• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Favorite/Least Favorite Dungeon in Twilight Princess?

Just curious to hear opinions on this! My favorite would have to be the Temple of Time and my least favorite without a doubt is the Goron Mines. The Temple of Time had a super pretty color scheme and was filled with generic "shoot the thing" puzzles, but I really enjoyed the dominion rod and moving the statue to the entrance using ancient magic, I thought it was definitely a different concept, not quite as unique as snowpeak, but still different in its own way. I also enjoyed the entrance through sacred grove and hearing the temple of time theme from OoT, I could hear my little 12 year old self squealing all the way from 5 years in the future. There was just something about the look that looked very polished and clean. Definitely my favorite dungeon in the game. Also, I'm just going to say that I HATE the Goron Mines. Not saying that it's a bad dungeon, I just didn't enjoy it. I thought that the iron boots, for being used so much, moved too slow across the magnetic ceiling and walls. There was just something about this dungeon that seemed very dry and very slow to me, to where I was like "Am I almost done yet" when playing through it. It's absolutely not that it's a bad dungeon, I just didn't really enjoy it all that much. Also the music here sounded very clunky and was difficult to listen to. Same goes for the track played in City in the Sky. Palace of Twilight is also up there in my list of favorites, I don't know why, but I really genuinely enjoyed playing through it. The color scheme used was also very pretty and it was just very enjoyable for me.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Having recently played Twilight Princess HD I would say my most up to date favourite is still the Arbiters Grounds. I love the undead theme and the whole place reminds me of the film 'The Mummy' especially with the swarm of scarabs that appear. Arbiters Grounds also features one of the most fun bosses in the entire series for me. Whizzing around on the spinner and cracking the spine and then jumping wall to wall, avoiding his fireballs in the second phase is greatly enjoyable. Then to top it all off, following the dungeon there is one of my favourite cutscenes in gaming. Ganondors execution.

My least favourite is City in the Sky. I find the place to be quite visually bland and the music is annoying. There are no really fun and creative puzzles or creative enemies that appear either. The only redeming feature is Argorok the boss.

Favourite; Hyrule Castle.
I love that its not element themed, since that concept bores me now. I like that it requires nearly every item and some good Wolf Link usage.

I love the fights and the boss is just awesome.

Least favourite; City in the sky
Really dont like this one. I never look forward to it. Its a pretty place but I just don't enjoy it. Its the only dungeon that feels like a chore.

Johnny Sooshi

Just a sleepy guy
My favorite is a toss up between Arbiter's Grounds, Temple of Time, and the Twilight Palace.

Arbiter's Grounds was fun, and I enjoyed the split themes between Poe hunting (OoT Forest Temple call backs are fun) and using the spinner for the shorter latter half of the dungeon. The mid boss and boss were really cool. My only complaint is that I wished the spinner was more usable rather than just being abit puzzle item for like 6 spots after the dungeon. It's a really cool item. You can attack with it a little, and it can get fast on the tracks. Just kinda boring otherwise.

Temple of Time was fun for me because of the puzzle focus rather than enemy focus. I liked that them. But, a the same time the boss does suck, as does the Dominion Rod (less useable than the spinner, which says something). The redeeming factor was the glorified mid boss fight against the Darknut. I really liked them as enemies and the dungeon really built to the right in the first half.

Palace of Twilight was cool because of the colors and music and overall design. Zant is a great boss fight imo, probably one of the best. I only wish I could see more of the Twilight world that isn't the corrupted Hyrule from earlier in the game, but that's more of a complaint towards the game as a whole.

Overall, I think my least favorite dungeon is City in the Sky, much like everyone else so far. It was musically and environmentally cool, but lacked variation and felt lethargic compared to other dungeons. It was slow and not all that fun. Aerofols was a kinda cool mid boss, but it loses some of that when you factor them in as a tougher enemy that spawn in later in Hyrule Castle and the Cave of Ordeals. Also, Argorok is kinda lame imo. Morpheal 2.0 imo. You gotta get its armor off on stage one (damage the eye so it'll start swimming), and then get on its back and hack away (clawshot to the eye and stab repeatedly).

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
My favorite is a toss up between Arbiter's Grounds, Temple of Time, and the Twilight Palace.

Arbiter's Grounds was fun, and I enjoyed the split themes between Poe hunting (OoT Forest Temple call backs are fun) and using the spinner for the shorter latter half of the dungeon. The mid boss and boss were really cool. My only complaint is that I wished the spinner was more usable rather than just being abit puzzle item for like 6 spots after the dungeon. It's a really cool item. You can attack with it a little, and it can get fast on the tracks. Just kinda boring otherwise.

Temple of Time was fun for me because of the puzzle focus rather than enemy focus. I liked that them. But, a the same time the boss does suck, as does the Dominion Rod (less useable than the spinner, which says something). The redeeming factor was the glorified mid boss fight against the Darknut. I really liked them as enemies and the dungeon really built to the right in the first half.

Palace of Twilight was cool because of the colors and music and overall design. Zant is a great boss fight imo, probably one of the best. I only wish I could see more of the Twilight world that isn't the corrupted Hyrule from earlier in the game, but that's more of a complaint towards the game as a whole.

Overall, I think my least favorite dungeon is City in the Sky, much like everyone else so far. It was musically and environmentally cool, but lacked variation and felt lethargic compared to other dungeons. It was slow and not all that fun. Aerofols was a kinda cool mid boss, but it loses some of that when you factor them in as a tougher enemy that spawn in later in Hyrule Castle and the Cave of Ordeals. Also, Argorok is kinda lame imo. Morpheal 2.0 imo. You gotta get its armor off on stage one (damage the eye so it'll start swimming), and then get on its back and hack away (clawshot to the eye and stab repeatedly).

Temple of Time I think is my second favourite. Some forum dwellers here in the past have expressed dislike for it but I am a fan, it is good to see others liking the ToT. I liked the theme in there and it is one of the best looking places in TPHD. I enjoyed both the miniboss and main boss in this one, though Armoghoma's theme was the main reason and the amusing end to the battle.

I'm at a crossroads here. I liked Goron Mines, so it's a close 3rd, but I can't decide between Snowpeak and the Temple of Time. I guess I'll put the ToT first and Snowpeak as second.

Wasn't a fan of the Forest Temple. In starting dungeons, you have to capture a certain mood that starts a player off, and the Forest Temple just really didn't do it for me.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
Arbiter's Grounds for sure. One of the coolest and most fun dungeons in any Zelda game, never mind TP, which didn't have great dungeons (they weren't bad, but they weren't great).

Least favorite, um, yeah, City in the Sky. That's the point in the game where, in my first two playthroughs, I put the game down.

I'm at a crossroads here. I liked Goron Mines, so it's a close 3rd, but I can't decide between Snowpeak and the Temple of Time. I guess I'll put the ToT first and Snowpeak as second.

Wasn't a fan of the Forest Temple. In starting dungeons, you have to capture a certain mood that starts a player off, and the Forest Temple just really didn't do it for me.
For me, the Forest Temple is always slow, I guess it's because there's not a lot of variety in items or techniques given it's the first dungeon in the game, that being said, it's still a decent dungeon, that with the monkeys and such, but I definitely agree with you on that it doesn't really capture the players attention all that well.

Arbiters Grounds was a HUGE throwback for me. The Poe Soul collecting made me feel super nostalgic about my days playing OoT.

Arbiter's Grounds for sure. One of the coolest and most fun dungeons in any Zelda game, never mind TP, which didn't have great dungeons (they weren't bad, but they weren't great).

Least favorite, um, yeah, City in the Sky. That's the point in the game where, in my first two playthroughs, I put the game down.
City in the Sky was so bland and slow. And the music was straight up AWFUL to listen to. And because it's such a slow dungeon, I was stuck with the music for upwards of four hours. Not the best of times honestly.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Aw man, this is a tough call. Twilight is full of exceptional dungeons. But if I were to pick one, I'd have to go with Snowpeak Ruins. Like my all time favorite dungeon, Oot's Forest Temple, I love that snowpeak is - and was - a residence. And like OoT's Forest Temple I wish we had some idea of who lived there and why. My favorite dungeons are the ones that have a place in the world.

Arbiter's Grounds is another outstanding dungeon for that same reason. I dig the ambiance but I wish there was a lot more context provided for it, perhaps something to explain the absence of the Gerudo in TP.

And of course everything having to do with the Sacred Grove and the Temple of Time in TP gives me chills. The revelation that the window behind the Door of Time is a gateway to a larger complex, quite likely the Temple of Light in the Sacred Realm. The aesthetic of the Temple of Time dungeon is unique in all of Zelda and I love those magical constructs (I always wondered how bokoblins managed to get there though~). Also, dat Darknut fight. My single most favorite combat encounter in any Zelda game. And the musical theme for that dungeon is the best in the game - except for maybe Hyrule Castle's *****'n nostalgia-laced theme. Speaking of Hyrule Castle, gotta give props for finally being able to explore Hyrule Castle in a 3D main series Zelda. and that nifty lil secret in the graveyard :)

Least favorites? Water Temple. Not because it is hard but because it is long and tedious. While I find Goron Mines engaging I love the structure and progression of that dungeon, it is one of the more visually appealing dungeons, and the magnetic Iron Boots mechanic never gets old even if it does slow your movement speed. To that end Goron mines can drag on a bit, but it seems like I get through it faster every time. Also, the Forest Temple. The monkeys are kinda fun but the dungeon overall is pretty unimaginative.

Last edited:

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
City in the Sky was so bland and slow. And the music was straight up AWFUL to listen to. And because it's such a slow dungeon, I was stuck with the music for upwards of four hours. Not the best of times honestly.

My issue with the game when I first started playing it was that I thought it moved so slowly. The beginning of the game (the first few hours actually) were just so dull, right? The game starts to pick up a bit, and then a lot, and then, BAM, City in the Sky. For me that was the last straw, so I stopped playing. I picked it back up about two years later, started over, and it happened all over, in the same spot. BAM. City in the Sky. Probably 2-3 years later, I decided I had to finish the game. I owed to myself to try it.

I finally got over it, and beat the dungeon, and you know, I ended up appreciating the rest of the game a lot more. As a whole, I really enjoyed the game, but it has to be said that City in the Sky is one of the worst dungeons in the series. I am glad I beat the game, though, because overall the game is really good.

InsomniacAttack

wtf did u say about me u little mcnuggit?
Arbiter's Grounds is a fantastic dungeon with variety in puzzles, interesting use of its dungeon item, and a great boss fight. You now what dungeon doesn't have these qualities any good dungeon should have? The Lakebed Temple. It's actually not a bad dungeon aesthetically, but not only was it a confusing mess to play through, even on subsequent runs, but its puzzles are boring, its boss is bland, and the item is... ok? But not used to its full potential, at least not in this dungeon.

Arbiter's Grounds is a fantastic dungeon with variety in puzzles, interesting use of its dungeon item, and a great boss fight. You now what dungeon doesn't have these qualities any good dungeon should have? The Lakebed Temple. It's actually not a bad dungeon aesthetically, but not only was it a confusing mess to play through, even on subsequent runs, but its puzzles are boring, its boss is bland, and the item is... ok? But not used to its full potential, at least not in this dungeon.
agh! I'm always bittersweet about lakebed, it's beautiful to look at but absolutely terrible to play through. and the boss was a pain as well. water fights suck. water physics in games such.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom