• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Franchise Fatigue

Call of Duty and Need for Speed. The only positive for the NFS series the past 4 years has been the two Shift games and Hot Pursuit. NFS The Run was just plain dumb.

It exists if the game's quality suffers, which it almost always does. Like with Assassin's Creed, it has become the CoD of the Action/Adventure genre. The last great AC game was ACII, they;ve gone down hill from there. Great games take time, so they can't help but get fatigued if they're mass produced year after year

Personally, I don't think any of Nintendo's franchises really suffer from franchise fatigue. Nintendo's good about making their games fresh. They may not be completely reinvented like some people are clamoring for, but I think that's a good thing. If you change a franchise too much, is it really even the same franchise anymore? If you're really wanting a completely new game experience, then instead of asking for a certain franchise to change, why not just try a different franchise or genre?

MarkaenShoque92

Hero of Hoenn
Um...no. Being scary doesn't determine the quality of the game. And Resident Evil 5 has more content than RE4...

If it is a survival horror game or it is supposed to be scary, then being scary is kind of the point of the game. And while content is nice, quality over quantity is generally better. Even though a fifth generation Pokemon game has more content than the second gen doesn't account for one being better than the other.

And after my nice lengthy reply to your previous post got erased due to my error, here is my shortened opinion on your opinion.

Sales don't say that much because Earthbound (which had pretty bad sales) is better than Madden NFL *insert year*.

Comparing games across different generations of consoles is purely for the gameplay (and everything else that isn't graphics) factor and is very common within series such as Legend of Zelda, and the GameCube is arguably as good as the PS3 in the games department and both systems are (in my opinion) better than the 360.

Reviewers are basically gamers with a written opinion and deserve as much credit as the fans, who could very well be struck with mass hysteria and think a subpar game is a gift from God (even though I haven't personally played the game, I have heard Final Fantasy 7 is in this category). However, the fans can be right about certain aspects that only fans (and not the general reviewer) can understand.

You have your opinion, and I have mine.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
If it is a survival horror game or it is supposed to be scary, then being scary is kind of the point of the game. And while content is nice, quality over quantity is generally better. Even though a fifth generation Pokemon game has more content than the second gen doesn't account for one being better than the other.

Since when was RE5 about horror? It's more of a survival action game. Just because whiny fanboys want to cry about the series changing doesn't mean the game itself is terrible. Fanboys can cry, but they can never come up with legit reasons for RE5 being a terrible game, other than not being able to accept its evolution. You don't need to tell me about Quantity vs Quality as I am already familiar with the concept. Both games had quality but only one had quantity over the other.

Last edited:
1. Do you believe such a thing as franchise fatigue exists? Yes.

2. If so, what franchises would you deem fatigued? Assassin's Creed (Revelation sucked IMO), Kingdom Hearts (The DS and 3DS games are really p***ing me off), Final Fantasy (XII was one of the worst games I ever played)

Franchise fatigue happens when the developer tries to do the exact same thing with every follow-up or fails to do any of the things which made the previous game stand out. Fable 2 and 3, Halo 2 and 3 all completely failed to deliver the punch that the first title's had. Because of this people stopped playing and caring about the franchise. That's why Halo has recently tried bringing back the revamped first Halo game in an effort to get people excited about Halo 4. MW/CoD do the same damn thing every time like Maden/Fifa/other sports games and people have finally started noticing, so they're upset. If a developer can get away with copying the previous game, then they'll do it, it's easy money. Eventually people will stop buying their products b/c someone else will come along and do it better(BF3 in the case of MW) or b/c they're finally bored of it. Most people like what they know and will keep on paying for it. That's why MW/CoD got away with remaking the same game so many times and why people still buy each new instalment of boring played out sports games. That's also why WoW lasted so long despite Blizzards constant milking of its player-base.

erceos33

8====D Shovel :D
Yeah, franchise fatigue totally exist, CoD games are a good example, and theres also some franchises that just were always fatigued, pulling new crap every year just for the money, yes im talking about EA, hate them >:c

TF/HH

TwilightFlame/HylianHero
Franchise Fatigue certainly exists.

Examples:

Call of Duty

Halo

Sonic

Mario Galaxy

Mario Kart

Battlefield

Gears of War

Elder Scrolls

God of War

...just to name a few.

Franchise Fatigue certainly exists.

Examples:

Mario Galaxy

Battlefield

Gears of War

Elder Scrolls

...just to name a few.

...what? disagree with ya there :P but thats me view ^.^

Personally i only think it happens due to the companies wanting to milk the game for all its worth as quickly as they can before the player base becomes bored.

Sure it exists. Call of Duty, Resident Evil, and Assassin's Creed are all series that I believe will suffer/ already have suffered from this.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
call of duty is obviously the prime example of this little theory,mw3 was horrible,i felt cheated w/ black ops [except for that arcade thing],i honestly didn't mind modern warfare 2,rant goes on...
and i think nintendo needs to hop off on mario for a bit,either that,or i want them to do something totally different for the next mario title [on wii u] something completely new....at least to the mario series

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom