• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Goddess of Time

Hylian Knight

Green Armored Menace
Adding more insight to Michael's PoV(point of view) maybe the this supposed goddess was their at the creation but had no significance in the Hylian creation legend so she was never mentioned which is why we only know of 3 goddesses.

Hylian Knight

Green Armored Menace
I think I get Hazel's saying. When the goddesses departed for the Heavens in the Great Deku Story they formed the Triforce which in turn fused all the goddesses together and they as one became the Goddess of Time.

Hazel

A Frog
@Hylian Knight + @Micheal Hiede

Exactly what I meant. Looking at everyone's reasons and seeing them state why each goddess should be the Time goddess, well, aren't the goddesses supposed to be you know, equally strong?Why not the goddesses fused?

I'm going to bring another argument in favor of Nayru being the goddess of time. :)

During the Great Deku Tree's explanation of the creation of Hyrule, he tells about what each of the goddesses did to contribute to the genesis. Din's role was to "With her strong flaming arms, she cultivated the land and created the red earth". I understand that Din created the mass of the world, basically everything that exists, with all it's elements. Then comes Nayru and she "Poured her wisdom onto the earth and gave the spirit of law to the world". Well, it simply seems that Nayru created the laws of physics of Hyrule. You know, things like gravity, electricity and, of course, time! :yes:

Eventually, comes Farore and "With her rich soul, produced all life forms who would uphold the law" created by Nayru! So Farore generated all living beings and gave them the breath of life. She gave them a soul. These creatures would live under the laws of nature created by Nayru.

G

GeneralBleck666

Not ANY of them...

My first guess would be nayru, concidering she is the oracle of ages, but that is the nayru from labrynna. if she is actually the goddess nayru then it probably is her, but labrynna nayru is just a person, not nessesarilly the goddess. so really, it is hard to say. my guess is that it is a totally different goddess that is only mentioned there for plot purposses.

Plus, celia is merly a spirit, not a goddess.:dry:

X

XTC

Why does the Goddess of Time have to be one of the 3 Goddesses of creation (or combination therefore, of)? I'm not sure where but I think (or possibly have heard) that there are many Goddesses. Goddess of Time/wind/sands/etc. The games hint or speak softly about many different Goddesses depending on the game and area (Hyrule/Termina/Dream worlds). If someone could find quotes that'd be awesome ;)

Michael Heide

The 8th Wise Man
Not counting dream worlds, I can only think of games that mention the three goddesses, plus Majora's Mask, where the turtle speaks of "the gods". On the other hand, that Turtle lives in Termina, not Hyrule. Perhaps the gods are just the Terminian counterparts of Nayru, Farore and Din.

If you can find quotes, I'm all ears. Because that really sounds intriguing.

X

XTC

After searching some text dumps I found that:

OoT:

Lord Jabu Jabu is referred to as a God: "Our guardian god, Lord Jabu-Jabu, would never eat my dear Princess Ruto!" But that doesn't say much because they're just beings on the planet and may not have access to all knowledge of the Gods.

They referred to the Spirit Temple as the "Goddess of the Sand" being a temple itself that probably doesn't count.

MM:

The Goddess of Time is called upon often by Termanian people's to save them and bring good harvest.

TWW:

The Wind God Cyclos is mentioned (but other theories bring about how it could relate to one of the Golden Goddesses)

The Earth God's Lyric is a song featured in The Wind Waker (I don't know anything about it [Farore?])

(I never played the game so I don't know who the character is, but I found the quote...) "The name's Zephos. I am the God of Winds"

At the Fairy Fountain Site

"This spot marks the remains of an ancient
fairy fountain. The legendary hero was said
to come here after battle so the fairies
could ease his weariness.
It was also said that whoever met with the
Great Fairy who lived here was blessed
with great fortune, so it came to be known
as the Fountain of the Fortune Goddess."

(I don't know if that means anything either because 'it came to be known as', So people decided upon it.)

PH:

A Goddess of Spirits is referred to; the context:

"I am the servant to the
goddess of spirits that
dwells in this spring...
I have been awaiting your
arrival...

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

To restore their power, you
must find Spirit Gems
scattered around the world.
Then you must bring them
here.

Power Gems for the
Spirit of Power.

Wisdom Gems for the Spirit
of Wisdom... Courage Gems
for the Spirit of Courage...
Collect these, and the
spirits will recover their
true power.
Then they will be of even
greater assistance to you
in your quest."

ST:

They refer to a Goddess of the Mountain [Din?].

That's all for now. I hope it's not too messed up or out of context.

dumb180

Warrior Postman
And another common mistake. The triforce origianally had 2 pieces and it was still called the triforce. this was before nintendo came up with the triforce of courage.

Is it not possible that the Goddess of Time is a distinct goddess without a corresponding piece of the Triforce? There are other "gods" in Hyrule, like Jabu Jabu. A fourth piece of the Triforce really messes with the current semantical perfection.

Michael Heide

The 8th Wise Man
Is it not possible that the Goddess of Time is a distinct goddess without a corresponding piece of the Triforce? There are other "gods" in Hyrule, like Jabu Jabu. A fourth piece of the Triforce really messes with the current semantical perfection.
While I agree that there could theoretically be more gods or goddesses out there, Jabu Jabu doesn't have to be one of them, even if he is revered as one. You don't have to be a god for people to think that you are one, after all.

Michael Heide

The 8th Wise Man
Jabu-Jabu was a guardian, like the Deku Tree, and Valoo, or that turtle in MM, they're deities, but they can die.
That's not what I meant. I meant that people worship lots of different things and persons like the sun, volcanos or even French novelist Victor Hugo (that's no joke, the Vietnamese Cao Đài actually worship Jesus, Buddha, Confucius and Victor Hugo). But that doesn't mean that Hugo is a god.

There's no reason to assume that it's different in Hyrule. Over here, we have the three Goddesses of the Triforce, widely considered to be actual deities that created the world and its inhabitants. We might also have other gods and goddesses, and we might have things and entities that are falsely worshipped as gods.

My guess is that Lord Jabu Jabu falls in the latter category.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom