• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Do People Really Think Link is Dead in Majora's Mask?

TattooArtist

I'm the B and my boyfriend is the T in LGBT ❤
I've been hearing this theory for so long and I can kind of understand why people would think he is dead, since when the 3 days are up the moon falls and crushes the entire land and you just see Link fade away into oblivion and the last words he hears is ["You've met with a terrible fate, haven't you?"[/QUOTE] which the Happy Mask Salesman says when you first meet him and when you last meet him, like seriously did he survive the moon crash or is that just Link's final thoughts?...

Anyway, if you think about this closely you notice that in each major realm of the game (Clock Town, Woodfall, Snowhead, Great Bay and Ikana Canyon) each have a theme of loss apart from Woodfall.
- Clock Town - The Happy Salesman looses the Majora's Mask
- Snowhead - The Goron baby crying because their father isn't there.
- Great bay - The female Zora has lost her eggs
- Ikana Canyon - The little girl's father has became a monster
There are 4 locations that have the theme of loss and in Japanese the number 4 is "shi" meaning "death". There are also the 5 stages people go through before seeing death called the Kübler-Ross model and those 5 stages are,
Denial
Anger
Bargaining
Depression
Acceptance

So, how do these themes connect with Majora's Mask?
Denial - Everyone in Clock Town is in denial, I mean the moon is about to fall in 3 days and no one seems to care.
Anger - The Happy Mask Salesman is angry because Link couldn't retrieve his Majora's Mask
Bargaining - The Goron Darmani is bargaining since he is asking Link to heal him and to pro-long is life.
Depresson - When it fails, Darmani becomes depressed and realises that there is no escape from death.
Acceptance - In Ikana Valley, you meet Sharp who you have to help come to terms with his sibling.

Those themes pretty much add up to death - the moon falls - you hear the final words of the happy mask salesman. What do you guys think?
(Theories helped by MatPat via YT)

Alita the Pun

Dmitri
Ok, I'll fill in for the hero of legend,

It is known that a child (namely: kokiri) who gets lost and dies in the lost woods will turn into a skull kid or stall child. If an adult gets lost/dies in the lost woods, he/she will become a stalfos.

Now in the Hyrule historia, it basically says that the hero's shade is the former hero of time. But the shade is obviously an adult skeleton/spirit. So the link is dead theory cannot be canon because If Link died as a kid, he would have become a stal child or skull kid.

The only way that it could be plausible is if mm was located in the child timeline (which it is) and if twilight princess did not exist.

So yeah :)

VitaTempusN92

Hero of Time! The True Zelda Genius!
It's called the five stages of grief, not the five stages of death. Not to mention the fact that grief doesn't always have to do with death, but rather depression in general. And @TattooArtist , you completely forgot about Woodfall.

Also, if Link died when the moon crashed, how is that make Termina purgatory then? I don't understand. This doesn't make much sense. How is the moon crashing the moment Link died before he came to Termina? I don't get it. I am so confused.

I do believe there is a timeline where Link failed to save Termina and died along with it due to the moon crash. But, however, I don't believe that the moon crashing into Termina, killing Link, is what brought Link to Termina in first place. Seriously, no offense, but your take on this theory doesn't really make much sense.

It is known that a child (namely: kokiri) who gets lost and dies in the lost woods will turn into a skull kid or stall child. If an adult gets lost/dies in the lost woods, he/she will become a stalfos.

Um...the kokiri don't turn into the skull kids or stall children. Kids outside of the forest (except special or important people that are brave and/or strong like Link and Zelda) do.

TattooArtist

It's called the five stages of grief, not the five stages of death. Not to mention the fact that grief doesn't always have to do with death, but rather depression in general. And @TattooArtist , you completely forgot about Woodfall.

Also, if Link died when the moon crashed, how is that make Termina purgatory then? I don't understand. This doesn't make much sense. How is the moon crashing the moment Link died before he came to Termina? I don't get it. I am so confused.

I do believe there is a timeline where Link failed to save Termina and died along with it due to the moon crash. But, however, I don't believe that the moon crashing into Termina, killing Link, is what brought Link to Termina in first place. Seriously, no offense, but your take on this theory doesn't really make much sense.

Um...the kokiri don't turn into the skull kids or stall children. Kids outside of the forest (except special or important people that are brave and/or strong like Link and Zelda) do.

I couldn't find any source of loss at the Woodfall at the time but now I have which is the monkey loosing his friend, the other monkey. Also I'm just curious to see if people really think Link is dead anyway despite other theories.

I couldn't find any source of loss at the Woodfall at the time but now I have which is the monkey loosing his friend, the other monkey. Also I'm just curious to see if people really think Link is dead anyway despite other theories.
It's the Deku King's anger at the loss of his daughter, if we go with the 5 stages idea.

Roger Rad

The Fabulous One
I know MM is from the success timeline branch, but it would be mind-blowing and an immediate answer to find out that MM was in the defeated hero timeline.

Alita the Pun

Dmitri
Your right, vita tempus,

This is try, I just got my facts mixed up on this one.

The "Link is dead" theory has been popular among a lot of my friends who (to be honest) don't know much about Zelda. So this is only a reasonable assumption because it is easy for newbies to understand but it is simply not possible

It is impossible for this theory to hold water. Quite frankly, I get tired of hearing it. There are a number reasons that disprove this, but I will just name the most obvious canon reason as to why he cannot be dead.

When he does die, he becomes the Hero Shade. Had he died as a kid, he would have become a skull kid. Furthermore The Hero of Time is still a kid in this game. The Hero of Twilight is a direct bloodline decendant of the Hero of Time as stated in the Hyrule Historia. For this to be possible, Link would have had to return to Hyrule, grown up, and had sex to concieve a child (widely accepted that he got with Malon).

When you take that into consideration, it is impossible for Link to be dead in Majora's Mask.

karu

Panamaniac
I would just like to enjoy the game without getting all physiological on it. In all honesty I think this theory is just that, a theory. Though I still have a deep, deep, deeep respect for both MatPat and PBG

TattooArtist

I would just like to enjoy the game without getting all physiological on it. In all honesty I think this theory is just that, a theory. Though I still have a deep, deep, deeep respect for both MatPat and PBG

I'm watching PBG hack wind waker right now :sweat::sweat:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom