• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Guardians: Badass or *******s?

DarkLink7

I make my own fate!
Okay, so in Skyward Sword, in the Silent Realms, there are the Guardians. Impossible to kill and deliver a one-hit KO. When I first saw them, i was like "OMG THOSE THINGS ARE COOL!" Then I touched Waking Water in the Lanayru Silent Realm and I was like :mad:

Dan

They are quite cool, although I always drink orange juice when dealing with these little bone pickers. So badass for me

They have some decent designs, i wanted to break them up and wear them as armour, which would have been cool. They didn't give me that much trouble either, I had to repeat the Sliding section of Eldin while trying to hit one tear three times with them all chasing me and they never got me, harmless fools. They were cool i just didn't like the rules of engagement.

Amazing beings to behold. The Earth Watchers reminded me of the Iron Knuckles and Darknuts of series past, due to the way they handled their large, intimidating weaponry. The Sky Watchers were the creepiest enemies in the entire game, in my opinion, as their menacing features scythe-like appendages resembled those of the Grim Reaper himself. The music really set the mood for their pursuit of Link, making the Guardians all the more terrifying, and the overall feeling of the Silent Realm all the more unnerving...

fi said:
"If a Guardian manages to land even a single hit on you, your spirit will shatter and you will fail the trial."

Fi (Skyward Sword)​

*Shutters...

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
I thought they were pretty intimidating until I found out that I can run faster than them...

Let me tell you, sprinting all the way across Lanayru Desert with five Guardians chasing you is thrilling in the moment, but not getting caught is ironically disappointing.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I would describe them as intimidating, adrenaline-building creatures and nothing more at first glance, but at a second glance, I'd just call them adrenaline-building creatures. Like Locke said, being chased around by them is thrilling but they can't -ever- catch up with you if you're playing objective so in a way, they're disappointing creatures.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I thought they were pretty intimidating until I found out that I can run faster than them...

Let me tell you, sprinting all the way across Lanayru Desert with five Guardians chasing you is thrilling in the moment, but not getting caught is ironically disappointing.

I would describe them as intimidating, adrenaline-building creatures and nothing more at first glance, but at a second glance, I'd just call them adrenaline-building creatures. Like Locke said, being chased around by them is thrilling but they can't -ever- catch up with you if you're playing objective so in a way, they're disappointing creatures.

I don't understand the big deal. If they could run as move as fast as Link, there'd be virtually no way of escaping. Bear in mind that there are two kinds of Guardians. The ones that float and can travel through walls -- and see Link no matter where he is -- and the ones that chase Link on foot upon seeing him. If you're in the wrong spot at the wrong time, especially if you wear your stamina out, you're probably going to wind up being hit. It's all about strategically maneuvering around the terrain after being caught so that you don't wind up running into one of them. And it's not exactly insanely easy.

Ganondork

goo
200px-Guardian-Earth-SS.png
Guardians are among one of my favorite enemies throughout the entire Legend of Zelda series. I have seen them as one of the greatest enemies that I've ever engaged in most of my gaming experience as well. My thoughts on them go beyond the level of fascination towards near obsession. They are no doubt the small hole that allows sunlight in on the sad experience I had with Skyward Sword.

A lot of factors have contributed to this fascination in this species. Anatomically, they are an armor-clad group that make me wonder if Link could possibly best them, even when armed with the Master Sword. The Guardians that travel on foot boast powerful weapons, and the gliding ones - my favorite of the two - boast great speed. The watchers are interesting creatures that add a hint of stealth to an otherwise simplistic Silent Realm. Sure, a time limit before the Guardians awaken can add stress to plenty of players, but the prospect of a watcher lurking around the corner adds a hint of caution with each step.

The most interesting thing is their creation. Tools of the Goddess, you have to wonder if they ever fought alongside their Creator. I like to think that they fought Demise and his Demon Horde until the bitter end. The surviving warriors of this group were sent to the Silent Realm to test the Hero that would save Hyrule and defeat Demise. It's interesting to imagine that they are the very thing that Link strove to be in Skyloft; a knight.

141px-Flying_Guardian.png
The flying guardians are easily my favorite of them all. Although not as heavily armed as their sentry counterparts, they boast a level of agility that rivals the Hero himself. To escape their grasp and find the next tear is quite an accomplishment. Link is faced by powerful creations by Hylia herself, and yet still prevails. No doubt the Goddess made sure that only the Hero could outwit and outrun these powerful beings.

The amount of things that one can wonder of them are all left to theory, as so little is known about them. They seem entirely composed of mechanisms, and yet I wonder if they contain some form of free will. Did they truly want this? I like to think that they decided to take on this job willingly, rather than being forced by Hylia to do it. It's better to imagine them being honored, rather than reluctantly submitting to Her Grace's demands.

sky%252Bwatcher%252Bpapercraft.jpg
The Watchers, although not my favorite, are the most intriguing. At least on an anatomic level. They look like nothing I have ever encountered before. And yet, they seem familiar. The best explanation is that the matter that forms their body seems a bit similar to that of the carpet in Aladdin. It seems a bit less decorative, naturally, but the way the carpet would fold forward in certain scenes definitely seems similar to that of this guardian watchdog. The lantern that they hold also remind me of the Poes from Twilight Princess.

One of the most interesting things about the Guardians is the fact that they create a feeling of suspense in the Silent Realm. It wouldn't be nearly as difficult if it simply had a time limit. The knowledge that there are a significant number of enemies waiting to make you fail the test is much more stressful than just having a time limit. A time limit won't surround you. A time limit won't force you to veer off from your course. A time limit is far more in your head - once the Guardians are awakened, you need to find the nearest Tear.

From all of this, one can easily infer that I am an enormous fan of the Guardians. They are to me what Darknuts and Stalfos are to many other Legend of Zelda fans. I think that they made my time in Skyward Sword a lot more enjoyable than had they not been in there. The Silent Realm as a whole would have been entirely lacking without them. I had been skeptical about the Silent Realm when I had first heard about the Guardians' presence in there, but now I couldn't imagine the Silent Realm without them.

MsNerrrrd

Demyx stole my cookies
First I thought them to be the most coolest and badass enemies in the Zelda history, but then I immediately changed my picture of them once the effection of the Sacred Tears worn out =_=... So frustrating, and their theme when they're chasing you, uhg, very stressfull.

univpark

Heart of Steel
THEY SCARE ME TO DEATH.

I was very stressed out on the first Silent Realm...I got all the tears, and then the time ran out...AND THERE WAS THIS THING FLYING AFTER ME

I thought I was going to have a heart attack.....

P

PokemonGanon

They scared me SO BADLY. My heart raced everytime I heard that creepy music whenever your time had run out on the Silent Realms...I almost screamed because of how creepy it was......

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
Oh, I'm pretty sure I've shouted "Oh, you ghost-*******!" at the screen a couple of times when caught by one of the sky-watchers.

I do like the Guardians' character designs, though, and having them as a one-hit KO is a nice challenge. But they're also *******s, most definitely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom