• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Favorite Sitcom?

Mine is Parks and Recreation on NBC. The first season was a little rocky, and I thought it was just another Office, which technically wouldn't be a bad thing (I love The Office), but I wanted to see it spread its wings a bit. The second season was phenomenal, and the characters really developed. Leslie into an almost-too dedicated leader, Tom into a loud entrepreneur, Ron into the liberal and bacon-eating boss. They're all unique and hilarious, and the characters make the show here, not the plot. The third and fourth seasons are also brilliant, with the new characters adding to the fun.

Second place for me would be Friends. It's a classic, and, like PnR, all the characters are the ones who make the show. Anyone could have thought up a show about 6 friends in NYC, but without smart characters, it would fail. And that's why Friends is awesome.

Honorable mention goes to Modern Family. First and second seasons rocked, this one, not so much.

Arrested Development. The writing that spanned three seasons, connecting characters and taking jokes too far, was absolutely brilliant. Their use of inside jokes was simultaneously the most fantastic element of the show and also the reason for its downfall, as it became pretty inaccessible to viewers who hadn't been watching from episode one.

As for being on air now, I'd say Community. They've taken the inside joke element that worked so well in Arrested Development and toned it down enough to be accessible to new viewers. The characters are all unique, the plots are brilliant, and there's a little something in there for almost every demographic (although they're definitely focusing more on the 15-30 crowd with the references to pop culture).

Friends is also a classic, and Modern Family is delightful. How I Met Your Mother also used to be really good, but it's going downhill I think.

Garo

Boy Wonder
Arrested Development. The writing that spanned three seasons, connecting characters and taking jokes too far, was absolutely brilliant. Their use of inside jokes was simultaneously the most fantastic element of the show and also the reason for its downfall, as it became pretty inaccessible to viewers who hadn't been watching from episode one.

As for being on air now, I'd say Community. They've taken the inside joke element that worked so well in Arrested Development and toned it down enough to be accessible to new viewers. The characters are all unique, the plots are brilliant, and there's a little something in there for almost every demographic (although they're definitely focusing more on the 15-30 crowd with the references to pop culture).

I'd argue that Community, while toned down in the sense of continuity pile up, is far more over-the-top and alienating than Arrested Development.

That said, I absolutely love both of those shows.

Link8150

The 8150th Link
Seinfeld, that's really all I have to say. As for today's sitcoms I would have to go with How I Met Your Mother, although I haven't seen much of The Big Bang Theory.

Arrested Development is my favorite show of all time. I really wish that it hadn't been cancelled, but I agree that once it got into using jokes from earlier in the show that it was kind of inevitable that newer audiences would be alienated. It's a shame.

I also love Friends, Seinfeld, That 70's Show, Cheers (to an extent, as it was a tad cheesy for me), Everybody Loves Raymond, King of Queens, 3rd Rock from the Sun, and 30 Rock (if that counts as a sitcom, as I am not entirely sure how to classify it).

Zorth

#Scoundrel
How I Met Your Mother, Big Bang Theory, Two And a Half Men and Seinfeld of course..
That's just some of them, Have 20 others right behind them.

guapo2003

The incomparable legend
Family Guy, American Dad, Futurama, The Simpsons, Family Matters, Full House, Home Improvement, Boy Meets World. I could go on, but I'll stop there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom