• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do You Think Nintendo Will Add an Award System?

Basically, the xbox360 has achievements. The PS3 has trophies. Do you think Nintendo will add an award system for their future consoles/handhelds?

I've never actually played the Wii, so I'm probably wrong, but I thought they did have something like the achievements/trophies of the other consoles?

TheGreen

is climbin' in yo windows
I see that being a plausible idea. Wii already has significant Wifi components. In fact I can't think of a reason not to, other than being different. They seem to like doing that:P

A lot of games could use a system like that already. i.e. Super Mario Bros. Wii, collected all the star coins, beat bowser, get 99 lives, etc.

I've never actually played the Wii, so I'm probably wrong, but I thought they did have something like the achievements/trophies of the other consoles?

As far as I know, they do have something like that for Wii Sports Resort. As for the other games I've played on it, they don't.

Kybyrian

It'd really have to be a big update, otherwise they would have no real purpose at all. You wouldn't really be able to show them off or anything(except to IRL friends), because the Wii doesn't have a network. Xbox has Xbox LIVE and Playstation 3 has PSN. The Wii only has Wifi, and no real network to go along with their online stuff. You can't view a profile, send friend requests(aside from Friend Codes, which are also separate for every game) like the Wii can, Without a network, the awards would pretty much be for nothing, not even for show. If they made a big update like that, though, it would mess up a lot of things. Friend codes would be unneeded and all that, people couldn't have the same name, etc.

However, if they created a new console they could easily do it on that because they wouldn't be messing anything up at all, it would be starting fresh with a new concept.

Diablo

King of Redeads
The wii already has awards kind of. In most of their games they have some sort of awards system. I see what you mean though about console awards and I think they should it and have some sort of ranking system where it tells where you rank in the wii world.

The only game I have seen to do this is Mega Man 9, which had Challenges you could complete. These were exactly like the achievements on Xbox, but no one was able to see them.

It'd really have to be a big update, otherwise they would have no real purpose at all. You wouldn't really be able to show them off or anything(except to IRL friends), because the Wii doesn't have a network. Xbox has Xbox LIVE and Playstation 3 has PSN. The Wii only has Wifi, and no real network to go along with their online stuff. You can't view a profile, send friend requests(aside from Friend Codes, which are also separate for every game) like the Wii can, Without a network, the awards would pretty much be for nothing, not even for show. If they made a big update like that, though, it would mess up a lot of things. Friend codes would be unneeded and all that, people couldn't have the same name, etc.

This is true, however the Wii system itself does have its own friend code. So technically, they could just add a WiiWare type download that had an archive of all the "achievements" and allow each specific Wii system Friend Code to unlock them. The problem with this idea is that the friend code is system-specific. Playing another system would only unlock the achievements for that specific system.

So basically, Wii would have to setup some kind of server where each player could make their own profile, like Kybyrian mentioned above. This way, you could recover your profile on other systems and continue to unlock the "achievements" that way. And about 50% of the whole purpose of achievements is bragging rights, the other 50% being re-playability. It is highly unlikely that this will ever happen for the Wii though. Some of Nintendo's best games are behind us and I don't see them taking the time to go back and make "achievements" for every past game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom