• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Does Skyward Sword Surpass Ocarina of Time?

Do you think SS is better than OoT?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• They're about the same.

• Total voters

Niko Bellic 817

GH3: Legends of Rock
I personally feel that Skyward Sword is better than Ocarina of Time. For one, Fi is more informative than Navi and doesn't briefly pause the game to explain to you that a door can be opened with the A button. Another reason is the new upgrade system. This may be an unfair point because the N64 has less processing power than the Wii, obviously. However, I feel that new strategy opens up when you try to preserve your shields. Having a like-like, for example, gobble up a shield isn't as threatening as you can just kill the like-like to get the shield back. I feel it's more satisfying to go through a difficult sidequest in Skyward Sword in order to finally get a shield that is indestructible. I also find the story of Skyward Sword to be more mysterious than Ocarina of Time. In the beginning of Ocarina of Time, Link has a dream about Ganondorf storming out of the hyrule castle on horseback. In Skyward Sword, Link dreams about this large black monster with many rows of teeth. I feel that the Skyward Sword dream is less clear because you don't really see the intentions of this large beast. In terms of getting around, Skyward Sword does better because it has a sprinting system. When you are a child in Ocarina of Time, I personally feel that getting to different locations is really slow. The only way you can speed up is to roll. Therefore, I feel that Skyward Sword does a better job with this. So what are you guys thoughts on this?

Edit Wow, really surprised that this many people thought Skyward Sword was better than Ocarina of Time. Really shocked, never thought any Zelda could surpass it. (According to majority opinion)

Last edited:
Both have great stories.
SS has a better control scheme.
OoT has a better soundtrack, but SS is orchestrated and has some amazing tracks of it's own.
I like OoT's world better myself.
The characters are great in both, I lean toward OoT but I have known those characters since childhood so I am a little biased there. Objectively it's close and SS has some really neat characters for sure.
I pick OoT as still the best, however I am not that far into SS yet (just beat Earth Temple yesterday) so maybe it'll change but for now I still think OoT wins. Doesn't take away from SS which is an amazing game though.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Skyward Sword is 200% better than Ocarina of Time. Everything about it surpasses Ocarina. The story, the gameplay, the music, the characters, the side-content...everything you can name that makes a game good, Skyward Sword has outdone Ocarina of Time in it. Anyone who says Ocarina of Time is still the best has either not played Skyward Sword or just too filled with nostalgia. It's that inarguable.

As an adventure game, it clearly surpasses OoT. However, in terms of general appeal, OoT is still the best. You see, while SS is a great game, there are a few elements that would annoy or alienate other gamers that occasionally pick up adventure games. OoT is much easier to get into than any other great Zelda game.

I'm not sure if it's quite better than WW, but it's close.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
The swordplay is better, the best in the series in fact. (did not like the shield though, rarely used the thing) Fi is more helpful than navi. Character development for the main quest is better, like zelda and Groose, but OOT had allot more likeable people. I liked Zelda, Impa, groose and Ghirahim as characters in this Game, whilst I liked Darunia, Saria, Ruto, Ganondorf, Ingo... In fact OOT's characters were more likeable and because of the travelling though time you got to see them change and/or mature which is incredibly effective. You also got to know the tribes better in OOT. SS did not go the full way with character development that I would have liked it to but when it did have developed characters they were better than OOT's.

OOT's villain was more effective. Ganondorf had a distinct personality like Ghirahim, but the in the opposite way, Ghirahim was playful, it was not as though he and link were enemies, Ganondorf was forceful and brutish, demanding that link tell him where zelda was,he truly viewed link as no threat, refusing to fight him, and just blasting him away with magic on their fist meeting. Ghirahim showed up made threats and did not follow through. Ganondorf was this big evil looking man with greenish skin and dark armour who everyone but the King knew was evil. We see first hand the extent of what he can do as soon as you step out of the temple of time, seeing a death mountain with a bright red ring around the top and ruined market town full of zombies and dark clouds blocking out the sun overhead. We are told that he murdered and stole, even Nabooru who was a thief thought he was evil. This menacing feeling of facing a real threat was not in SS (except when the imprisoned tried to break out). Ghirahim's powers are shown off when he blasts apart a wall but he has not really impacted peoples lives in any way. Ghirahim was a good character but not very threatening. Demise was said to have been this demon king who had a great army and killed people, we don't even know what he looks like until the end and it is told by zelda though a text box we just read of it rather than witnessing anything and the scene was not dark, and had no foreboding music that I can remember making the coming of Demise seem less worrying than it could have been.

I preferred the dungeon formula of OOT with a dungeon, then travelling to the next area, talking to people so you find out where the next dungeon is and how to get in and then doing the Dungeon. Rather than the overworld being a dungeon just with no roof.

SS has fantastic music, performed by a real orchestra allot of the time. This is an instance where it obviously surpasses OOT. Seriously I think it has some of the best video game music ever. The Koloktos boss fight intro and battle music is the best boss music ever. Lanayru desert music really made you feel as though you were in that desert and the Earth temple music really set the scene for a hot lava filled temple. I think OOT should have had the orchestra treatment for the remake, the midi music really did not do some of the tracks justice keeping the same kind of sound for the sake of nostalgia rather than bettering a game was a bad move in my opinion.

SS has better graphics, no doubt about it, art style choice is a personal like or dislike for people, but there is no denying the Game is technically superior. Physics were implemented better in this game than in any other game in the series as of yet. The Moblin had belly and man-breast physics, the grass would part when you walked through it.

Cutscenes from SS were beautifully rendered for a wii game and would not look too shabby in comparison to some X360 games. Much better than OOT, character expressions were allot more noticeable showing more clearly the mood of the characters in the cutscenes.

Voice work was superior in SS, more voice work was done which expressed the characters feelings far more than in any other zelda title. Ghirahim in particular is the best example of where the voice work was put to good use in SS. Zelda's singing was beautiful also and probably as close to proper voice acting as the series has gone so far. ( I know voice acting would work in Zelda!)

The final battle is far more visually spectacular than in any other Zelda game. It is how TP's final battle should have been!

SS does surpass Ocarina of time in many ways, but do I prefer the game as a whole? No. OOT is still tied with TP for top spot with SS securely in second. I just loved the atmosphere of those two games and preferred their story and more of their characters. It seems that whenever a new game is released some aspects are improved whilst others are changed in a way that is worse. It's like art style I suppose some people love one style whilst others like another. SS may have been the perfect game that beat every aspect of OOT for some people, just not for me.

SNOlink

I'm baack. Who missed me?
Random Poll: SS Vs. OoT

I ask this because on the way up to the release date, people have been saying that SS will be better that OoT. Well? Do you think this?

Link8150

The 8150th Link
Skyward Sword is my favorite game of all time, even better than Majora's Mask and Mass Effect 2, which are better than Ocarina of Time.

I like Majora's Mask and Wind Waker the best, because Majora's Mask had the feel of OoT with better graphics and the innovation of the masks, and Wind Waker had beautiful graphics and good dungeons. But both TP and ST are also better than OoT in my opinion.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I like Majora's Mask and Wind Waker the best, because Majora's Mask had the feel of OoT with better graphics and the innovation of the masks, and Wind Waker had beautiful graphics and good dungeons. But both TP and ST are also better than OoT in my opinion.

So are you saying you liked them better or that you think they actually are better? Those are two very different things. I like TP better than OoT, but I don't think TP's the better game.

I think that OoT is still the best Zelda game. But that's just my opinion, of course. Skyward Sword almost beat OoT, but the overuse of the dowsing ability and having to recenter the wiimote dragged it down a bit.

J

jwatson390

Skyward Sword is my new favorite game, which was previously OoT.

blubb

Ash Gala Wonderful!
So are you saying you liked them better or that you think they actually are better? Those are two very different things. I like TP better than OoT, but I don't think TP's the better game.
I think that it's impossible to say 100% objectively which game is better because opinion always plays a big role. I can't differentiate between "favourite" and "best", they're the same to me. You'll always get different results from different people because they weigh certain aspects of the game differently. For example I weigh gameplay much higher than storyline and I know many people who do it the other way around. And even the concept of gameplay means different things to different people too, I think that non-linearity, a well-balanced difficulty level and customisability (is that even a word^^) play a big role for gameplay, and this is why I prefer MM and LttP over OoT, while SS is inbetween for now.
My current favourite console Zelda list is aLttP=MM>SS>OoT>TP>LoZ>AoL>WW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom