• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Does The Title Matter Now?

Smertios, I'm almost positive that at the end of OoT Navi calls him Daimaou. He was a Maou throughout the whole game, and then at the end he is called Daimaou.

Atleast I'm pretty sure Erimgard said that lol

Oh, ok, didn't know Navi called him daimaou in the end...

It wasn't a recurring topic that was discussed, it was accepted and not discussed like the SW.

It was accepted until I came back and started saying you were all wrong :P Not that Ollathir wasn't doing that already lol

Or it's just whatever the **** he wants to call himself lol.

I believe there is a quote in FSA that implies Yami no Maou is a title only granted to the bearer of the trident of power...

I mean people thought that Vaati was the King of Darkness.

Because they didn't know what it takes to be an YnM, and they definitely didn't know Ganon existed...

And, yeah, Great Demon King is very generic. But how is it any more generic than King of Darkness, lol?

Because of that quote from FSA...

Except Daimaou ALWAYS refers to a specific person in Zelda because there is always only ONE Daimaou at a time.

Proof?

Daimaou refers to Ganon JUST THE SAME as Yami no Maou refers to Ganon. How does that make Daimaou unimportant? The Daimaou and the Yami no Maou are the same person. Iif England was the only country in the world and the King of England was the only king that "King/Great King/Awesome King/etc" could refer to then wouldn't that make it essentially the same as "King of England"? Thus giving either both significance, or both being generic and unimportant?

What I meant was: there can easily be two Maous that are considered "big", the same way there can be two kings that are considered "high", but there can't be two "Kings of Engand", the same way there cannot be two "Maous of Darkness"... Unless, of course, there are two tridents...

They're the same damn thing.

If you ignore FSA completely...

He has the trident in LoZ, and he's called BOTH the Daimaou and Yami no Maou in OoX.

He doesn't have the trident in LoZ.

As for OoX, the only thing that you have to understand is that Ganon is a Maou, a big Maou... But he is also the Maou of Darkness...

You're saying that LoZ doesn't have the trident (even though artwork and the ONLY remake EVER made for the game (rerelease is the same thing as the original and they changed absolutely nothing). Even if that remake doesn't deserve a spot in the timeline, it shows clear intent that the developers invision LoZ Ganon as using the trident), and... I'm unsure about your views on OoX Ganon...

Artwork released with LoZ in 1986 showed Ganon with no trident.
Artwork released with LttP in 1991 showed Ganon with a trident.
Artwork released with LA in 1993 showed Ganon with no trident.

So, if you are going for most recent intent shown in artwork, Ganon has no trident...

As for BSLoZ, you might have a point. But I still don't think the trident was ever important to the storyline as a whole before OoX and FSA: imo, they added the trident to OoX to imply a connection to LttP (Ganon died with the trident in LttP, was ressurected with the trident in OoX); and added it in FSA just so they could give LttP's Ganon a new backstory.

I guess you don't find what happens in BS LoZ, the only remake ever of the original LoZ made by the Zelda team, important at all?

It is not a remake. It's a new game, with new characters, a new map and a new storyline, loosely based on the stories of LoZ and LttP...

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
So what's the general concensus? This has sort of gone off on a tangent of what Ganon/dorf's past titles were rather than of their importance. Should we consider his titles or not? You've got my 2 cents on this.

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
^How can one title matter but not another? It seems to me that if you're going to throw out one title, then all of them should be thrown out.

Pinecove

Last Chance
Because as Smertios pointed out, Yami no maou is a specific title, only given to the holder of the Trident of Darkness. There isn't a game where Ganon is called Yami no maou in which he doesn't have the Trident.

Also titles are important for OoX because Ganon being revived as Daimaou means he has to have died previously in a game where he's not the Yami no maou.

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
Haha that confused the heck out of me. Well, does the title of Demon King hold any significance then seeing as how it appears there is a new Demon King?

It was accepted until I came back and started saying you were all wrong :P Not that Ollathir wasn't doing that already lol
Ollathir believed in almost the exact same thing, but that the games with no story took place after LttP instead of the beginning of the AT.

I believe there is a quote in FSA that implies Yami no Maou is a title only granted to the bearer of the trident of power...
It does not say "only granted". It just says "You are the King of Darkness".

Because they didn't know what it takes to be an YnM, and they definitely didn't know Ganon existed...
It can take anything to be a Yami no Maou. OoX was a Yami no Maou but was referred to as a Daimaou throughout the whole game. He just said "I am the King of Darkness" and then died.

Clearly he can call himself whatever he wants.

Because of that quote from FSA...
All that quote from FSA says is that the trident holder is the King of Darkness. It doesn't say that the King of Darkness can ONLY appear if he has the trident.

Uhmm just take a look at the games. How many Daimaous are there in OoT? Or LoZ? Or OoX?

There aren't any other Daimaous to refer to.

what I meant was: there can easily be two Maous that are considered "big", the same way there can be two kings that are considered "high", but there can't be two "Kings of Engand", the same way there cannot be two "Maous of Darkness"... Unless, of course, there are two tridents...
Except there are NEVER two Daimaous at the same time. There will NEVER be two Daimaous at the same time in Zelda.

Why?

Because Daimaou ONLY EVER refers to the current enemy (in this debate, Ganon). It's just as generic as Yami no Maou because they both refer to the same thing EVERY TIME.

It doesn't matter what it could refer to if there was more than one, it matters what it ALWAYS refers to because there is always only one at a time. It ALWAYS refers to the current enemy, Ganon. Thus it is just as generic as any other exclusive title.

If there is an "Emporer (sp?) of the World" then Emporer, The Emporer, Awesome Emporer, The Great Emporer, The Uber Emporer, etc would ALL refer to the same thing and they wouldn't be generic.

If you ignore FSA completely...
I'm not ignoring FSA. You're taking FSA out of context and adding to it.

It says that the holder of the trident is the King of Darkness. It NEVER says that the ONLY POSSIBLE WAY to be the King of Darkness is to hold the trident.

He doesn't have the trident in LoZ.
Then you ignore the most recent intent.

As for OoX, the only thing that you have to understand is that Ganon is a Maou, a big Maou... But he is also the Maou of Darkness...
It never calls OoX Ganon "A Daimaou" lol. It ALWAYS calls him "The Daimaou" because there is ALWAYS only one, so calling him a "generic" title wouldn't confuse anyone and would clearly refer to the same thing.

Artwork released with LoZ in 1986 showed Ganon with no trident.
Artwork released with LttP in 1991 showed Ganon with a trident.
Artwork released with LA in 1993 showed Ganon with no trident.
LA calls LttP Ganon with the Trident King of Evil.

So I guess he lost his powers over darkness and is now just controlling Evil, amirite?

So, if you are going for most recent intent shown in artwork, Ganon has no trident...
Good thing BS LoZ came out 5 years after LA.

As for BSLoZ, you might have a point. But I still don't think the trident was ever important to the storyline as a whole before OoX and FSA
OoX and FSA? I think you mean just FSA, right? Because it has NO storyline importance in OoX considering in half of his sprites he's not actually holding the trident...
imo, they added the trident to OoX to imply a connection to LttP (Ganon died with the trident in LttP, was ressurected with the trident in OoX); and added it in FSA just so they could give LttP's Ganon a new backstory.
Then why did OoX connect so much better than with LoZ, and why did it fix a plothole in the OFFICIAL timeline if it went after LoZ?

The intent was for LoZ Ganon to have the trident.

It is not a remake. It's a new game, with new characters, a new map and a new storyline, loosely based on the stories of LoZ and LttP...
Of course it was a new game. It came out like 11 years after. LoZ had almost no characters anyways and was rather dull. The map was the exact same, just higher quality. LoZ had no storyline lol. "Oh noes Ganon stole the Triforce of Power and stole the princess. Go kill him, hero" compared to "A long time ago a theif stole the Triforce and became Ganon then got sealed by the Seven Sages in what is called the Seal War. Now he has stolen Princess Zelda. Go kill him, hero".

It's the same story, just more detailed and connected to LttP via the SW.

@Zemen: I doubt either means much, but they both would have the same value because they mean the same thing.

@Pinecove: FSA NEVER says that the only way to be Yami no Maou is to hold the trident. It does say that the holder of the trident is the Yami no Maou. But that is as fallacious as saying the only way to become a Maou is to touch the Triforce because Ganondorf in OoT touched the Triforce and became the Maou.

Also because you believe that holding the trident is the only way to be Yami no Maou, then throughout most of the fight with Ganon in OoX he is a Daimaou, then suddenly becomes Yami no Maou whenever he attacks with the trident, amirite?

Pinecove

Last Chance
Haha that confused the heck out of me. Well, does the title of Demon King hold any significance then seeing as how it appears there is a new Demon King?

Not really.

Just know that there can only be one Daimaou at a time.

Edit:

It can take anything to be a Yami no Maou. OoX was a Yami no Maou but was referred to as a Daimaou throughout the whole game. He just said "I am the King of Darkness" and then died.

Clearly he can call himself whatever he wants.

He became Yami no maou there because he was REVIVED FROM DARKNESS!

^I would like some proof, please.

As far as I remember there was no story significance placed upon the title Yami no Maou. Along with no story significance placed upon the trident, or Daimaou.

^Oh I hate when that happens. Like I right a stupid long reply about, say, the SW and then accidently hit back, or close the page...

Yeah they revived him from the darkness, but nothing says that's why he is the Yami no Maou.

I mean they know that they are reviving him from darkness, so if reviving him from darkness would turn Ganon into the Yami no Maou don't you think that Twinrova would know? Twinrova, of course, only calls Ganon Daimaou.

Also, I can't imagine the trident turns him into Yami no Maou. I mean Twinrova intended to revive the Daimaou. Why would they want to revive a trident-less Ganon, anyways, and the accidently revive him with the trident?

Skull_Kid

Bugaboo!
Even with this all this babling about titles, I really raised an eyebrow when I saw someone mentioning TP and how Ganondorf was introduced in the game.
I wouldn't be surprised if Ganondorf would appear almost at the end of ST.
Or maybe he won't, and they'll keep him dead in the Adult timeline, and leave the Child timeline the "place" for the Demon-Swine to roam

Sparky

Crawfish Prime
I personally don't feel they matter.
Of all the things to base a timeline off of, like geographical relevance, the location of the triforce, ingame information and the such, I feel that titles are the least important thing to guide your timeline by.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom