• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do you still use physical dictionaries?

GrooseIsLoose

Slickest pompadour in town
ZD Legend
It's hard to imagine that I've been using dictionary so often few years back. Now I just Google. Is there anyone who still uses dictionary?

OGSniper

Sharpshooter for Hire
ZD Champion
Yes. I am not always in reach of my computer or a phone. Then again, a dictionary will only have fixed number of words that are "look up-able, so having the internet is much better because you can look up any word.

Ganondorf

"Dandori Issue"
Yeah, I have a Japanese dictionary in my desk that I regularly use for translating small items & virtual pet things. So I would say I still use one. I'd probably still use an English one if I had it handy, since sometimes it just feels better. Internet of course makes it moot if I'm at a PC, though.

*M i d n a*

Æsir Scribe
I do. I actually have a talking dictionary gadget that I bought to help me when I need to since I write a lot.

If I ever have the chance to use a physical dictionary, I always prefer that over looking it up online. Probably because I grew up with looking things up in a book, rather than online. I didn't grow up when internet was mainstreamed, I think I was probably in 4 for 5th grade when I even started using technology, and the most I did was play Flash games. Wasn't until I got into middle school that I started watching YouTube I got my first phone, which didn't even have a touch screen. The only thing I used the internet for now is this site, Discord if you want to count it, online play only with friends or the membership program virtual console on Switch, purchasing stuff, and watching YouTube videos. That's pretty much it for my technology use. I don't even watch TV now.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
Most technology that we encounter in our everyday lives is implemented for the sake of convenience often minimizes time spent on each activity, sometimes removing us entirely from whole facets of interaction with a given task or object. In the contemporary western world, our lives are built on convenience.we wouldn't even have time to "go to work", it's wouldn't even be a concept, if we didn't have a car to speed us to our place of employment, a bed in which to sleep, a fridge to keep our food cold so that it doesn't mold before we can throw it in the microwave before we blast out the door.

Google has taken the place of the dictionary do we are able to more fluently communicate with others, we could not live our lives in the way we do without the Internet. Yet the things we do choose to do with intent can be useful to us. We often lose sight of (or don't know in the first place) the minutia that makes up life. We begin to think lower order as our base needs become more convenient to serve (through a maslovian lens). Our base needs being easily met comes with a trade-off, however. I like being able to go to a restaurant to have somebody else make food for me but I don't know anything about the food. This isn't a bad thing at all, I wouldn't have time to read a book to my kids if I were having to farm my own food. So much convenience do we have in our lives that we often fail to live intentionally.

We chose what to be intentional about and those things mold us and shape who we become. To Google a word leaves me with more time to be intentional about other things. To use a dictionary to find the definition of a word acquaints you with the feel and smell of paper, the contours of printed letters, the time spent proactively finding a word and exercising parts of the brain less used, imprinting neural pathways to expand the capacity of your potential.

I read a physical Bible when I study. The inconvenience of sitting down with a physical book offers a different opportunity that confers a uniquely satisfying experience. The more work you do in service of a goal, the greater the capacity for dividends.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom