• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time Give Up on It or Keep Going?

C

cherold

I'm a latecomer to Zelda as the first game I played in the series was Wind Waker, followed by Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword. Since I loved all of these, I thought I'd check out some of the older Zelda titles, and since I've often heard Ocarina of Time described as the best game in the series, I decided to check it out.

But so far - with apologies to its many, many fans - I'm just not feeling it. I don't hate it or anything, but I feel a little bored. I feel like all the gameplay is too familiar, and while I know that could be said of any Zelda game, and that it's not OoT's fault that the succeeding games copied it, my subjective feeling can be summed up with been there, done that.

I was hoping you Zelda folk could tell me if I'm just not far enough into the game to really get a feel for it, or if it's time to move onto something else. Right now I'm in the belly of a big fish. I just ran into the boss but then my girlfriend came over so I haven't had a chance to fight it yet.

In my experience Zelda games always start slow, and I expect to be bored for the first couple of hours, but I'm well past the two hour point. Is there stuff coming that is going to completely alter my view of OoT, or if I'm restless now is that restlessness likely to be permanent?

Thanks.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
It's natural that you're bored with OoT and that it feels like "same ol same ol". In all actuality, though, TWW, TP and SS are "same ol same ol" but it just depends on the order you played the games.

But anyway, I can't predict anything for you but I would suggest just setting the game down and leaving it alone. I'm not speaking for anyone here, but I know that many people get bored with the game as the child dungeons make their way through and the adult dungeons don't seem to do anything but frustrate. Besides, if you DON'T play OoT, it isn't like you're missing out on some grand adventure -- SS and TP more than make up for that.

So yeah, I suggest setting the game down. Perhaps come back to it in a month or two, but I cannot and will not guarantee that you will some how be invigorated to play and replay the game once you get to the Adult portion of the game.

You're in Jabu-Jabu's Belly, right? Through my experience, the game opens up tremendously after beating the dungeon and experiencing a plot twist (which you may or may not be familiar with at this juncture, as the twist is pretty well known). The first three dungeons in the game are all basically your generic starter dungeons to ease you into the idea. The world is also much more limited, and you're not given access to more than a small handful of items.

Everything from the fourth dungeon on expands on all you've done so far (or it always has for me). You gain more access to more items, dungeons take on a more "final" appearance which put your mind and combat skills to the test, and the story becomes far deeper. Basically, everything you experienced at first becomes ten times better. Truth told, I don't really "feel it" during the first three dungeons, either.

But then again, as I've mentioned on this board before, Ocarina of Time is the fifth Zelda game to be released and the first to feature 3D. It was absolutely groundbreaking and mind-blowing at the time, so some of the hype comes from its initial release. Ocarina of Time also didn't experiment around with drastically new ideas like sailing, turning into a wolf, or motion controls which altered the formula heavily. Ocarina of Time was the ultimate 3D rendition of the classic Zelda formula, no new bells and whistles aside from the revolution of three dimensions. This being the case, it's no wonder you'd feel it was "same ol' same ol'," as the three games in the series you've played have worked hard to differentiate themselves from Ocarina of Time.

Ventus and I aren't going to lambaste you for putting the game down, as it would probably be hard to not feel what you're feeling after going through the other 3D console games in the series and seeing how they separate themselves from the rest of the franchise. Ocarina of Time had no need to separate itself, as it was novel enough on its own. My suggestion is to beat Jabu-Jabu's Belly and keep playing through at least the next two or three dungeons, taking time to smell the flowers along the way. If you're still not feeling it, don't force yourself to play something you're not enjoying. The whole point of playing a video game in the first place is to enjoy it. Ultimately, the choice is up to you, but I recommend going on a bit further to see if the game still opens up for you as it did for me.

At any rate, welcome to Zelda Dungeon. We're glad to have you on board.

Ghirahimiscool

Cucco Butt
Keep goin, its worth it. The game is so fun. You'll regret it if you stop. The bosses get better too.

Hanyou

didn't build that
Ocarina of Time is, in my opinion, the definitive Zelda game. It's a good midway point between old and new Zelda, incorporating much of the best of the old while demonstrating some of the best of what was to come.

On that note, it is, in my opinion, significantly better than Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword, which both have too many weaknesses to be among the best Zelda games. Its world is more artfully-constructed, its exposition is more concise, not bogged down with pointless, empty characterization and cumbersome plot points. Best of all, it has less of the hand-holding that those games have. To an extent, you're allowed to do things in your own order, and get to know the world in your own way. This gives you a better sense of place, and makes each playthrough more exciting. Zelda games should emphasize discovery, and Ocarina does like none of its successors (barring, perhaps, The Wind Waker, which shares the weaknesses of the subsequent console Zeldas but more than makes up for it with its own unique elements).

After finishing the big fish, the game opens up, so I suggest you stick with it. Try to discover and explore the world yourself. If you've played later Zelda games, you're used to hand-holding, but Ocarina has less. Just play it for as long as you can, take in its atmosphere, and enjoy its quality design and pacing (two areas, again, where in my opinion it's far better than its successors). If you still end up disliking it, you're missing out, but it's ok. I don't particularly enjoy A Link to the Past, but acknowledge its quality and importance.

r2d93

Hero of the Stars
NO no no don't quit!

I too played multiple games before OoT. In fact i beat TP, WW, ALttP, and TMC before I played OoT. However, it didn't feel "same old same old", it just felt like the familiar Zelda format.

Remind yourself what game you're playing. Ocarina of Time. The highest rated video game in history. You really need to appreciate how insanely amazing and revolutionary this game was being that it came out in 1998. Plus it has one of the most iconic stories and iconic soundtracks in video game history. Of course, a lot of Zelda fans have childhood stories f playing OoT when it came out, and they have nostalgia for the game. Myself, I was only 3 when it came out, so I don't have those feelings. You just need to appreciate what this game did to videogames.

Plus, it gets SOOOOOO much better after the part you're at.

C

cherold

After the first reply I thought, maybe I'll check out the other Zelda game I have, Majora's Mask. It's phenomenal so far. It's the first Zelda game I've ever played that is immediately exciting, and a few hours in I absolutely love it. Since a lot of people suggest things will open up a lot after the fish section I probably will go back and try some more of OoT at some point, but for now it's MM all the way.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
After the first reply I thought, maybe I'll check out the other Zelda game I have, Majora's Mask. It's phenomenal so far. It's the first Zelda game I've ever played that is immediately exciting, and a few hours in I absolutely love it. Since a lot of people suggest things will open up a lot after the fish section I probably will go back and try some more of OoT at some point, but for now it's MM all the way.
Ooh, yeah I should've recommended you play MM. It's the other side of OoT; where OoT falls MM stands up and vice versa. MM doesn't have that epic feeling but things are very surreal. Conversely OoT does not have that surreal feeling but things are very epic (and cliche). OoT doesn't have the greatest character, MM does...OoT has greater number of dungeons than MM etc etc etc.

Now that I think about it, I do believe playing through MM will deepen your appreciation of OoT -- MM uses everything from OoT to become the grand masterpiece it is.

tysonrss

Keyblade Master
After the third dungeon it will get better.

But to say OoT is the best in the series would be an overstatement.

It is actually a very fun game! However, i'm sure it won't be your favorite. The reason most people consider it there favorite or "the best" zelda game, is because at it's time, it was the best game ever created. Now, things have moved on and gotten better and the game is nothing more than average. It's an enjoyable game, but don't get too excited.

Hanyou

didn't build that
It is actually a very fun game! However, i'm sure it won't be your favorite. The reason most people consider it there favorite or "the best" zelda game, is because at it's time, it was the best game ever created. Now, things have moved on and gotten better and the game is nothing more than average. It's an enjoyable game, but don't get too excited.

While Ocarina of Time was my first Zelda game, it's not just my favorite because it was my first. After all, Super Mario Galaxy wasn't my first Mario game by a long shot, nor was Sonic 3 & Knuckles my first Sonic game, nor was Donkey Kong Country 2 my first Donkey Kong game, etc... but those are my favorites in their series. No, Ocarina of Time is truly something special, and that accounts for its success and reputation.

I'd also strongly argue against the assertion that things have gotten better at all. Ocarina of Time offers so much that other Zelda games don't, with an atmosphere and narrative drive all its own. In what ways have Zelda games gotten better, anyway? Is being led by the nose through a series of dungeons and fetch quests better than what older games had to offer? How about an endless parade of 5-minute cutscenes that neither enrich the lore nor the shallow characters?

Ocarina of Time has plenty to offer anyone willing to look for it.

Link-of-Lylat

It's me!
Either way, you should give it a full play. It's worth it. Even if it is my 3rd favorite zelda.

Either way, you should give it a full play. It's worth it. Even if it is my 3rd favorite zelda and not in my top 15 games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom