• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Does Skyward Sword Surpass Ocarina of Time?

Do you think SS is better than OoT?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• They're about the same.

• Total voters
G

gamerguy20097

I prefer the combat of SS to Oot's although the music of Oot has been growing on me for years and years so I'm inclined to give Oot the music win. Almost all the music in Oot I love. Especially the original fire temple music. I'd say they are about the same though.

Batman

Not all those who wander are lost...
It definitely surpasses Ocarina of Time. I have always been a fervent supporter of Ocarina of Time being the best Zelda game, but that's all changed. Skyward Sword has rejuvenated the series just like OoT did in its day. Skyward Sword has set so many new standards for what a Zelda game should be. There has never been a Zelda story as profound and well written as this one. It has set a new standard for quality of the story, gameplay mechanics, and so much more.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
SS' music beats OoT's to me, hands down. SS' gameplay style beats OoT's to me, hands down. Graphics are very clearly a win for SS. But there's still something missing. Difficulty, meaningful NPCs and a Zelda that isn't a plot device damsel-in-distress, to be frank.

I'll be honest: if I did a 6 heart, Hero Mode, no shield, no upgrades and no fairies/potions run of Skyward Sword [which is essentially an OoTV1.0 Minimalist run], I would take a few deaths under my belt. Well, few may be an understatement but I dunno for sure. Similarly, if I did a 3 heart, Master Quest 3D (or make a GameShark code so that enemies deal double damage for v1.0), no shield, no upgrades and no fairies/potions run of Ocarina of Time, I'd take many more deaths than I would in SS (the deaths don't include because of enemy placements of Master Quest!). Both games' enemies are extremely predictable, but SS' enemies don't even try to attack. So there's the difficulty portion of my complaint against SS > OoT.

NPCs mean next to nothing in OoT – they lack personality...character, real achievements and more. Sad to say, Skyward Sword's NPCs are the exact same. The only difference is, Groose and Mido become more plot related in very different parts of the game, and Groose shines where Mido is dim. That's the lack of meaningful NPCs.

Zelda. Zelda, Zelda, Zelda. How I wish she weren't a plot device, but 'tis not to be true I suppose. I won't reveal some ending details to Skyward Sword, but she's just so freakin' useless. She does nothing but get captured time after time after time. Y'know how she says Link is a member of the Academy just like "the rest of us"? Well, how come Zelda isn't a Knight (Dame) yet, and how come she STILL has no combat abilities to speak of? At least in OoT she gave us a weapon, in Skyward all she can do is sing at some silly altars, get captured, get rescued and...well, get captured. :/

So yes, in my mind SS < OoT. They're close to an equal, but Zelda (SS) disappoints the crap out of me.

Batman

Zelda. Zelda, Zelda, Zelda. How I wish she weren't a plot device, but 'tis not to be true I suppose. I won't reveal some ending details to Skyward Sword, but she's just so freakin' useless. She does nothing but get captured time after time after time. Y'know how she says Link is a member of the Academy just like "the rest of us"? Well, how come Zelda isn't a Knight (Dame) yet, and how come she STILL has no combat abilities to speak of? At least in OoT she gave us a weapon, in Skyward all she can do is sing at some silly altars, get captured, get rescued and...well, get captured. :/
This is how Zelda games work. Link is tasked with saving Zelda; 'tis the formula. We've already been through this, so I know how you feel about Zelda's role. However, I admire her role in this game. She sacrifices her normal life to do what's good for the world. She does what she must because it's right. She fulfils her destiny willingly and does her duty with pride. I admire that. That's a really great role for Zelda. Instead of being the priviledged princess of a kingdom, knowing what could happen to her, she's a normal girl, living a normal life who is caught up in an extraordinary event, and she gladly does her job to save those she loves. That's an admirable role. But, I know you disagree.

I think this by itself makes SS better than OoT.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
This is how Zelda games work. Link is tasked with saving Zelda; 'tis the formula. We've already been through this, so I know how you feel about Zelda's role. However, I admire her role in this game. She sacrifices her normal life to do what's good for the world. She does what she must because it's right. She fulfils her destiny willingly and does her duty with pride. I admire that. That's a really great role for Zelda. Instead of being the priviledged princess of a kingdom, knowing what could happen to her, she's a normal girl, living a normal life who is caught up in an extraordinary event, and she gladly does her job to save those she loves. That's an admirable role. But, I know you disagree.
Oh no, I don't disagree at all. It's an awesome role to undertake, and important at that...but she's done it for every single game where she was the damsel (barring the Oracle games I think and of course Spirit Tracks...sort of). She gets captured, that's all she does. Barring whatever "mysticism" she may entail by being an object worth capturing, all she ever does of any significance is get captured. Her getting captured is the supposed driving force, it can't ever be "I'm Zelda, Dame of Skyloft/Hyrule, and you are Link, Knight of Skyloft/Hyrule" and then they suddenly get attacked by evil forces (that happened with TETRA sort of in Wind Waker). Zelda just does something stupid/lets her guard down, gets captured, then Link comes to some revelation/realization that he has to save her through whatever means necessary.

There are multiple character types, there's the Peach (oh help me Mario, but I'm in another castle! - type character), there's the Sheva (absolutely pointless and useless besides being there, any dedicated Resident Evil player will know what I'm talking about), and there is the Mary Sue (pretty much able to get out of any situation without suffering any sort of harm, essentially 'perfect' in completely unrealistic ways as far as the story goes) to name a few. Zelda in every single appearance where she's a damsel (again, barring ST and the Oracle games I think) turns out to be a Peach.

She isn't physical at all (I think Nintendo purposefully made her frail in appearance to keep her from being able to wield a sword or any sort of weapon). She can pray to her gods, she can get helped by the hero, but she can't fend for herself. That's ridiculous. You'd think that, with imbued with you know what (hint, think of Hylia), she would be able to at least fight for herself. She cannot. I knew previously that Zelda was a plot device in OoT, that's all fine and dandy because that was back then. Skyward Sword is now, but she is STILL suffering from plot device syndrome. Were Zelda a Sheva, I'd be disappointed because as we all know, despite her proneness to being captured, is still important to the story; we can't have a Princess who means nothing at all (though she was close to that point in Twilight Princess). Were she a Mary Sue, I'd be fine with that – at least she'd be able to get herself outta sticky situations by herself, without relying on some silly magic powers or some stupid SS-Impa type character. But she isn't, so I'm in disappoint. :/

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Coincidentally, all spin off games. Zelda was an extreme use in Zelda's Adventure, was she not? But that's a spin off game, not a main game. Until Zelda becomes a Knight/Dame in a main Zelda game (hopefully Zelda 3DS??), I'm not going to really support any side-character changes, like the subtle (or not so much) "hey, I'm your girlfriend!" change of Skyward Sword's beginning.

So to put it bluntly, in my opinion SS doesn't beat OoT because of story issues and difficulty I came across.

Last edited:

Batman

Oh no, I don't disagree at all. It's an awesome role to undertake, and important at that...but she's done it for every single game where she was the damsel (barring the Oracle games I think and of course Spirit Tracks...sort of). She gets captured, that's all she does. Barring whatever "mysticism" she may entail by being an object worth capturing, all she ever does of any significance is get captured. Her getting captured is the supposed driving force, it can't ever be "I'm Zelda, Dame of Skyloft/Hyrule, and you are Link, Knight of Skyloft/Hyrule" and then they suddenly get attacked by evil forces (that happened with TETRA sort of in Wind Waker). Zelda just does something stupid/lets her guard down, gets captured, then Link comes to some revelation/realization that he has to save her through whatever means necessary.

There are multiple character types, there's the Peach (oh help me Mario, but I'm in another castle! - type character), there's the Sheva (absolutely pointless and useless besides being there, any dedicated Resident Evil player will know what I'm talking about), and there is the Mary Sue (pretty much able to get out of any situation without suffering any sort of harm, essentially 'perfect' in completely unrealistic ways as far as the story goes) to name a few. Zelda in every single appearance where she's a damsel (again, barring ST and the Oracle games I think) turns out to be a Peach.

She isn't physical at all (I think Nintendo purposefully made her frail in appearance to keep her from being able to wield a sword or any sort of weapon). She can pray to her gods, she can get helped by the hero, but she can't fend for herself. That's ridiculous. You'd think that, with imbued with you know what (hint, think of Hylia), she would be able to at least fight for herself. She cannot. I knew previously that Zelda was a plot device in OoT, that's all fine and dandy because that was back then. Skyward Sword is now, but she is STILL suffering from plot device syndrome. Were Zelda a Sheva, I'd be disappointed because as we all know, despite her proneness to being captured, is still important to the story; we can't have a Princess who means nothing at all (though she was close to that point in Twilight Princess). Were she a Mary Sue, I'd be fine with that – at least she'd be able to get herself outta sticky situations by herself, without relying on some silly magic powers or some stupid SS-Impa type character. But she isn't, so I'm in disappoint. :/
So, you dislike the Legend of Zelda plot formula. Meaning you don't like the fact that Link, the hero, is tasked with saving Zelda, the princess in the series; right? You don't like the fact that Zelda games are built around a hero saving a captured princess; a princess in need of a hero's help. If so that's fine, just wanting to make sure that's what you're saying.

T

TheOriginalHigh

yes most definitely for me! It lived up to all my expectations and more... imo it was truly befitting game to celebrate 25 years of the legend of zelda! It had aspects of every game to date but still remained unique. Even tho i love OOT in a nostalgic way imo i believe MM , TWW, and SS surpass it in every area!

I love the art style and combat in SS, but I like the different races and connections made with them in OOT. Like how link was really close with the kokiri, became a brother to the gorons, was a hero to King Zora (not really built anything with that race), and earned the respect of the gerudo. I just felt that there was no connection between Link and the squid things, mogma, or the plant things. I kinda just felt like they were there and nothing was really done with them. I loved having other villages to visit and people to meet.

T

TheOriginalHigh

I agree the stroy this time around was very engrossing and emotionally driven which is what i want in a zelda game. The dialogue with people is cleverly written especially ghirahim. I remember ghirahim saying something along the lines like, " i would kill you now but i don't have time for recreation, the next time we meet I'll make the affair so excruciating, you'll deafen yourself with the shrill sound of your own screams." come on that's pretty menacing and artistically flamboyant fitting his character! As for rejuvenating the series i agree once more since i haven't been this WOWED by a zelda game since the wind waker and im terribly excited to see what they will come out with for the in works zelda 3ds and inevitable wii u zelda title... its going to take a lot to surpass what they did in skyward sword!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom