• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Does right vs. Left handed Link matter?

Link should be...

• Right handed.

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Left handed.

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Whatever the game calls for.

Votes: 20 71.4%

• Total voters

Spamomanospam

Captain Kick-ass
I've always been a fan of Left handed Link, I thought it was a unique tick he had as a hero that stood out.
Now, though, we've seen multiple versions of him that are right handed, starting with Twilight Princess, and theorists are using this as a point of argument to try and place Breath of the Wild in the timeline based on that. Is that fair? In Twilight Princess, he was only right handed in one version, and that's because they flipped the graphics in the ENTIRE GAME. I think this was a sound idea for the time, since many people would have probably complained about controlling his left hand with their right. However, this doesn't change the fact that Link is left handed to me. You might even say that since the GameCube version was the base which the Wii version was built upon, it was even the correct version (if you want to go that far.) It wasn't made as a writing choice, it was made to create a better flow of gameplay. For that matter, Skyward Sword is the same. Plus, if you're using this as a basis for timeline placement, why don't you consider that Zelda was left handed in that version? Wouldn't that make it so she couldn't be related to any other version of Zelda? Plus, Ocarina of Time 3D had a right handed Link on the Matter Quest, so why doesn't that add in to any of these theories?

My point is, I think putting any emphasis on Link's handedness is not justified means of placing anything in any timeline. What do you think, does it mean anything that Link is right handed in some games?

Yea I definitely agree that his left or right handedness doesn't provide me with solid evidence to put it anywhere on the time like the creators of the game say that link is right hand in breath of the wild because you use your right hand to hit the button that makes him attack, how does this make sense? I can't think of a Zelda game where you don't use your right hand to hit the button to attack. So using that logic link should have always been right handed

karu

Panamaniac
To be honest it doesn't impact the game-play that much. Link is still boss no matter what hand he uses. A Link and a sword, that's all that's needed to beat Ganon, like Ganon is going to go like, "hmm, link is left handed therefore my strategy shall be to attack him from his right side cause he's slower there!" It doesn't work like that lol, but hey maybe in the future it will have some impact

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
Well you see little Johnny the handedness of a character such as Link isn't what is important, it's what's on the inside that counts, and inside is a courageous spirit of a hero, one who can overcome any evil, and no, no it does not matter.

Night Owl

~Momentai
I don't think his handedness matters. I figure link would be capable of fighting ambidextrously if the situation ultimately called for it as any competent swordsman would be.
If that's the case then, it really doesn't matter his preferred hand for fighting.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
He has got to be left handed! He has always been that way, and it is an essential part of who he is. To change his handedness is to change a fundamental part of the character himself. So much so that a right handed Link is no longer even the real Link but a pale imitation.

The only reason he became right handed was for the introduction of the wii games. I don't mind, but the whole 'everything in TP is flipped good luck finding anything' bothered me. Any walkthrough I used just ended up confusing me.

I'm not a huge fan of change, but as long as the change relates to gameplay (like the tunic in BotW) I don't really care. The only time it would bother me is if it's to make Link a nonbinary muslim bisexual foxkin or something else to be seen as "progressive."

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Aesthetically speaking I think having his sword and shield on his back on his right side looks more pleasing to the eye but maybe that's because I am right handed myself. Other than that I really couldn't care less and it means nothing to the timeline. I'm not gonna flip a table if he's left-handed (I would have had to flip many a table by now lol). I'm not gonna lie and say I don't prefer him to be right handed but it really doesn't get much deeper than aesthetics for me, so it's not a big deal. I do find it kind of amusing when people freak out over his handedness as if him not being left-handed is the end of the world, though.

pyjamas5189

Secretly a cat
I agree that it doesn't matter which hand he uses and the only reason they switched to right hand is for the motion controls, I don't know if it would have been possible to of allowed the player to choose which hand they want to use and that would please everyone

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom