• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Modern Do We REALLY Need a "Darker" Zelda?

I often hear fans arguing that they want the next game to be a darker, more mature game than the last. Thing is... I don't. That's not to say I won't enjoy it, I just think it's not what the series needs. I do want a more mature Zelda, but my definition of mature differs from what others might think. When I say mature, I don't mean swearing, blood coming out of injured enemies or whatever you expect from, say, God of War. When I say mature I mean something that handles it's subject matter in a way that doesn't talk down or sugar coat it. As in it isn't afraid to allow a believable relationship between Link and Zelda and let them do more than hold hands in one scene of Skyward Sword, isn't afraid to handle subject matter like racism, lust or the difficulties of running a country.

What I really think the series needs is a reconstruction. A game that reinvigorates the elements that makes it great. Take for example recent Sonic the Hedgehog games, particularly Sonic Colors. The crew behind that game wanted to recreate the look of the Genesis era games with brighter colors, catchier music and a not-so-serious story as opposed to the heavier stories past games wanted to tell with dull colors and chaotic stages. What I think is that instead of something "darker" we ask for something that makes what makes Zelda good better. Something that handles the hero's journey, exploration and fantasy adventure elements, as well as the whole saving the princess plot point, and make them work better.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
We don't REALLY need a darker story but of course us fans want the series to turn a new leaf and stop being generic with every installment. There are ways to make the "Hero saves the Princess" dynamic work for the better, but such routes are not trusted with certain people. Conversely there are ways to make said dynamic work for the worst, and that's quite easy to do.

Recent problems with the plotline are:
- Lack of effective execution after the buildup (Skyward Sword)
- Lack of buildup altogether (Twilight Princess)
- Generic characters that are put to death as soon as they appear (Skyward Sword, Twilight Princess)
- Nameless and faceless people as far as plot is concerned (pretty much all Zelda titles)
- Game's effectivePrincess does nothing, and when camera decides to pan on her it's just for people to see how kawaii her eyes are (Skyward Sword)

Now yes, I'm picking on the latest 3D titles butt hat's merely because they're in recent memory; all the problems I have are pretty much part of the entire series. Anyway, the plotline like you said just needs a bit of a restructure, not a reboot or anything like that. Characters that one feels for, proper buildup, and proper execution are key to the story. That's all I have to say. If there's a break in immersion during what is supposed to be a high-tension scene, people are not going to be happy and they may start to crave new formats.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Need and want are two very different things. Do I want a game to have good graphics? Of course I want it, but do I need it? No. Same can be said for many aspects of many games, and even aspects of life.

So, it's purely a matter of opinion, and personal preference. We don't need anything, but we can always ask and want things. As for Zelda having a darker story, as usual I don't mind, but I'd personally like to see it. For more than anything else, I just want Nintendo to try new things with their franchises! And I'm more a fan of mature storylines like that of Witcher, so it's purely my preference in that regard.

D

Dark.Link.91

Yes, the game like TP.... The story of Hero's Shade is interesting...

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
I think a darker game would seriously benefit the series. There's always too far. There's always the possibility of making a mindless bloodbath, but if we know anything then we know that that is not Zelda. We just want darker elements blended with Zelda's unbeatable charm. I somehow doubt Nintendo, creator of Jigglypuff, would make a mindless mainstream game. It would really benefit the series to create a game even darker than MM; while still remaining a Zelda game. It wouldn't be that big a stretch, and it could really help bring in people and older fans who might find some of the newer game childish (curse you, Toon Link).

I only want things that would make the game a better personal experience for myself. They aren't really things that the game needs. It's all just a matter of my opinion and what I like on a personal level. I'm a fan of gritty and darker themes over the brighter and more cheerful ones when it comes to most games. An example is that I would love for Zelda to include a full scale war in one of the future games. Maybe another kingdom trying to take Hyrule; the different races of Hyrule went to war or even a civil war within just one of the races.

Last edited:

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
It's more of a personal preference but if a solid amount of fans do essentially want a "darker" game then why not provide it?

I think the one thing that the Zelda franchise can get away with is bringing in completely new concepts and ideas with the game still being a Zelda game. The series can experiment meaning a lot of different experiences with each game and I would say that the series could indeed do with one truly dark Zelda title. Of course it's not the "be all and end all" the franchise can easily stray away and flip it's style once again but I feel like a lot of us want a darker Zelda game.

Like I have said before though the game itself can set it's self up to be darker, the only thing Zelda needs to be is realistic with themes that actually relate to what is happening. The story can essentially be dark with a slight change as the series tends to put a light hearted twist on a serious dark theme. All the ingredients are there for Nintendo to truly make a "darker" Zelda it's just if they do it or not, in a way it's not essentially "needed" but I feel they should at least try more realistic themes.

Last edited:

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Because it's already been done once and it proved to not fit the high fantasy vibe the series is supposed to have?
Zelda isn't a series that should be limited to what choices and what direction in which to go, if you're referring to Twilight Princess then this game only scraped the surface of a so called "dark" game. However if TP did anything it showed us that a game can have darker themes, realistic consequences and still be a hugely successful game. I know you have your view of the game but you shouldn't let biased come into a successful game, TP is one of the best selling Zelda games and best rated. If anything it proved that a darker themed game can be implemented into a fantasy series. Plus the fact that many people seem to crave a darker Zelda game.

Last edited:

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Zelda isn't a series that should be limited to what choices and what direction in which to go, if you're referring to Twilight Princess then this game only scraped the surface of a so called "dark" game. However if TP did anything it showed us that a game can have darker themes, realistic consequences and still be a hugely successful game. I know you have your view of the game but you shouldn't let biased come into a successful game, TP is one of the best selling Zelda games and best rated. If anything it proved that a darker themed game can be implemented into a fantasy series. Plus the fact that many people seem to crave a darker Zelda game.

Yeah, the mainstream Western fans, the ones who're the cause of it being overrated out the wazoo. What a surprise.

Just tell me this. Would you want a darker Mario? Would you want a lighthearted God of War? I highly doubt it. Series should stick to what they are at their core, and for Zelda, that's whimsical fantasy.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Yeah, the mainstream Western fans, the ones who're the cause of it being overrated out the wazoo. What a surprise.

Just tell me this. Would you want a darker Mario? Would you want a lighthearted God of War? I highly doubt it. Series should stick to what they are at their core, and for Zelda, that's whimsical fantasy.
Can't lie with numbers un lees you have witnessed everyones motives to buy the game then you can't make assumptions, plus the game is also highly rated among many reviewers and many fair reviewers might I add. To be honest I would go with their views over a biased view any day, in some ways even I can open up to Skyward Sword getting such a good reception, I think it's best not to let biased opinions get in the way of a successful game.

Last edited:

Zorth

#Scoundrel

So just because someone isn't from Asia and hasn't been following the series from start, their opinion is inferior?

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Can't lie with numbers un lees you have witnessed everyones motives to buy the game then you can't make assumptions, plus the game is also highly rated among many reviewers and many fair reviewers might I add. To be honest I would go with their views over a biased view any day, in some ways even I can open up to Skyward Sword getting such a good reception, I think it's best not to let biased opinions get in the way of a successful game.

1) Quit bringing up critical reception. Games like Super Mario Sunshine and Resident Evil 4 were also critically acclaimed, and they didn't deserve the praise they received at all.

2) I have no bias towards Twilight Princess. I'm merely pointing out that there was no reason to attempt a darker theme. It's not what the series is supposed to be. Again, would you ask for a darker Mario or a lighthearted God of War? No. That'd be ridiculous. What makes Zelda so different? What's the magical reason that makes it an exception?

So just because someone isn't from Asia and hasn't been following the series from start, their opinion is inferior?

It's not a secret that the mainstream Western audience has become partial towards games with gritty textures, lots of blood, offensive language, sex, and 'splosions. They tend to laugh at "kiddy" games like Mario and Zelda because they don't meet their ridiculous criteria. Why do you think so many third party developers stopped caring about creativity and innovation in the 7th generation? Because simplicity that feeds the brainless monkeys sells more than depth that feeds the hardcore gamers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom