• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do You Think Link Should Talk?

Do you think it's a good idea for Link to actually say stuff on screen?

• Heck Yeah!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Heck no!

• I don't care

• Total voters

blubb

Ash Gala Wonderful!
I agree with most of the posters here that a talking Link would somehow ruin it. A silent Link makes it easier for the player to identify with Link, because it would somehow feel "forced" if you heard Link talking something totally different from what you as the player actually think at that moment, get what I mean? A silent Link leaves more space for your own imagination, and I want it to stay like that. Voice Acting is overrated anyway, I'm able to read quickly enough even though English is only my 3rd language, so what's the problem? Laziness? OK I may be a little biased because spoken English is a lot harder for me to understand than written English, but even if they made it in German I'd still prefer text. After all I'd be fine if they did VA for NPCs, even key charcters like Zelda or Ganon(dorf), but please don't make Link talk.

T

Tasha

I agree with blubb. Though I sort of want to hear what Link sounds like, I'd propbably be disappointed if it wasn't like I imagined. Plus, it would be in Japanese, so I still woudn't be able to understand it, and if they overdubbed it in English, the voice wouldn't be the one the creators had in mind for Link. So it's probably best if Link stays silent, but I do suppose it would be nice if the text box (like the one in TP) would also show everything Link says, and maybe that you even had some options to choose what he says.

43ForceGems

Quid est veritas, Claudia
Hey, Tasha, we know what Link sounds like. OAHH!!! HYAAHHHH! Hip! Hop! Toop! HYA!!!

Well, no I don't want him to talk. It would totally ruin the series. Wait. Voice acting, HECK NO!!!

Text bubbles like everyone else. Yes. Not voice acting, but I would like to see Link with some text boxes. And sometimes, if you're like fighting an enemy and Link takes damage, there could be a text bubble at the bottom of the screen that says: "Hey that hurts!" Or something like that.

jlemon9721

Me. I kill you.
They just can't make Link talk, the only thing they need to do is that black screen or the hand waving thing and no talking whatsoever. It would be really awkward and confusing if they did.

Hylian Pants

Nintendo Wench
Although it is tempting to see what they'd come up with, I'd have to say no, simply because of the massive fan-pocalypse that would occur among the die hards. I think Link's speechlessness is a staple of his character (or lack thereof, whichever works) at this point, akin to his green outfit or his milk addiction and even more so than the left handed thing, which caused an uproar with TP. Voice acting would cause outrage like the Zelda community has never seen, imo. There's no way they can make everyone happy with one voice. Make us keep using our imagination. I'm sure everyone here has a different perception of how Link should sound, it varies with the player and how they act him out.

Last edited:
K

kyuupid

I agree with Hylian Pants that it would be interesting to see what they'd come up with if they ever did something like that, but I think part of the "magic" to him would disappear if he started having dragged-out conversations with everybody and his brother. The fact that we can see ourselves in him or use our own imagination in applying his personality is one of the things that's so great about Link, and to ruin it would be to ruin him as a unique character. Also, if they went all out and gave him a voice actor, I'm pretty sure I, and many, many other Zelda fans, would be disappointed no matter how they did it. And to be frank, it would sound kind of stupid with Japanese dialogue in a translated English version, even though the Japanese tend to be better than the Americans at casting voice actors.

mewtwolord

Hello World
o_O I don't think they should make Link talk.The loz cartoon made me go wtf...Link isn't meant to talk, he sounds strange.

Link does talk. Most gamers are too oblivious to see it and deem him a mute. I think it's annoying how many people think Link can't, doesn't, and hasn't talked. There are tons of instances where he does, I could list them, but that would take awhile.

Link does not really talk outside of a speech bubble, and not with us having to fill in the blanks. I'll give you that, but there is an instance where he does talk and I haven't seen anyone make a big deal out of it. When having Medli (and I believe also Makar) in the Earth Temple, Link will call her over by saying "Come on!" People haven't made a fuss out of it, so I'm sure people will accept having it again, so long as it's subtle.

Nintendo has a knack for trying new things, so I think if they try it, they'll do something like the previous example, where people might notice, but just not make a big fuss, as it's pretty small. If you're saying "Link should talk whenever possible!" Then, although I'm skeptic, I'm for it.

Xixor

Warrior of the Past
Really, I would love for Link to talk. But it would turn Zelda into a different game.

As far as voice acting goes, they should keep it simple like, "Hey!" or maybe even "Yes" and "No". I also think that if Link talks more than that, it should be text boxes. I really don't like the blackout after someone asks Link a question and then they magically answer. If they don't want to make Link talk, Nintendo should just avoid that completely. I have also enjoyed when you, as Link, are being asked multiple questions and you have the chance to reply a few different ways. That makes me think I am talking, not Link.

I also think there is a reason Link doesn't talk in the fist place. As a few others said, there is a reason you can name your character whatever you want. It's like Pokemon. It is really supposed to be your character, not the one that developers made for you. Link doesn't talk because Nintendo is trying to avoid making Link/your character say something that you wouldn't say. Red/Ash/your character never says anything either. In these two games (Zelda and Pokemon), the point is that you have to save Hyrule/gotta catch them all. That is why you can name stuff and choose a few things what to say.

In many other games, you, as the player, are just playing the game as the character the developers made for you. That's the whole point. You take on the role of that character instead of making it your own.

So basically, if you want Zelda to become a game like Metroid, then you want Link to talk. And if you like the way you choose Link's name and what he says, then you should want Link to keep his mouth shut.

Nye Pendragon

derparific
Ohohoho. Not at all. That would be... awful, to put it nicely.

Emotions are a good thing for Link: we saw in Twilight Princess how he had varied emotions; it helped keep him interesting and not just a robot. But him /talking/ or any other Zelda character in general? Just wrong. Zelda has never had voiceovers, something I love and appriciate for the series and if they change it I will be royally ticked off. :< Link is the player personified(sp?) into the game, not just another character, but a vessel to display the emotions and thoughts of the player themselves. Unlike how in games how you play the main character and he/she talks (and has a specific persona) Link can be any kind of person you want him to be; which is kind of a staple for the Zelda series now. Now, a main character with a personality and a voice all their own works in other games such as Final Fantasy, but not in Zelda. Link is already the silent but full of emotions hero we've all come to know and love, why change a formula that works? I like the variability of Link not having a set persona/voice and making him up myself. It makes me more engrossed in the game and I actually feel like I have some say in what he does or thinks.

And with voiceovers, you have that nasty business of converting the Japanese to English and then it gets dubbed... -shivers-

Then again, this might just be me. :x I like the silent Link and nothing but "HYAAA!!"'s will keep me happy. This goes for any voiceovers in Zelda; simple murmurs and grunts are all I ever want to hear~ But again, this is just my opinion.

P

predsfan88

Well for one thing, Nintendo needs to get over themselves and hire someone that can design better looking games like for Zelda*cough*. TP looked pretty good, but they can do much better than that! Stop making it look all weird and having all these weird looking people. TP had a lot of people that you couldn't tell what gender they were. I mean seriously! YES, Link should talk! And they should have voice-overs too! Aren't you tired of reading everything they say? I know this is continuing off topic, but make the temples harder! Make me think! I'm in the middle of playing Master Quest and it still isn't challenging! This is what happens when you leave it up to the same people over and over again. Just look how George Lucas ruined Star Wars! Hire a new guy to change up the making and game play of the Zelda series! It's getting very repetitive!

PS - Sorry about the rant, but I'm not the only one thinking it.

A

Avilink777

Maybe they should have every one talk, not just word bubbles,actual talking.But only in cut scenes!If they talk every time you talk with them it would get annoying.Plus i think link should talk, but to a minimum.

Vibed

must read before he posts
While in the manga and cartoon he talks, he feels like a different character. A different character meant to appease the story and comedy. When I play OoT, I realized that I do actually imagine Link as a vessel for me, and my name is Link. But voice acting would just change the character for me. Not just as a vessel, but as a character, and he would seem more like he is from the manga. The words "Come on!" didn't mean much because Toon Link is less expected to be silent than serious Link and that phase isn't a complete sentence, but more like a grunt.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I like it as it is now. I don't think Nintendo should change it. Even though it would be funny to hear Link say a bit more but really I like it as it is so they better leave it. Never change a winning team :P

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom