• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Does the Original Master Sword Exist in Wind Waker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Baron

Lucius Junius Brutus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ge8zd1ZR-hc
Watch at around the 3:20 mark.
He didn't leave the Master Sword anywhere.

And around 8:50 on that video when young Link arrives back, we also don't see him putting any sword back into the pedestal, and he isn't carrying another Master Sword. I realize you don't directly see adult Link leave the Master sword anywhere, I wasn't challenging that. Still, what sounds more unlikely (I'll rephrase some to clarify my meaning): That a time-travel related mistake removed the master sword from the timeline and a replica is created (none of this alluded to), or that although not directly seen the Master Sword was still left in the future?

I think this is the easiest way to analyse this question:

1. The Master Sword exists in WW (AT).
2. The Master Sword exists in TP (CT).
3. The CT Master Sword =/= The AT Master Sword.

4. OoT Link disappeas in a blue light with the Master Sword (from the AT).
5. OoT Link reappears in a blue light with the Master Sword lying in its pedestal (on the CT).

6. The AT Master Sword left Link after he flew away in a blue light but before he left the timeline.

What actually happens during item #6 remains, however, unknown.

I hope this might help.

/Blue Window

And around 8:50 on that video when young Link arrives back, we also don't see him putting any sword back into the pedestal, and he isn't carrying another Master Sword. I realize you don't directly see adult Link leave the Master sword anywhere, I wasn't challenging that. Still, what sounds more unlikely (I'll rephrase some to clarify my meaning): That a time-travel related mistake removed the master sword from the timeline and a replica is created (none of this alluded to), or that although not directly seen the Master Sword was still left in the future?

I'd say the latter seems more unlikely.
And I'm not just saying that because I started the theory, because I would really like to think that the Master Sword is the same blade throughout the series. However, nobody seems to be able to disprove it.

If the master sword were a divine relic, like the Triforce, I could buy the idea that it simply vanished and strolled off somewhere else. However it isn't and since SS we now now that in comparison it has fairly humble origins and is merely powered up by forces like the sacred flames and the sages. I don't believe the Master Sword was transported to the CT as there would no doubt already be one there. Another reason for this is that it only seems to be Link's spirit that is sent back to the CT and not his physical body. There doesn't appear to be any of what he gained as an Adult with him (especially since in MM you have to re-gain items). This all jsut begs the question of where the stuff went though.

Meh, this is getting too complcated.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Not entirely sure what you're getting at here. It almost sounds like you seem to think that Adult Link existed in the Adult Timeline following him being sent to the child timeline....
Once Ganon was defeated, Link can't have interacted with the Master Sword again. In the Adult timeline he didn't exist anymore (which is what caused me to question whether the original master did as well) and in the Child Timeline he left it in the PoT where it was sealed away.

I'm saying Link could have chosen to remain an adult and remain in Hyrule till his death. Or he could return to his childhood by pulling the Master Sword from its pedestal and journeying to Termina for the Child Timeline.

OK. So if there can only ever be one, how is there one in both the Child and Adult timeline?
This comment doesn't really do anything to disprove the theory. Rather it works quite in it's favour, as if it was true there was a time in the Adult timeline where there was no Master Sword at all and the Child Timeline housed the original. Thus, a new one had to be forged in order to seal Ganon's magic.

Sorry to say, but you're misunderstanding something. The Child and Adult Timelines are split where Link either leaves the Master Sword sheathed in its pedestal (Child) or takes it with him (basically for the rest of his life; Adult). Now these are two separate possible realities Ocarina of Time Link could have taken:

1) Leave Hyrule as a youth still and travel to Termina, which then moves on to the events of MM and TP in the Child Timeline. But he leaves the MS in the Temple of Time, until it reappears in Twilight Princess.
2) Stays in Hyrule and most likely lives out his days there until his death in the Adult Timeline. After he dies the Master Sword is taken and hidden beneath Hyrule Castle because Ganon's seal was broken, and Hyrule was being flooded, which then moves on to the events of WW, PH, and ST.

The placement of the other games is undecided to me, but that, so far as we know, still leaves one Master Sword.

I'm saying Link could have chosen to remain an adult and remain in Hyrule till his death. Or he could return to his childhood by pulling the Master Sword from its pedestal and journeying to Termina for the Child Timeline.
The Link of Ocarina of Time does not exist in the Adult Timeline after Ganon's defeat. That isn't a possibility that is a fact. Sorry

Zelda tells him to put the Master Sword back, so I believe that she transports him to the ToT where he lays the Master Sword to rest and then reverts back to his original time. The moment when he puts the Master Sword back as an adult, his spirit is resealed while the Sword stays behind. When he comes out as a child, the Master Sword is in the pedestal due to the resealing effect that puts him back to right before he drew it. This leaves two Original Master Swords on both timelines.

This is all Zelda's fault for making the dumbest decision ever at sending Link back to the past before anything happened

I'm pretty sure the difference in length can be entirely attributed to a design change, just as Skyward Sword's Master Sword looks quite different than the one in Ocarina of Time.

ChuChuOfTime

Fish. Citizen of Foo
It's the master sword maybe it can do magical stuff like shorten itself so toon link can use it.

The MS in WW is the same sword as the one in OoT. The game says it is. The game does not say it was created by others.

At the end of OoT Link begins to fly up before the camera pans away, this is likely when the MS stays behind and why it ends up in the new Hyrule Castle in TWW rather than the Temple of Time. I speculate that the new castle was built around the Master Sword after it had fallen down.

Also at the end of OoT we see child Link reappearing not having touched the MS at all, it stays in the Temple of Time until TP.

The MS in WW is the same sword as the one in OoT. The game says it is. The game does not say it was created by others.

At the end of OoT Link begins to fly up before the camera pans away, this is likely when the MS stays behind and why it ends up in the new Hyrule Castle in TWW rather than the Temple of Time. I speculate that the new castle was built around the Master Sword after it had fallen down.

Also at the end of OoT we see child Link reappearing not having touched the MS at all, it stays in the Temple of Time until TP.
Actually no. We see the blue light, camera pans down and Link is already stood there. If, by your logic, it is possible that during the few seconds we don't see Link as he is being transported away that the Master Sword was dropped (if it were to be left behind it wouldn't have begun the journey up in the first place), it's also possible that Link did in fact put the Master Sword back and we just didn't see it.

"it's also possible that Link did in fact put the Master Sword back and we just didn't see it. "

If he put it back in the Pedestal of Time, then in the Wind Waker it should be in the Temple of Time, not the new Hyrule Castle. And since only Link can wield it, no one would have been able to transport it from one location to another.

LinkPTY

Skyward Wiimote
I think in OoT young Link uses the MS as a "ship" to the Adult Timeline, since he never uses it as a child. So at the end of OoT when Zelda sends Link back in time, he lays the MS in the Pedestal of Time, leaving that one there (later discovered in TWW) and he returns in to the Child Timeline, he leaves the other Master Sword there. Bottom line, there are two Master Swords.

Like someone above me said, the Master Sword in TP is already powered whether the Master Sword in TWW lost some of its powers.

Like someone above me said, the Master Sword in TP is already powered whether the Master Sword in TWW lost some of its powers.
WW Master Sword lost some of it's powers due to Ganon killing two of the sages. I don't quite see your point here...
Fierce_Deity said:
"it's also possible that Link did in fact put the Master Sword back and we just didn't see it. "

If he put it back in the Pedestal of Time, then in the Wind Waker it should be in the Temple of Time, not the new Hyrule Castle. And since only Link can wield it, no one would have been able to transport it from one location to another.
When I said he could have put it back in the PoT off camera, I was referring to child Link. Not adult Link.

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
I'd say the latter seems more unlikely.
And I'm not just saying that because I started the theory, because I would really like to think that the Master Sword is the same blade throughout the series. However, nobody seems to be able to disprove it.

If the master sword were a divine relic, like the Triforce, I could buy the idea that it simply vanished and strolled off somewhere else. However it isn't and since SS we now now that in comparison it has fairly humble origins and is merely powered up by forces like the sacred flames and the sages. I don't believe the Master Sword was transported to the CT as there would no doubt already be one there. Another reason for this is that it only seems to be Link's spirit that is sent back to the CT and not his physical body. There doesn't appear to be any of what he gained as an Adult with him (especially since in MM you have to re-gain items). This all jsut begs the question of where the stuff went though.

Meh, this is getting too complcated.

...HUH?

Either you don't read our post, or just don't want to understand the arguments of other people. There is a word for that...its called being stubborn.

I'm already suprised that this debate is still going. I think i already gave my fair share of arguments that already disproves this theory. And i can say the same of a couple of other members who joined this debate. On the contrary, i havn't seen one strong argument from you that disproves my statements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom