• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Favorite Scientist

Firice da Vinci

Distinct lack of Leonardo
Scientists are pretty cool people and I don't think they get enough credit for their awesomeness. Mathematicians can be included, just in case they aren't already.

Though I am sure everyone knows this, I am going to say that my favorite scientist is Leonardo da Vinci. I could seriously go on forever - and I mean forever - on why I believe da Vinci is one of the greatest minds. I'll keep it brief by saying that he was a genius who knew how to use a brush.

Zorth

#Scoundrel
Carl Sagan
Michio Kaku
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Bill Nye
Richard Dawkins

So many others, will probably edit and add more.

Batman

Not all those who wander are lost...
When I think of the most important scientists in history, people whose work totally revolutionized the way we think about reality, three names pop up immediately.

1.) Isaac Newton – Theoretical Physicist, Experimental Physicist, and Mathematician. Isaac Newton is arguably the most intelligent human being (known) to ever exist. His mind operated on levels that truly dwarf most of his intellectual ancestors and successors. He discovered the laws of optics, explained celestial mechanics, discovered the described the laws of gravity, did rudimentary chemistry, and invented a paradigm shifting and world altering field of mathematics called calculus.......and then he turned 26. He laid the foundations for classical mechanics, and thus the industrial revolution and the modern world in which we currently live. Seriously, this mofo revolutionized our world in ways that are still being revealed.

2.) Albert Einstein – Theoretical Physicist. Albert Einstein was by far the most important scientist of the 20th century, without whose pioneering work, we would be mostly clueless about the nature of the universe on very fundamental levels. The special theory of relativity unlocking the secret of the stars and the intimate nature between matter and energy, his work on the photoelectric effect helping found (to his dismay) the exceptionally important field of quantum mechanics which has revolutionized every aspect of technology and life in the 21st century, the general theory of relativity totally revolutionizing how we understand the dizzying facts behind the nature of gravity, space, time, and all of the foundations of modern physics and cosmology. And I could go on for quite some time. His impact on how we understand the nature of the universe, of reality, cannot sufficiently be explained here.

3.) Charles Darwin – Biologist and Geologist. This man's brilliant work totally revolutionized the field of biology with his theory of evolution by natural selection. Not only did it lay the foundation for all of modern biology and medicine, but its scientific underpinnings work on principles applicable to important aspects of the cosmos itself. Unifying all the life sciences, contributing invaluably to the field of genetics, and having groundbreaking implications for paleontology as well as several other fields, Darwin's contribution to modern science can only be described as momentous. Darwin's work has had a massive ripple effect not only in all the natural sciences, but has very important implications for non-scientific human philosophy as well.

Now that they are out of the way, if I could choose 5 others that I just personally consider my favorites, I'd have to choose (in no order):

1.) Carl Sagan - Astrophysicist, Astronomer, Cosmologist, and public communicator of science. His enthusiasm, love, and advocacy for science is nothing short of contagious, and his philosophical ponderings in light of the truths and mysteries of the cosmos can only be described as epically beautiful. His impact on people, young and old, all over the world by getting them interested in the STEM fields and helping all of us realize an awe-inspiring, uplifting, and humbling cosmic perspective was, is, and will always be forever precious. The world would surely be a much better, kinder, happier, and more exciting place if we all adopted his basic attitudes and saw the world, and one another, as he did.

2.) Neil deGrasse Tyson - Astrophysicist and public communicator of science. Much of what I have to say about NDT I have already said about Carl Sagan and much of what I say about NDT can also be said about Sagan; indeed, especially after the recent "Cosmos" series, NDT can be accurately described as our generation's Carl Sagan. But NDT isn't a clone; he's a uniquely humorous, no nonsense polemical, extremely likable, and phenomenal communicator of big and cosmically wonderful ideas who has taught so many so much about our place in the cosmos and what it has to offer. His advocacy of a strong space program and his insistence that we be realistic when it comes to the politics of space, makes him a personal hero of mine and millions of others.

3.) Michio Kaku –Theoretical Physicist and public communicator of science. Michio Kaku’s impact on me personally cannot be stressed enough. His popular science books are single-handedly responsible for getting me interested in what I call “big” science: Cosmology, quantum mechanics, relativity, string theory, multiple universes, and what has become a primary passion in my life: futurism. Futurism being the study of the future; what the past can teach us about the future, examining where current ideas will go, and what the future will bring technologically, scientifically, socially, and as a result of all 3 combined, existentially. If you’re interested in extreme ideas coming out of science, the future of technology, alien civilizations, robots, etc, Michio Kaku is your man.

4.) Richard Dawkins – Evolutionary biologist, Ethologist, Atheist philosopher, and public communicator of science. Richard Dawkins is by far the most controversial person on my list, but no matter what your opinion of Richard Dawkins, his contribution to evolutionary biology and especially its introduction to, and popularization with, the Western public is undeniable and invaluable. His proudly vicious campaign to expose religious human rights violations and brainwashing, to expose pseudoscience like intelligent design and young earth creationism for what it is, and to introduce the general public to the truths about the cosmos and of life on Earth as revealed by the scientific method has always influenced my own philosophy to do the same. His endeavor to teach people, especially young people, that they can be happy, fulfilled, ethical, successful, and spiritual without religion and dogma has greatly impacted me and I’m forever grateful for it.

5.) Stephen Hawking – Theoretical Physicist, Cosmologist, and public communicator of science. Stephen Hawking is easily the most famous living scientist and he attained that status for a reason. His contribution to quantum information theory, to the physical and mathematical nuances of black holes and gravitational singularities, and to deep questions in cosmology and theoretical physics in general is monumental. Not only is he a wonderful popularizer of science (who wrote what is arguably the most influential science book for the public ever published) and a brilliant scientist, but he’s an inspiration to disabled people all over the world. His philosophical ideas about things as various as the existence of God, aliens civilizations, and the future of the human species are thought-provoking and often contrary to the popular opinions of his colleagues, which makes for interesting and much needed debate about important topics.

Honorable mentions:

Richard Feynman (honestly he deserves to be on this list), Bill Nye, Brian Greene, Ray Kurzweil, and Michael Faraday. And pretty much all the major actors in quantum mechanics throughout the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

Last edited:
Richard Hoagland
Kent Hovind
Gene Ray
Dwayne Gish
Ken Ham
ShockofGod
Jason Burns
Ray Comfort
Kirk Cameron
NephilimFree
Don McLeroy
Neal Adams

Honorable mentions include Richard Shaver and Ernst Zündel.

Last edited:
A lot of the most important physicists are also mathematicians. Especially before the 20th century, it was impossible to detach physics from math. So many mathematicians like Newton, Fourier, and Galileo are noted for great contributions to "actual" science (although Galileo's work was really just corollaries from a Before Christ mathematician named Archimedes). But math people's favorite mathematicians generally don't include any of these (MAYBE Newton). Usually Gauss, Euler, Euclid, Riemann, and Weierstrass are listed before them. My favorite mathematician is Kurt Gödel though his work would never be acknowledged in any "actual" science discussion. His contributions were in logic with his incompleteness theorems and are actually more useful in modern philosophy than modern science (though they are still highly mathematical).

My favorite scientists were hit by Batman already...Newton, Einstein, and Darwin. Interestingly, my favorite things from Einstein are his work on Brownian Motion due to their useful application in finance (unfortunately, the stock market is even more ridiculous to understand than physical phenomena due to its rather extraordinary volatility since Eisenhower so these methods are having less and less predictive power). I would add Galileo for his work on astronomy and his politics (heliocentrism ≠ Roman Catholic), though a lot of his ideas weren’t exactly new.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
Hmm. Not sure I have a favorite scientist, but there are things about historical and present scientists that I like...

I have a soft spot for Bill Nye because I watched "Bill Nye the Science Guy" when I was younger.

On that note, I also like Alton Brown, although he is known more as a food-guy than a scientist - he basically takes a "Bill Nye" approach to cooking. I list him because he's not a traditional scientist, yet he is one of those that explains science to the public - it's that he is focused on food.

While we're on food... I read somewhere that Charles Darwin's interest in nature came about in part because he was a part of a weird-food club that sought to eat interesting animals. I think that's just awesome.

I enjoy watching and listening to Neil DeGrasse Tyson and Michio Kaku. They both have an easy manner about them and are clearly in love with their fields.

I admire the calculating patience of Gregor Mendel (surprised he hasn't been mentioned yet... maybe none of you like him because he was a monk)? His weird little hobby of recording what was happening with his pea-plants is why we have the field of Genetics today.

Issac Newton, of course. Not only utterly brilliant, but I really like how he was brilliantly crazy. I mean, the guy was into all kinds of weird spiritual stuff that would probably get him drummed out of academia if he were working today. And not just "a man of his time," stuff, no... from what I've read, he was into friggin' ALCHEMY long after it had become passe'. And yet, despite all of his crazy-mystic-magician stuff, we accept him as one of the greatest scientists and one of the greatest minds ever. I like how he shows that you really can't dismiss all of someone's ideas based on the fact that they're a spiritual-type and you don't like that... or even if they are what you'd call "loony." (It's like a big middle finger to people who say "You must fit in a box"). Yay, Newton!

DaVinci, of course, I admire - but more in the Art sense.

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
Leonardo Da Vinci was a scientist? Didn't know that. Thought he was just an artist.

My vote goes to Gregor Mendel. I did a project on him in school, I found his life story fascinating. He was going to inherit the family farm, but he had to settle for being a gardener monk because his dad decided to give it to his older sister and her husband instead. Honestly, I don't think anyone can say that wouldn't piss them off, but instead of spending the rest of his life being mad about it, he accepted the job he had and had fun doing so, and he was more successful there anyway, because he discovered genetics and got his name engraved in history. And he had a sense of humor. Monks weren't supposed to have children, so he would introduce people to his "kids" and show them the pea plants xD Sounds like he enjoyed seeing people freak out for a minute or so.

Last edited:
Leonardo Da Vinci was a scientist? Didn't know that. Thought he was just an artist.

My vote goes to Gregor Mendel. I did a project on him in school, I found his life story fascinating. He was going to inherit the family farm, but he had to settle for being a gardener monk because his dad decided to give it to his older sister and her husband instead. Honestly, I don't think anyone can say that wouldn't piss them off, but instead of spending the rest of his life being mad about it, he accepted the job he had and had fun doing so, and he was more successful there anyway, because he discovered genetics and got his name engraved in history. And he had a sense of humor. Monks weren't supposed to have children, so he would introduce people to his "kids" and show them the pea plants xD Sounds like he enjoyed seeing people freak out for a minute or so.

Da Vinci had lots of amazing scientific "musings" I would say. He wasn't formally educated, but wrote down a lot of cool things that are quite insane given his lack of official academic merit. He is best known as a visual artist, and all of the science he did can be boiled down to a science of visual art. He sort of invented anatomy by drawing topographic maps of the human body in order to better paint and sculpt humans. He wrote some things about light and optics because in order to make a painting look natural the lighting needs to be right. He invented "perspective drawing" which has some practical and theoretical application in geometry (think one-point, two-point, three-point, four-point perspective).

Mendel's work is really the second pillar of modern biology along with Darwin.

Last edited:

Luke's Wife

peaked in 2015
Bill-Nye.jpg

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick

He was also highly skilled in both theoretical and applied engineering.

Personally, I love Isaac Newton - the ultimate demonstration of the fuzzy, overlapping line between genius and madness.

Richard S. Dunn from The Age of Religious Wars said:
In 1665, when he [Newton] was a student at Cambridge, an epidemic of Bubonic plague closed the university. Newton was forced to spend nearly two years on his mother's isolated Lincolnshire farm. In this unlikely setting, he began experiments ion optics which mad the study of light for the first time a branch of physics. In mathematics, he invented the differential and integral calculus. In mechanics, he began to formulate his laws of universal gravitation and motion... Newton's supreme achievement was to weld Kepler's laws of planetary motion, Galileo's laws of falling bodies, the concept of inertia developed by Galileo and Descartes, and his own concept of gravitation into a single mathematical-physical system.

...To be sure, man no longer lived at the center of the cosmos. He occupied a second-rate planet spinning through endless empty space. But he was learning to master his physical environment. If God set the clock in motion, man could tell the time. Here was the most pervasive long-range consequence of the seventeenth-century scientific revolution: a buoyant faith in rational human progress.

Not bad for a dude in his 20s who moved back in with his mother.

Runner up goes to Tycho Brahe for being a genuine goddamn mad scientist that lived in a castle on an island.

my favorite sciointists is doctor eggman i know he is stupid but he is funny and dum but makes cool robots and i know no many sciotist make robots as cool as he does but he weird he have weird thing like for eggs

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom