• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Great flood based off of Noah's ark?

linkman8

True and Noble
It seems unlikely. I mean, it could be possible that they had based some of it on the flood in the Bible, but I sort of doubt it. I mean, it's just a common idea they implemented into WW.

I'm sure it's possible, I mean, it states in game that the flood was "caused by the goddesses due to the Hylians actions.

In the story of the Ark, God flooded the earth in order to "cleanse" it. I think there is a large possibility that the goddesses were making an attempt to do the same.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe in a part of the game, it mentions how Ganon tried to corrupt the people of Hyrule in order to gain power, and thus the goddesses flooded the land.

As a side note, many other cultures have similar stories about floods. It could of been based off of any of them. Still, it makes you wonder.

octorok74

TETTAC
In the Great Flood of the Bible, every thing was submerged. In the Wind Waker the tops of tall mountains were above the water level. Although the Bible only takes place in the Middle East where there aren't many mountains, so it is possible that the game was based off of the flood.

Petman1325

Poe Catcher
It may be unassociated with the Bible, but the stories are similiar.
Bible: There were a bunch of non-believers/lazy people in the desert. God was really mad about this, and told Noah to build an arc, gather two of every animal (Male and Female), and wait. The others didn't believe him until their final destination came: He flooded the world. 40 days and 40 nights passed until the storms stopped. All the Nonbelievers had died in result of not believeing Noah. Noah sent out a bird to check on the status, and the bird brought sign of land. Then the earth eventually drained.
WindWaker: Ganon had the Triforce of Power and managed to break free from the Sacred Realm. The goddesses had come up with a final solution, to flood Hyrule, in order to save Hyrule. So, the goddesses told a few select people to go on the highest of mountains and wait for the storm to end. On Ganon's invasion of Hyrule Castle, the goddesses decided to flood Hyrule. Many people had died in the result of this, except for the believers that went up to the mountains. Only, the water didn't go down (Depending on what timeline you believe).
Simalarities were coated in Green.

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
Well its is an good idea. but i don 't think they based it from noah 's ark.

but there is one other thing.
I remember about a tale/myth/legend, about a lost underwater kingdom called atlantis.
I also remember that they where also made some movies about it, including disney.

Kybyrian

Very interesting theory you've got there.

I do see similarities between the two tales, but I'm not for sure if they based any of it off of Noah's Ark.

Eh. It could be. I mean it does have it's similarities. Same with Atlantis. I don't really know what to tell you.

Possibly, but it's not provable. I mean, it sure sounds alike. But if you say this is true, you could also say the entire Zelda plots are based off any stories/myths that sound like them, and I'm sure there are plenty.

Inflexus

ZDG's Prophet
I think very loosely, but there are other stories, like Atlantis(as Josh mentioned) that line more paralells.

You will oftentimes see history and legends and culture from real life mix into Zelda games. For instance, Gamelon is actually an indonesian choral music genre(if I recall properly).

Eh.
Zelda is more closely related to Norse Mythology than Bible Mythology.
valhalla.jpg

Petman1325

Poe Catcher
It could be based off of Atlantis. Only in the animated Disney film, only the one chosen by the gods was the one who really died, minus some people who couldn't get into the safehaven. In all other stories, Atlantis gets wiped out in one huge wave-No survivors. The flooding of Hyrule had some survivors in it, and they turned into Noah's four brothers and their wives and they repopulated the earth (That was Biblical).

Skull_Kid

Bugaboo!
I have to agree with Zeypher(you have great taste for games, so states your avatar).
Also, Noah's ark tale states that Noah saved at least examplars of each species, and i believe that the flooding of Hyrule by the Godessess eradicated some of them...

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
I have to agree with Zeypher(you have great taste for games, so states your avatar).
Also, Noah's ark tale states that Noah saved at least examplars of each species, and i believe that the flooding of Hyrule by the Godessess eradicated some of them...

I dunno sure about that its eradicated some of them.
All i know is that the goddeses sealed hyrule and the people took refuge to the high mountains.

But still,
Its kinda strange, i meam sure the flood can be based off noah 's ark or atlantis or other mythologies. There is one other thing you can connect to the bible with windwaker.

Ganondorf turned into stone.
Like in the story of Moses. The Pharaoh turned into stone and drowned with his army in the sea.

Its really freaky, is there really a connection or is it just coincidence?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom