• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Game Stop Ripoffs

Omega Fury

I ain't mad bro!
I ain't trying to do spam or anything like that on here, but I've traded in my stuff at Game Stop a few times and the worst trade in offer i had was 9 bucks for Battlefield 3. Are you kidding me? I had the receipt and it wasn't near the 7-Day guarantee. They really suck at this crap. I thought this was the most problems of Game Stop people complain of. Feel free to share your experiences of getting Ripped off at Game Stop.

Because I don't live in America, I have GAME instead, but I'll share one of my problems with them. I Bought No more Heroes for the Wii at GAME (or Gamestaion as it used to be called) and when I got home to play it wouldn't work, so I went back the next day to give it back. However instead of Refunding me with the money I bought it with, they put the money I used onto a gift card. I was expecting my money back, not a gift card! I mean it wasn't that expansive to begin with, why is it such and issue refunding me proper money? I tell you the schemes they come up with to make sure money doesn't go out of the till is just pure evil.

LinkIRL

Hero of Time
Games are like buying a car. The second you basically hold it in your hands it becomes "used", and it's worth a ton less. I know, it's stupid but that's the way it is unfortunately. 9 dollars for Battlefield 3 IS really ridiculous, though.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
$9 for BF3? Talk about absolutely ridiculous!

I have two very recent experiences with GameStop.
1) I brought in my iPod Nano 5G, nearly in perfect condition sans a scratch and a dent, and they labeled the thing as "broken", giving me a measly $8 for it. I idiotically went through with the purchase, when I could have gotten at the very least $20 for the thing elsewhere.

2) I brought my 3DS with me just to see if they had a trade-in thing for the XL. I asked the associate if they did, and the guy says that I would get $80 in store credit if I bring everything (box, charger, stylus etc) in, and that includes the double trade in bonus they have going on. I was like "wow...you guys are a terrible company. I understand you're trying to make money, but damn! You could totally give me more bang for my buck -.- "

So yeah, never sell to GameStop in your lives. I trusted them as a game company to have games to sell, but to not resell to them. It's a waste of your money ;)

Norm

God-King of Teh Intarwebz
Clearly in ur tube, blockin ur internets.
I ain't trying to do spam or anything like that on here, but I've traded in my stuff at Game Stop a few times and the worst trade in offer i had was 9 bucks for Battlefield 3. Are you kidding me? I had the receipt and it wasn't near the 7-Day guarantee. They really suck at this crap. I thought this was the most problems of Game Stop people complain of. Feel free to share your experiences of getting Ripped off at Game Stop.

That's nothing. I had a friend who tried to resell Black Ops, a few NBA 2K games, and like 3 other games, which wound up being a total of 7 games, and he got the same offer of $9 for them TOTAL. That's why I prefer to shop at small buisness game stores, they usually have a better variety of games and give better offers.

Moonstone

embrace the brand new day
Games are like buying a car. The second you basically hold it in your hands it becomes "used", and it's worth a ton less. I know, it's stupid but that's the way it is unfortunately. 9 dollars for Battlefield 3 IS really ridiculous, though.

So much this.

Everyone! The best thing to do is buy the games used. You get a full refund if you return them in 7 days if you don't like it, or you beat it. Any reason really. And, if you love the game in those 7 days, you can still return it for full refund and buy it new if you really feel compelled to.

**However, don't pull this too frequently at the same Gamestop (I worked at one, and we had a kid who would do this every week. We eventually stopped selling used games to him)

Mido

Version 1
That's nothing. I had a friend who tried to resell Black Ops, a few NBA 2K games, and like 3 other games, which wound up being a total of 7 games, and he got the same offer of $9 for them TOTAL. That's why I prefer to shop at small buisness game stores, they usually have a better variety of games and give better offers.

I feel great empathy for your friend! I sold three Naruto games for around $13, wich to me, felt like a rip off at the time! But with games like Black Ops and 2K, I would imagine they would give you more money. :S

Moonstone

embrace the brand new day
But with games like Black Ops and 2K, I would imagine they would give you more money. :S

Definitely not. Those games values plummet immediately- there's a new installment of them every year, and every year it's roughly the same thing.

Friends, if you're going to buy games from companies that come out with a new one every year... you're gonna have a bad time. It's unfortunate, but that's just how it is.

Yeah... it sux. I had to deal with this crap on a daily basis when I worked there last year. It's unfortunate, but thing is... the company is required to draw in more revenue than it gives out (in the form of "ripping you, the consumer, off) . You'd actually be surprised to know that this is more or less the standard for most producers (the guys selling you stuff), particularly those that follow the "buy, sell, trade" paradigm.

I once sold them my Wind Waker, and walked out with a whopping 20 bucks. Yeah... Turns out that if you take a look at the receipt you can clearly see that many factors play into the amount of cash you'll get back. Said factors include, but are not limited to, date of purchase, the condition of the game at the time of return, and demand and popularity of the game, although only the former two factors can be seen on the receipt. My copy of WW was not only a month old, but it didn't have any scratches or pricks and I can assure you that it was in high demand at the time.

In any event... I am baffled as to the [hidden?] factors involved in your transaction, but it does seem quite unfair. All I can say is to follow Furie's advice if you ever plan on paying another visit to Gamestop; used games are entirely different animals...

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Happened years ago when I considered giving them Pokemon Stadium since I had Pokemon Stadium 2. They offered me...50 cents. Two freaking GUMBALLS...for my baby, which I had poured by blood, sweat, and tears into 100% as a child.

i purchased tony hawks ride for 50 dollars and took it home this stupid new board thin wouldn't callibrate and i wen back a month later to try to trade it in and they offered me $1.58!!!!!!!!! and they also refused to take the board i was sooooooooooo pissed i almost punched this dude in the face!

You guys are noobs at getting ripped off. I remember buying Wii games for almost $150 in Brazil a few years ago. Also, at release date, PS3 costed $4000, shipping is free though, guess that makes up for the price :P
eQ6mA.jpg

1 real = 0.50 dollars

Omega Fury

I ain't mad bro!
You guys are noobs at getting ripped off. I remember buying Wii games for almost $150 in Brazil a few years ago. Also, at release date, PS3 costed $4000, shipping is free though, guess that makes up for the price :P
eQ6mA.jpg

1 real = 0.50 dollars

(Mind******) What? Why call us noobs?

Zorth

#Scoundrel
Retailers in general don't give you a lot of money back for these kinds of things, if you want to sell a game for almost the same price you bought it for then eBay it or sell it to a person not a store. That's why I never sell to them, they offered 30$ back in 2007 for a GCN with 10 best selling games, I sold all of it for 90$ on eBay, lol.

What? Why call us noobs?

I think he means that everybody is a noob compared to what he went through. It's a joke, lighten up ;)

Omega Fury

I ain't mad bro!
Retailers in general don't give you a lot of money back for these kinds of things, if you want to sell a game for almost the same price you bought it for then eBay it or sell it to a person not a store. That's why I never sell to them, they offered 30$ back in 2007 for a GCN with 10 best selling games, I sold all of it for 90$ on eBay, lol.

Nice job man. You outsmarted game stop. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom