rupees which would give us a similar exchange rate (but then again, LoZ is rather at the end of the timeline, so maybe they just had a lot of inflation since OoT? :D)
And finally, the most extreme example of inflation in the economy of Hyrule: A bottle in aLttP costs 100 rupees, while the real life bottle deposit value here is 8 euro cents. This makes as much as 1,250 rupees/€ (yeah, I can haz bombs now for 0.4 euro cents!)
(Hey, I'm starting to realize that this makes a lot of fun!)
A fish in OoT: 200 rupees, a canned mackarel here: 0.59€ => 339 rupees/€
A land title deed in MM (last Deku scrub): 200 rupees, a decent land property where I live (1000m²@350€/m²): 350,000€ => 0.00057 rupees/€ or 1,750€/rupee :O
So you can see that the most extreme exchange rates differ from each other by the factor ~2 million, that's a lot of fluctuation.

Last edited:

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
Um, actually the most you can get in PH and ST is 9999 rupees.

And you can save up to 6000 in WW.
Correction: 5000 in WW.

Here's a table from Zelda Wiki:
The Legend of Zelda  255
The Adventure of Link  N/A
A Link to the Past  999
Link's Awakening  999
Ocarina of Time  500
Majora's Mask  5,999 (500 in wallet and 5,499 in the Bank)
Oracle of Ages  999
Oracle of Seasons  999
Four Swords  99,999
The Wind Waker  5,000
Four Swords Adventures  9,999 (Force Gems)
The Minish Cap  999
Twilight Princess  1,000
Phantom Hourglass  9,999
Spirit Tracks  9,999

Katelynn

Flirtatously Flirty
but u wont have PH and ST, because you wouldnt be able to afford the DS!

Actually, A DS would only cost 1250.20 rupees. There-fore, in both occasions, you'd still have enough to get a DS. (not sure about a 3DS though)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom