• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Mafia Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raindrop14

Soldier for Christ!
Since finding replacements has become an issue in recent mafia games, I suggest we create a replacement pool. These would be dependable players who have shown commitment to past mafia games and would be willing to step in as substitutes at any time. This complements the proposed smaller game idea; this would lead to a better flow of players since someone who's willing to be a replacement is likely to be on at any given time.

I second this notion. The game I'm modding I've had to modkill four players (two each night!), and I'm still being forced to probably modkill two more this game night. It aint going well. :<

Musicfan

the shadow mage
Am I going to have to cut roles :( or will this apply to games further down the line. (the maximum player limit)

fused_shadows

Brave Knight of Truth
Am I going to have to cut roles :( or will this apply to games further down the line. (the maximum player limit)

I don't think it'd be fair to force you to cut roles from your game, especially since you've probably had these roles in for a long time. However, I do agree that all mods whose games are 6+ games done the queue should shuffle their setup to exclude some roles. They have plenty of time to do so, whereas someone like yourself, music, doesn't have much time to change things around.

Mido

Version 1
Like I said before, smaller games do not work well for some themes because they omit important characters necessary to create a logical structure.

I think this is where No-theme games have that sort of flexibility. I guess for all the games that are currently set up, they could edit if the mod so chooses, but otherwise, things could be kept the same.

All in all, it is the moderator's decision. :yes:

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
So, what you guys are saying is that the mods should suffer and remove roles because people who sign up aren't committed to the game?

I have a better solution! Only sign up for a game if you are going to play it.

*Poof* *Magic* *Logic* *Nose=Blown* *Reggie*

Libk

Spaceballs: The Mafia Player
Question. How long does day time usually last on here and how long does night time last? I know some places do it differently

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
Question. How long does day time usually last on here and how long does night time last? I know some places do it differently

That's up to the mods, but 5 days/day and 2 days/night seems to be the standard. I've also played in a game that had 7 day days and 2 day nights. Extensions for day and night periods may be granted at the mod's discretion, but it isn't usually an excessively long extension.

The amount of players in a Mafia game affect the length if the game, but not whether it feels like it's dragging on; a task that takes 5 minutes can be as much of a boring drag as a task that takes an hour. You can partially affect a game's ability to drag by the setup; carefully balanced setups with a lot of dynamic roles and interactions will make the game naturally exciting (not to mention multiple night-killers like the Mafia, Vigilante and Serial Killer will quickly thin the ranks), as can working out the rules; outlawing No Lynch votes and claiming can speed things along and streamline the game quite a bit.

But most of all it just relies on the players. I don't know what the issues with games dragging on are right now, but if they're anything like they got last time I played you have a lot of people who are overly cautious and are unwilling to bandwagon and simply do a vote and get the day over with because lawl dat so scummeh. It's not. Best game of Mafia I'd ever played -- and also a narrow victory for the Mafia that they pulled by the skin of their teeth -- was one where we hit Majority Votes and ended the Day early constantly. And no matter how many connections you want to draw between potential suspects for trying to work together and agree on a vote... at the end of the day it's a team game and you need to agree on something. Bandwagoning is basic play.

Dare I say, y'all need more balls. :P

Also two games at a time is all we've ever had, with the addition of the Beginner's games that seem to have stopped completely. I felt like those helped new players get acclimated to the game a lot. But beyond Beginner's games, going past 2 games at a time is silly unless there's enough demand, and if games keep dragging on or losing players to inactivity, then there really isn't.

Advice:

• Keep it at 2 games unless you want to start some Beginner's
  • Mods, carefully look at your rules and role setups, and try to make sure it's all conducive to fair, dynamic, and fun play.
  • Play boldly and for fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom