• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Dragons in Zelda

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
Okay, Zelda has had dragons before, and they have been both enemies and allies. Enemy dragons include Volvagia from OoT and Argorok from TP. Ally dragons include Faron, Eldin, and Lanayru in SS and Valoo in WW. But would you like to see the dragons fleshed out a bit more, maybe even become a race like gorons and zoras? Or do you want them to stay the way they are?

I would like to see more of them. I love dragons, and I find it intriguing that Nintendo has used both eastern and western style dragons. Volvagia is obviously an eastern/chinese type, and Argorok and Valoo are western style dragons. The difference? Eastern dragons usually have more snakelike bodies and no wings. Western dragons usually do have wings. Argorok is even a subspecies of western dragon: the wyvern, which is a winged dragon often portrayed with two legs instead of four. The SS dragons, even though they have human faces, strike me as eastern type. I picture them with more dragony faces anyway...

If dragons were to become a race, which would you prefer? Western, eastern, or both? Do you want more dragon bosses, or are you like me, and feel sorry for Volvagia and Argorok because you love dragons and dislike killing them?

This thread conjures a Skyrim based Zelda game in my mind...

I'm all for it. I always remember reading those old King Arthur legends as a child and enjoying the dragon portions the most. Same went for animated films including Sleeping Beauty and the Black Cauldron. My bias is towards western dragons because who likes a dragon which can't fly?

Call me crazy but from a transportation and story perspective, bonding with a dragon would certainly make for an interesting adventure. Dragons would be a much appreciated transition from the mundane horse, bird, or mechanic infrastructure previously used for travel. It's the Zelda fantasy every fan has always wanted-bombarding a Stalfos armed castle on top of a large, winged reptilian.

Yes, to more dragon bosses. Volvagia and Argorok are among my favorite dangerous denizens. Not only were they aesthetically brilliant but the design of both battles was stellar with necessary precaution requires to approach each and go in for the kill. Next time around, the green hero should face two dragons lending an unpredictable and refreshing atmosphere to the bout.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
You brought up an interesting idea. I would like the idea of a dragon race. I also really like dragons, so it would be pretty cool to see them as a race. As far as Eastern vs Western goes, I kind of prefer Western. But just seeing dragons in Zelda would be enough for me. If dragon riding were incorporated into Zelda, that would be amazing. We've already had bird riding, so why not dragon riding? I think it would be an interesting concept. Maybe not as a main focus, but as a little something on the side, like a minigame. The minigame could even tie in with the dragon race. I think that would be really cool.

Last edited:
Eastern style dragons have always been my favourite, they're so much more interesting than western ones.

I'd like to see them as a race, i think it could make for some interesting side quests and a proper dragon themed dungeon would be nice too. =]

PokaLink

Pokalink the avaricious
My first thought at reading the title, Skyrim, anyway my personal favorite is chinese dragon, but ive enjoyed dragons throughout the series, i woudnt like to see a whole city of dragons, but i would like haveing a more legendary outcast dragon race similer to Skyrim.

Last edited:
I would prefer it if there was a Humanoid Dragon Race in the same fashion as the Rito Tribe, I think that would be more suitible for Zelda then just having standard Western/Eastern Dragons.

Dragoncat

I must live under a rock...everybody automatically thought Skyrim. I know Skyrim has dragons but seriously?

Anyway, SS' Earth Temple was enough of a dragon themed dungeon to me. There were dragon head carvings everywhere. As far as a humanoid dragon race goes, dragons are usually depicted as being intelligent enough to have their own society, and that also means they'd be able to speak the same language as everyone else. They can just be talking flying reptiles. The idea is cool though.

Hmm, well bonding with dragons might be too much like How to Train You Dragon, and with the series Dragons: Riders of Berk out right now, might not be such a good idea.

Interesting, I once had the idea of a race of dragons in a Zelda game. The idea was that a lone survivor of the dragons, non-evil creature from dark world variety, went rogue and wanted to revive his dead race of sapient dragons by wiping out Hylians. Perhaps the dragons could be a mix of both eastern and western dragons.

And yes, I always want dragon bosses. Heck, I think the series could have a dragon as the main villain in either the manner I mentioned or as some kind of destructive force like the Firebird from Fantasia 2000. The next game's fire dungeon needs to have a dragon for a boss.

Well, as some of you may know, I've been going on a bit about my game concept, The Cardinal Kingdom. And just as you might suspect, it does include dragons as well. I didn't flesh them out to be a humanoid dragon type, but there would be a variation in dragon types.

For instance, I associated Eastern Dragons with similarities of amphibious beasts, or in the very least, beasts that move in snake-like motions or walk as a means of transportation. Then there's also Western Dragons, which would be a more fierce enemy, mainly because in order to duel them you'd have to fight in the sky (somewhere that's not at first accessible to Link and Zelda). But I differentiated between the two by making the Western style females and the Eastern style males, ultimately making the Western Dragons far larger than the males.

Anyway, they are most prevalent in the Dragon Grounds and the Forbidden Rock, although there is one (commanded by the ruler, emperor if you will, of the Ordonian Empire) Western that roams the mountaintops of more civilized locations. The story with the dragons is that over time, while they were seen as vicious beasts, Ordonians took them in, raising them with morals and kindness. These would be your "humanoid dragons" as they would be your insight and allies in the fight against evil (Thunder Dragon, Magma Dragon, Aqua Dragon, and Treetop Dragon- just to specify elemental types). I haven't really counted the amount of females, but there would probably be 3 (two being of good-nature). As for the amount of male dragons, well I wouldn't say endless, but once in these regions they are probably the hardest non-mini boss to fight as they are always like a small mini-boss battle.

The coolest thing about the dragon concept is that, toward the end of the game, the Thunder Dragon can be called upon (via Link's falcon) and he allows you quick access to the Skyloft Sanctuary. And for the final battle (really the biggest thing I think about in regards to the story development) incorporates a dragon battle where Ganondorf crafts his own dragon from his dead soldiers' armor.

Basically, when you think about any aspect of what you'd like in a Zelda game, The Cardinal Kingdom finds a way to appeal to everyone without overdoing it. Having dragon all over the place would be too Skyrim, and would void them of a solid backstory/purpose of being where they are. Going full humanoid may be possible for a Zelda game, but it rings too close to a childish audience. These dragons have to be badass, and tell me what you like I just can't see a Rito assuming that kind of role. Daring, perhaps. Even heroic at times, but they'd be the equivalent of a kamikaze pilot when what we really want in a battle is (a little of both probably) a giant freakin bomb (ala dragons).

Dragoncat

Hmm, well bonding with dragons might be too much like How to Train You Dragon, and with the series Dragons: Riders of Berk out right now, might not be such a good idea.
Or Dragonriders of Pern, or Eragon. The list goes on and on. Anyway I love that movie, but I have never heard of Riders of Berk. Is it a TV show?

Your Cardinal Kingdom sounds epic as ever, Rock. Anything you'd ever want in a Zelda game...well, me wanting Link and Zelda to kiss at the end of SS comes to mind, but that's only because they were childhood friends and same social rank(Zelda wasnt royalty), and a romantic relationship was hinted at lots of times. I don't know much about the Link and Zelda in your concept, so I can't logically be all "Zomg pair them up and let them get busy! And their kid will save the world!" Lol...the SS versions of them do have kids in my head canon, but idk about those youngsters saving the world. That was just a reference to a cliche I see everywhere...

Or Dragonriders of Pern, or Eragon. The list goes on and on. Anyway I love that movie, but I have never heard of Riders of Berk. Is it a TV show?

Your Cardinal Kingdom sounds epic as ever, Rock. Anything you'd ever want in a Zelda game...well, me wanting Link and Zelda to kiss at the end of SS comes to mind, but that's only because they were childhood friends and same social rank(Zelda wasnt royalty), and a romantic relationship was hinted at lots of times. I don't know much about the Link and Zelda in your concept, so I can't logically be all "Zomg pair them up and let them get busy! And their kid will save the world!" Lol...the SS versions of them do have kids in my head canon, but idk about those youngsters saving the world. That was just a reference to a cliche I see everywhere...

Funny you mention the desire for that dynamic. One of the game's aspects is a two player, co-op, optional game player with Zelda and Link as a team. And as I've explored with every character I've re-imagined so far, those two would also have their moments where things would flesh out. The love interest wouldn't be bursting at the seems, but it would make for a good end to the chapter of the Cardinal Kingdom.

As for the whole getting down to business, I tried to figure out how this would work and what came to mind is a very epic, complex (almost Inception-style) "ending" to the Zelda timeline I'm working with. Let's see if I can simplify the depth of it all. Zelda and Link are finally a couple (if you will), Link is slowly dying, Zelda amasses power, gives "birth" to a reincarnated Link (via magic, technically not her son) in Gerudo Desert (safe haven during the war, where Zelda's worshipped as a goddess). Cue a cycle in the timeline (sort of). Would still allow for various other adventures (a way to recreate Zelda stories down the road without changing the course of the account).

Of course, that is a huuuuuge overview and it was more so the product of my interest in exploring Vaati as a full-fledged villain. But it's essentially part of a character arc for Link. It was meant to be a sequel to The Cardinal Kingdom, called Sage of Time. But there's one aspect involved I've been trying to hammer out and that's a more in-depth utilization of the Fierce Deity Link/Sheik dynamic that (may or may not be explored in Cardinal Kingdom) I want to almost burden the duo. At least, I wrote the Fierce Deity/Sheik sequence for Cardinal Kingdom, but might have to stick with normal Link/Zelda if it's possible to flesh out the alter egos in later installments.

But thanks for the compliment. I'm really honest to the fans and loyal to the story, so I appreciate people speaking out about their ideas and concerns. I mean, who wouldn't want what I would believe to be (in a completely non-biased case) the best Zelda game ever?

MikauIncarnate

Hero of the Zora
I agree with absolutely no dragon riding; however, I do like the idea of more dragons in Zelda, especially as bosses. I prefer a sort of mix between eastern and westerns, like long and skinny with no wings but can still fly, usually elementally oriented. I'm not sure how well the dragon race would play out, but I do like the idea. Like I said, I would love more dragon bosses, especially like the dual dragon idea.

Yeah, you mentioned the co op thing before. Reincarnation via magic? Hmm...to be honest, I'd rather have him die while she's pregnant with their child, as big of a cliche as that is...it's bittersweet. But anyway...

Oh, of course. Link dies. He's dead as dirt. It'd be an epic conclusion. But the end of game credits would role and pry at the cycle of the Hero of Time. I essentially pondered this because I wanted one of my stories' sequels to incorporate the Old Link from Comic Con a while ago, and figured that'd be at the end of his timeline. Which of course meant, according the the legend, that he would be born again (every 100 years). I wrote a rather fan-fic styled ending in which Link's death would probably keep every gamer's jaws dropped, and that's where the ending would officially lay. But I just teased what it all meant.

As I mentioned, it was rather confusing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom