• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

French Fries or Tater Tots?

Fries or Tots?

• French Fries

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tater Tots

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
French fries are the choice for me.

I don't like tater tots. I think they are too mushy.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
It really depends on the type of tater tots and fries in question, as I have very specific tastes. I would say that good hash browns from Waffle House beat both of them, though.

Tater tots might be better than the typical fries you find at a fast food joint, but certain kinds of fries, like potato wedges from Jack in the Box, or curly fries from Arby's are better than tater tots. Sonic's chili-cheese tater tots give the fries a run for their money, though.

Djinn

and Tonic
I think it is interesting you should mention hash browns, since in almost all cases when a fast food restaurant carries them I will usually prefer them over fries. I really wish BurgerKing served theirs throughout the day, they are so much better than their fries. But over time I have gone to Sonic more often due to their having tater tots since they are the closest thing to fastfood hash browns.

For fries it really depends on when you get them. They have a seriously small window of time for tastiness and once it is closed, that's it. They will be terrible forever. Modern science has so far not devised a way of reheating old fries and resurrecting them to their former glory. We simply do not yet have the technology, perhaps one day in the future. Wendy's fries are the worst offender, you have the time it takes to make it to your table to eat them before it is all over. And if you get it in the drive through....no chance. Hash browns and tater tots have no clear defined time limit, they are great three hours later.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
I think it is interesting you should mention hash browns, since in almost all cases when a fast food restaurant carries them I will usually prefer them over fries. I really wish BurgerKing served theirs throughout the day, they are so much better than their fries. But over time I have gone to Sonic more often due to their having tater tots since they are the closest thing to fastfood hash browns.

Yeah, hash browns are pretty good. The Waffle House hash browns, however... have all this good stuff in them, and they're always made fresh. They make them by hand, and they're REALLY good. The other hash browns don't even compare. They even have their own code language to describe how you want your hash browns:

Wikipedia said:
The servers use diner lingo to call in orders, and the menu suggests the use of the same lingo when placing orders for hash brown potatoes: "scattered" (spread on the grill), "smothered" (with onions), "covered" (with cheese), "chunked" (with diced ham), "diced" (with diced tomatoes), "peppered" (with jalapeño peppers), "capped" (with mushrooms), "topped" (with chili) and "all the way" (with all available toppings). Recently, the option of "country" had been added for hashbrowns with sausage gravy on them.
For fries it really depends on when you get them. They have a seriously small window of time for tastiness and once it is closed, that's it. They will be terrible forever. Modern science has so far not devised a way of reheating old fries and resurrecting them to their former glory. We simply do not yet have the technology, perhaps one day in the future. Wendy's fries are the worst offender, you have the time it takes to make it to your table to eat them before it is all over. And if you get it in the drive through....no chance. Hash browns and tater tots have no clear defined time limit, they are great three hours later.

It's true that they'll never taste as good as they did fresh, but I have found a way to make reheated fries taste okay. All you have to do, is spread the fries out on a cookie sheet, and put them in the oven for a while. They'll taste a lot better reheated in the oven, than reheated in the microwave. If you don't mind salting them and eating them with ketchup, the difference is even less noticeable. It also works out better reheating fat fries rather than skinny ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom